Everybody acting like this whole 3 point phenomena is new…..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
…..but the MSU basketball I grew up on in the 90s bombed 3s from everywhere. I don’t understand basketball strategy much at all but I know that we aren’t going to be able to complete a comeback until we start hitting some.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
At South Carolina and home against Auburn last year we went 0-for from 3. That was with more offensive talent too. If people think that this is a Jans specific problem they don’t know Mississippi State basketball.
I’m not blaming Jans at all. Just amazing that we don’t have any guys that can do it. It’s not like these ‘analytics’ just came around yesterday.

Howland left us barren there for sure. And there aren’t many shooters in the portal because they are so valuable.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I’m not blaming Jans at all. Just amazing that we don’t have any guys that can do it. It’s not like these ‘analytics’ just came around yesterday.

Howland left us barren there for sure. And there aren’t many shooters in the portal because they are so valuable.
Howland’s best teams had Q Weatherspoon and Tyson Carter. Those guys could light it up from deep and freed everyone else on the offense. Until we get some guys like that we better enjoy rock fights

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
…..but the MSU basketball I grew up on in the 90s bombed 3s from everywhere. I don’t understand basketball strategy much at all but I know that we aren’t going to be able to complete a comeback until we start hitting some.
We need to recruit 3 point shooters. I don't see any on the team. Barry Stewart's, Shane powers, weatherspoon, bost, Zimmerman, Frazier, hell even Ravern Johnson better 3 point shooter than anyone we got. Jan's got his work cut out for him to get some shooters next off season.

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
We need to recruit 3 pint shooters. I don't see any on the team. Barry Stewart's, Shane powers, weatherspoon, bost, Zimmerman, Frazier, hell even Ravern Johnson better 3 point shooter than anyone we got. Jan's got his work cut out for him to get some shooters next off season.
Imagine some of those Stansbury locker room “personalities” on a Jans coached team

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think what’s amazing is this team isn’t limited to struggling from 3. We didn’t hit a single outside shot last night. Not one. Murphy hit a turnaround from about 8 feet. McNair baby hooked one from right underneath. Everything else was a layup or dunk. And we had some great looks last night. Its really incredible

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
If people can’t see the improvement in the execution of the half court sets over the last 11 years, they just haven’t been watching. We’re getting open shots but just don’t have the shooters. Sooner or later, some will start to fall. The level of hustle is vastly improved. We’ve gotta give Jans a year or two to get his guys into the system.

Howland freaking stole from us for 7 years. 0, zero, nary a 1 tourney win. Lazy *** recruiter and coach. Take a look at NMSU this year. They are freaking awful. They’ve lost all 6 conference games so far. Jans lost 7 in 4 years combined excluding the Covid year. It’s not a coincidence that NMSU sux this year. Give this guy time and I think he’ll win here. Keep supporting him.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Howland’s best teams had Q Weatherspoon and Tyson Carter. Those guys could light it up from deep and freed everyone else on the offense. Until we get some guys like that we better enjoy rock fights
Q and Tyson weren’t great 3 point shooter either. Q was very good. Tyson was good. 36.8 and less than 35%. Q also didn’t take a ton of attempts.

Daryl Wilson was 40%.
Stephen Curry was 41.2%

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Q and Tyson weren’t great 3 point shooter either. Q was very good. Tyson was good. 36.8 and less than 35%. Q also didn’t take a ton of attempts.

Daryl Wilson was 40%.
Stephen Curry was 41.2%

Historical comparisons are hard to make. Wilson played with the 19’9” line. Curry played on that one for all but one year. Q on the 20’9” line. And Tyson only played one year on the current line.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Historical comparisons are hard to make. Wilson played with the 19’9” line. Curry played on that one for all but one year. Q on the 20’9” line. And Tyson only played one year on the current line.
Tyson not Q would be in the top 88 today at their percentages.

Tyson wouldn’t be in the top 100.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005

This. Jans=Napier. Howland=Dino Merkins

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I am amazed that as big as the three is at all levels these days, that you could actually field a team of ten guys, none of which are shooters…What are the odds?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Boy do I appreciate Tyson Carter more now than I did in his playing days.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Daryl Wilson was 40%.
Stephen Curry was 41.2%

We hit any of these percentages as a team Saturday and we likely beat Auburn on the road.

Beyond frustrating.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Fire Loser Brooks and bring Zimmerman back. Hell he could beat anyone 1 on 1 on our team now.
I agree. What does he bring to the table? Our recruiting stinks. Hell I can’t imagine Hamilton sticks around since he can’t even see the floor behind this bunch of brick layers.

It would be different if we had big men that were improving each year but we continually miss more around the rim than any other team I’ve seen. Brooks obviously doesn’t make a difference with free throws or layups.

Reactions: Anon1664516582
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login