Even though I've never been an actual NASCAR fan, I find its history compelling. Here's some interesting stuff.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Bill France founded the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing — NASCAR — 75 years ago this week, on Feb. 21, 1948, in Daytona Beach, Florida.

"He knew Americans could relate to the vehicles on the racetrack. He also knew he could generate support from Detroit by pitting Chevys against Fords."

France boasted mechanical knowledge, fearlessness behind the wheel, a towering physical stature (6 foot 5 inches) and a charismatic personal presence.
He commanded respect from the toughest drivers in the nation — the proverbial backwoods moonshine runners who fueled the early pool of race-car drivers.

He moved to Daytona Beach, Florida, in 1934 with his wife, Anne (Bledsoe) — a nurse and North Carolina native — plus their year-old son Bill Jr. with only "a set of tools and $25 cash," according to one origin legend.
All three Frances became transformative figures in NASCAR.

Anne served as a longtime NASCAR executive. Bill Jr. took over NASCAR from his father, running the circuit from 1972 until 2000.
Daytona was a magnet for speed enthusiasts in the earliest days of the automobile — long before France arrived and even before France was born.
"On the hard-packed sands of Florida’s east coast, the idea of racing automobiles became a reality in 1903,"
English racer Sir Malcolm Campbell astounded onlookers by reaching a record speed of 278.6 MPH on Daytona Beach in 1935, propelled over the land by an aircraft engine.
"Daytona was looking to plug a hole in its economy," said Ken Martin, when it tapped France to help promote its beach-street races in the 1930s.
He took NASCAR off the beaches in the 1950, pushing the sport into its modern era.

He envisioned, planned and funded the racetrack of the future: Daytona International Speedway.
The 2.5-mile speedway opened in 1959. Among its ground-breaking features: 31-degree banking turns that allowed race cars to maintain dramatic speeds in the turns.
France built an even larger track in Alabama, the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway, in 1969.

"He had a vision for building these huge trace tracks, because he knew they'd handle high speeds and attract huge crowds," said Martin.

Daytona International Speedway, France's speedway, remains NASCAR’s premier track.

NASCAR moved the driver’s seat closer to the center of the vehicle, built a "cocoon" around the drivers, mandated head restraints and built soft-barrier walls to absorb some of the impact of a crash.
"Earnhardt’s death was a pivotal moment in our history," said Martin. "It made everyone refocus on safety."
Races have expanded far beyond NASCAR's early southeastern base. NASCAR races are held from California to New England, and from Austin to Milwaukee.
About 2.5 million people attend NASCAR races each year, generating about $200 million in revenue, according to industry data. Millions more watch each race on television.
NASCAR inked an $8.2 billion, 10-year deal with Fox Sports and NBC Sports in 2015.
NASCAR was briefly publicly traded, but is once again run by the France family.
"Big Bill" has enjoyed countless honors in the sports world.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Interesting, thanks for that. If Daytona is ground zero, how did North Carolina become so ingrained with racing? Appears it's simply because of the soil there, that packed well and was good for dirt tracks. It's crazy how things like that get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Interesting, thanks for that. If Daytona is ground zero, how did North Carolina become so ingrained with racing? Appears it's simply because of the soil there, that packed well and was good for dirt tracks. It's crazy how things like that get started.
That's where so many of the former bootleggers lived that were the early drivers and already competed against each other prior to NASCAR.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Everyone should go to at least 1 NASCAR race in their lives. Preferably a restrictor plate race at one of the super speedways. There's no way you can appreciate the sport until you see it live.
Watched several races in Texas and Daytona. Daytona is by far the better product.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Everyone should go to at least 1 NASCAR race in their lives. Preferably a restrictor plate race at one of the super speedways. There's no way you can appreciate the sport until you see it live.
I've been to just one thanks to free tickets and thoroughly enjoyed myself X 10 at Texas Motor Speedway. I can definitley rule in another trip in the future and would advise all to do the same. You get get head phones where you listen to the crew talking to the driver. My only trip was Jeff Gordon's fairwell tour that Jimmy Johnson's team won here in Fort Worth. I'll never forget hearing that pit crew guy yelling "Hell Yea Baby, Back in the Winner's Bracket!!" as Jimmy crossed the checkered flag. .

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Went to Daytona once, that was enough for me. Not enough happening to keep me occupied for hours. I don't mind watching highlights on Sports Center but I can't sit there for hours watching cars turn left all day

car talking GIF by South Park

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I can’t understand why more Mississippians aren’t driving in the NASCAR series. I’ve read about Lake Speed back in the 70’s thru 90’s. I know Ricky Stenhouse Jr is the Daytona 500 winner and from Olive Branch. There’s a truck driver, Chase Purdy, from Meridian. Both of these drivers has Ole Miss connections. We need a driver with MSU ties.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can’t understand why more Mississippians aren’t driving in the NASCAR series. I’ve read about Lake Speed back in the 70’s thru 90’s. I know Ricky Stenhouse Jr is the Daytona 500 winner and from Olive Branch. There’s a truck driver, Chase Purdy, from Meridian. Both of these drivers has Ole Miss connections. We need a driver with MSU ties.
Don't know how much interest there still is in it. There used to be some dirt tracks around. The one from my hometown is defunct, kinda creepy to see pictures of it, been sitting for 20 years. Always creeped me out to see an area that once had tons of activity, now have none. Sort of like dead malls.

I used to see guys all over Central MS that were into racing, now I just don't see anymore. Maybe there's still some down around Hattiesburg. I know some folks race those go-karts, but that might just be a fad.

Back to NASCAR, seems a lot of people were into in the early 2000s. But since then it's definitely faded, or seems like it has. It was all downhill after Talledega Nights, just seems like that sort of thing isn't valued anymore. I went to a race in Talladega, and it's not really my thing, but I'd still like to see it succeed. It's a cool deal for a lot of people, or it used to be.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Been to Talladega twice and Bristol once. Most boring experience I ever had was my first visit to Talladega (can't remember the year), but there was not a single caution flag and the longest of long shots - Bobby Hamilton - won simply because he got shuffled to the front on the last lap. Took forever to get out of there. Bristol is so unbelievably loud!! You'd have to pay me major bucks to go back to either place even if I was physically able.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Been to Talladega twice and Bristol once. Most boring experience I ever had was my first visit to Talladega (can't remember the year), but there was not a single caution flag and the longest of long shots - Bobby Hamilton - won simply because he got shuffled to the front on the last lap. Took forever to get out of there. Bristol is so unbelievably loud!! You'd have to pay me major bucks to go back to either place even if I was physically able.
Lol, I was at that Talladega race. Forgot who won it but remembered that blue square D 55 car. I went to the spring race almost every year from 99-2004. Only track I’ve ever seen a race at (toured a few others). Haven’t watched it in years but I still want to see a race at Bristol some day.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
I’m not sure if I had ever watched more than half of a nascar race. And then early last year I was flipping channels, trying to get off if cartoons. And I found a random xfinity race. My 4 year sat there and watched it or two hours straight. Since then, we’ve recorded and watched every cup race, and he can tell you more about the racers and tracks than I ever knew. His favorite Christmas present was a Garrett Smithly matchbox car.
in fact, he’s watching the replay of last years Martinsville race as we speak.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Back to NASCAR, seems a lot of people were into in the early 2000s. But since then it's definitely faded, or seems like it has. It was all downhill after Talledega Nights, just seems like that sort of thing isn't valued anymore. I went to a race in Talladega, and it's not really my thing, but I'd still like to see it succeed. It's a cool deal for a lot of people, or it used to be.
NASCAR had a really good thing going but weren’t reaching a small segment of the population so they changed their customer engagement strategies. That allowed them to lose existing customers and not pick up new ones.

Feb 4, 2015
Don't know how much interest there still is in it. There used to be some dirt tracks around. The one from my hometown is defunct, kinda creepy to see pictures of it, been sitting for 20 years. Always creeped me out to see an area that once had tons of activity, now have none. Sort of like dead malls.

I used to see guys all over Central MS that were into racing, now I just don't see anymore. Maybe there's still some down around Hattiesburg. I know some folks race those go-karts, but that might just be a fad.

There are still a lot of dirt tracks running in the state. Columbus has two tracks, Whynot track outside meridian,Hattiesburg,pike county speedway,outlaw speedway in perkingston,jxn motor speedway in Byram and one up in north Ms. There are zero asphalt tracks in this state and the one I spent many,many nights at was jxn international in Clinton which closed in ‘85. There’s just not enough drivers overall in this state to go big time. I’ve been to many nascar races,sprint car races and Indy car races but in person NOTHING compares to watch a nitro dragster or funny car!! Insanely loud and will vibrate you hard enough you can feel it in your rectom 🤣🤣

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Who?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login