Even Sports Media can't report the story as it happens.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Modern journalism has become so tainted. In the past they mostly reported the story that occurred. Today they set a narrative that they claim the audience wants to hear and stick with it no matter what is actually happening. I listen to Dan Patrick every morning and read a few sports sites. I got disillusioned with the NBA and haven't really been following it like I used to. I was aware that the Grizzlies and Ja Morant were doing well, but it was mostly as a little side mention on DP and what I would see on SPS. I decided tonight to take a look at the NBA standings and the top 2 teams in each Conference are Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks in the East and the Pheonix Suns and Memphis Grizzlies in the West. I do know the Bucks won last year but I still hear about Lakers and LeBron, KD, Kyrie Irving, The Beard, Russel Westbrooke, Steph Curry, and Philadelphia 76ers most of the time. I actually was not aware that those 3 other teams were in front.

Are they just not smart enough, or just too lazy, to sell the actual story anymore?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
No league is as dependent on Superstars as the NBA. The closest comparison is now the NFL and QBs, but a single acquisition or FA signing could completely shift the balance of power in basketball.

I don’t find it surprising they’re getting more coverage than they average #8 seed. Especially when those stars are in LA or NY media markets. Their success, or struggles, are sizable headlines.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Because all the front runners are small market teams. They’re starting to get more attention now but it’s been slow coming.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I understand the NBA decision years ago about highlighting the stars. That was intended to have a talking point when things were slow. However it has overtaken what is actually happening in the league.

The NFL has been going down this road also as you mention. The playoffs this year were so great because of the competativeness of the games. Those games should be celebrated. I know there were "stars" involved, but the game is still the story.

Aug 22, 2012
The difference between regular season and playoff basketball is probably the biggest disparity in pro sports.

During the season players take games off for injury or rest and while one team might not have played in three days the other is playing their second game in as many nights. Once the playoffs start, you play every other day and you play the same opponent at least four times in a row. This means that some teams (think OKC after Durant left or Houston with James Harden) who excel at regular season basketball get exposed in the playoffs. Trust me, none of those Eastern teams want to play Brooklyn in the first round despite their regular season record. That's yet another reason why stars get so much attention.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
This is one of the most bizarre media complaints Ive ever seen.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Modern journalism has become so tainted. In the past they mostly reported the story that occurred. Today they set a narrative that they claim the audience wants to hear and stick with it no matter what is actually happening. I listen to Dan Patrick every morning and read a few sports sites. I got disillusioned with the NBA and haven't really been following it like I used to. I was aware that the Grizzlies and Ja Morant were doing well, but it was mostly as a little side mention on DP and what I would see on SPS. I decided tonight to take a look at the NBA standings and the top 2 teams in each Conference are Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks in the East and the Pheonix Suns and Memphis Grizzlies in the West. I do know the Bucks won last year but I still hear about Lakers and LeBron, KD, Kyrie Irving, The Beard, Russel Westbrooke, Steph Curry, and Philadelphia 76ers most of the time. I actually was not aware that those 3 other teams were in front.

Are they just not smart enough, or just too lazy, to sell the actual story anymore?

Wait til you find out how those same sites cover the Dallas Cowboys.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Because all the front runners are small market teams. They’re starting to get more attention now but it’s been slow coming.

I'm betting there's any number of podcasts, twitter feeds, and message boards/fan sites devoted to the Grizzlies? I'm not a hoophead but there is soooo much content for anyone who wants to get really into it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The difference between regular season and playoff basketball is probably the biggest disparity in pro sports.

During the season players take games off for injury or rest and while one team might not have played in three days the other is playing their second game in as many nights. Once the playoffs start, you play every other day and you play the same opponent at least four times in a row. This means that some teams (think OKC after Durant left or Houston with James Harden) who excel at regular season basketball get exposed in the playoffs. Trust me, none of those Eastern teams want to play Brooklyn in the first round despite their regular season record. That's yet another reason why stars get so much attention.

This is a great take.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's all about video/page views. The market matters in terms over coverage. As State fans, we should be use to this.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Ha, I never thought about this, but yeah, that is a big deal. I haven't watched much NBA since the Bull/Suns in like 1992, but still.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login