Expectations for new coach…

ColoradoDawg

Sep 3, 2016
Is taking us to the tourney year 1 an unreasonable expectation? Howland basically rebuilt our program into a perennial bubble team, so we are right there. How long does new coach get if he doesn’t get us in?

Aug 28, 2018
Expectations VS Reality

Expectations- Tourney in yr 1

Reality- Likely take til year two unless we keep ALL the current pieces (current+incoming) in place. OR add significant new pieces

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Is taking us to the tourney year 1 an unreasonable expectation? Howland basically rebuilt our program into a perennial bubble team, so we are right there. How long does new coach get if he doesn’t get us in?

Expectations initially are that they put a product on the floor that is attractive to fans. Yes I get it that winning is the ultimate fan attractant but we have suffered the past four or so years with a style of play that was just not fun to watch sometimes even when we won the game.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I think it is probably unreasonable. If everyone that was eligible to return actually did? Maybe then it would be a possibility. But we all know that ain’t happening.

Tolu and Molinar each have a year left, and the coach that brought them here is gone. Plus, Molinar is turning 23 in December. Tolu will be 22 in July. Both are what they are as college players….I don’t expect either to be back. Maybe the right replacement hire plus some added NIL loot might convince one of them to stick around. But I think it will be either the draft or portal to a major contender for both of them, most likely. Brooks is also gone.

So, can you build a tourney team with Moore, Garcia, Matthews, Jeffries, Watts, and Fountain…plus newcomers? I’d say that’s pretty damn unlikely. And some guys from that group will be looking for other opportunities as well.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No expectations should be placed on a new coach until the roster is sorted out.
Who is staying vs leaving is a little bit in the hands of the new staff, but its largely out of the new staff's hands. That's just reality instead of hope.

See what talent is on the team and then go from there.

One thing the new staff does have control over is the transfer market for incoming players. Whoever gets the job damn well better fill in openings with some immediate talent.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Rosters change so much now (even without a coaching change). Almost nothing gets passed from one coaching staff to the next. I won't be surprised if half our roster is gone by next year. You've got to expect a new coach is going to bring in a few transfers with him.

I think it's unreasonable to expect to make the tourney in year 1 - but it certainly wouldn't be surprising. You can completely overhaul a team with just 2 or 3 transfers.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Get ready we are about to get an assistant that you never heard of or a mid major head coach you never heard of. Cohen isn’t up to the task see NMP or Joe Moe or Andy C….the jury is out on Leach. Cohen can’t market to his own fans how could he possibly market his basketball program to a prime candidate?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I've often wondered if it would be in MSU's best interest to continue to shovel money into football, or just do the minimum there, live off the SEC and being a doormat, and try to win big in basketball. You can make serious money in basketball, and it's obviously easier to compete there than in football. PLUS - it's less expensive for the average joe fan to make a basketball game.

I'm a football guy, so I'd rather be good in football, but honestly I've almost given up. We got so close under Mullen, only to see us fall short and then collapse. If Leach doesn't work out, I might give up. And I certainly understand that basketball and baseball overlap, and they only get you from November to May/June. We need something to do in the fall and it seems more logical for MSU to try and win in football and baseball. Not to mention folks around here are in the woods during the winter.

Just a thought. We almost won a national title, and we've won the SEC, in the modern era of basketball. We've never really gotten close in football.

Or ****, let's just quit 17ing around and try to win at everything.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I've often wondered if it would be in MSU's best interest to continue to shovel money into football, or just do the minimum there, live off the SEC and being a doormat, and try to win big in basketball. You can make serious money in basketball, and it's obviously easier to compete there than in football. PLUS - it's less expensive for the average joe fan to make a basketball game.

I'm a football guy, so I'd rather be good in football, but honestly I've almost given up. We got so close under Mullen, only to see us fall short and then collapse. If Leach doesn't work out, I might give up. And I certainly understand that basketball and baseball overlap, and they only get you from November to May/June. We need something to do in the fall and it seems more logical for MSU to try and win in football and baseball. Not to mention folks around here are in the woods during the winter.

Just a thought. We almost won a national title, and we've won the SEC, in the modern era of basketball. We've never really gotten close in football.

Or ****, let's just quit 17ing around and try to win at everything.
How much longer will the SEC be around 5 years? 10 Years? Things change rapidly nowadays. If everything moves to one Super Conference that gets all of the TV revenue does that Conference pick Ole Miss or MSU? I can almost guarantee it wont be both. Thats why you invest in Football.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Recruit your *** off and find good talent but coachable talent.

Improvement throughout year and each year.

Make the tourney within 3 years (sooner depending on who stays and goes).

Make the tourney every other year after that or 50% of the time.

Win at least 1 game in the tourney 2 out of 3 visits.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I sure hope so but I’ve been a bulldog a long time…now I will admit we haven’t had SEC money and maybe money makes Cohen and MSU palatable but I don’t trust Cohen to be able to punch through a wet paper bag.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
My expectations are more about the product like some have already mentioned.

I wanna see a more fun and fast paced style of play. I’d like to actually see some shooters on the team or atleast improved perimeter shooting from the current roster with a ton of time spent on that.

Id like to see a winning streak at some point of 4+ games maybe. Just any type of momentum to build on.

I’d like to see us hold a lead late in the game or actually be on the right side of a come back late. Just a mental change with aggressiveness and confidence late in the game and a lot of that comes from the coach with his attitude and leadership.

Some in game coaching and good X’s and O’s Plays out of timeouts. Smarter timeouts taken by our coach… seemed like 99% of the time we actually had a run and momentum going our own coach would call a timeout and kill the crowd noise and our own momentum with a timeout.

If we keep the current roster I would expect another bubble season. Without Molinar a NIT season similar to this year not really a serious consideration on the bubble at season end.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How much longer will the SEC be around 5 years? 10 Years? Things change rapidly nowadays. If everything moves to one Super Conference that gets all of the TV revenue does that Conference pick Ole Miss or MSU? I can almost guarantee it wont be both. Thats why you invest in Football.
Fair enough, so better question. We are obviously chasing niches in football (Air Raid, etc.) so what do we do for basketball? What's our strategy? Do we go hard after MS/AL/LA/TN players like Williams/Stans did? Do we go primarily out of state, which we've never really done before? Do we live in the portal? Do we go after a specific type of player who likely won't transfer? Analytics?

What is MSU basketball? What's our identity?

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It’s just going to depend on what our roster looks like, and that’s more fluid than ever in the transfer portal era. Heck we have had fruit basket turnover every year anyway the last few seasons, and that was before a coaching change.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would agree it will depend on roster but realistically you are asking a new coach to finish no lower than 6th or 7th in the league to get in the tournament or at least be on the bubble.

Looking at the league now, Georgia and Ole Miss don't appear to be good next year. Florida is losing 7 players from this year's roster, Missouri is a really young team and probably 2 years away from being competitive, South Carolina is losing 5 players from a mediocre roster, LSU will be a disaster, A&M is losing 4 from the current roster and Vanderbilt is well, Vanderbilt.

With all of that said, that leaves Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas and maybe Alabama.

I don't think it's a stretch for a new coach, assume it's Jans, to get us to 6th place next year. With a solid non-conference record, that should get us dancing next March.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
No, it's not. But I wouldn't find fault with a 1st year coach solely if it the team missed the tourney in Year 1

BiscuitEater

Aug 29, 2009
Depends! How many on State team depart? Does he bring anyone with him? Do good players want to play for him? Are his assistants any good at recruiting? Many unanswered guestions!

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019

Whoever we get as a coach needs to win the stans apologists to have any sort of chance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login