ETA: Westburg IS an All-Star.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And Rooker is apparently the only top 15 OPS that didn’t make it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You mean small market teams have a hard time getting their best players selected in a system that is heavily influenced by idiots (fans) voting?

I’m shocked. Yet another continued shítty tradition by MLB. There are still people in Boston still probably voting for Nomar every year.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Went to a Rangers game last week and every 10 minutes they’d remind everybody to vote for Semien, who was awful that night. But, it was a pretty full house that had come watch a bad team. Bobblehead night (Lowe’s bobblehead for golden glove) probably didn’t hurt.

I flipped on a Baltimore game the other day, and I’d be surprised if it was even half full. And they have a great team.

Fan support matters in these situations. As dumb as it is.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Went to a Rangers game last week and every 10 minutes they’d remind everybody to vote for Semien, who was awful that night. But, it was a pretty full house that had come watch a bad team. Bobblehead night (Lowe’s bobblehead for golden glove) probably didn’t hurt.

I flipped on a Baltimore game the other day, and I’d be surprised if it was even half full. And they have a great team.

Semien has had a bad year. Hopefully, he's starting to warm up. Westburg should have been on the team, but don't discount the facts that Semien is coming off a World Series championship AND on the team that is hosting the All-Star game, in addition to your good comments on fan support. It is what it is, and I'm fine with that (and also a Rangers fan, so yes, biased).

Reactions: eckie1

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
They play different positions. Rafael Devers is the backup 3B for the AL over Westburg. He's batting.293 with 21HR and 55 RBI.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

A big part of it is just marketing and “tradition”. The metric for MLB career performance as far as how often were you “one of the best” has always been number of All-Star selections. Its a completely bogus system, where you are using a half-season performance and throwing in uneducated opinions to determine the best players each year.

The fact that it took MLB until 2019 to come up with the All-MLB team - a rough equivalent to the AP All-Pro team for NFL, or All-NBA team - is an abomination. And even with that implementation, its still 50% tied to fan voting. Everything from their salary / compensation structure to their best player awards is just blatantly used to prop up the big market teams.

Reactions: eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login