Eye in the sky

Has replay run it's course and it is now time to stop using it?

• No, Let's review EVERYTHING!

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Greatly Limit on what can be reviewed

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • Keep it as it is so at least some calls are right

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Let's get rid of it so there is at least acceptance a call can be wrong and we can move on

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I know this is a bit of a reaction to that debacle. I get more pissed when there is a review and they still get it wrong than in the time before replay. The shot of Georgia's number 8 near the batting circle mouthing off and being held back and then not getting tossed is truly terrible and makes me ask why do it if you still are incompetent.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don’t want to greatly limit what can be reviewed. But I would greatly limit when. No sense in reviewing some stuff in the second inning. Especially in March and April.

Reactions: 17itdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
We were told reviews would get the calls right and wouldn't take more than a minute. They do get some calls right, but they get a lot wrong too, even with review. And they take a LOT longer than we were told. And we're creating a generation of referees/umpires who are scared to make a call. Better just to scrap review entirely. If they really would just take a quick look and only overturn obvious errors like they're supposed to, it might work. But they've proven they won't do that.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I like the big league version of it.

Give 2 reviews a game. Coaches have to challenge immediately.

Umpires can review Homers/Plays at the Plate-- anytime at their descretion--- nothing else.

All bangers at 1st, slides, fair fouls, etc have to be challenged by the coach.. and if hes used up his challenges then he's SOL

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Time Limits

Reviewing some calls should be limited to a set time. Think about what this might have done Saturday night and it's been set for a five minute maximum.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
The shot of Georgia's number 8 near the batting circle mouthing off and being held back and then not getting tossed is truly terrible and makes me ask why do it if you still are incompetent.
This was the most egregious part of the ordeal. How did they spend 40 minutes reviewing something that lasted 10 seconds and not catch the player who was most visible and aggressive. I gotta think they meant to eject him and screwed up and ejected Amani Larry (no. 8) instead.

Also, the call for review was from UGA to see if Long was blocking the plate before receiving the ball (he wasnt). If that hadn't been requested, then NONE of that other garbage would have even been looked at. Why are the replay officials in Birmingham looking into some minor scuffle that none of the on-field umps felt warranted ANY ejections?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Time Limits

Reviewing some calls should be limited to a set time. Think about what this might have done Saturday night and it's been set for a five minute maximum.
About Saturday night. Even if something had happened (nothing did), they should have just let the umpires handle it on the field and then the SEC office can spend all the time they need to review the footage and hand out suspensions. A 45-minute review should not even be possible. Really any review over 2 minutes should not be possible. If you can't clearly, and I mean clearly so there's no debate, overturn a call in less than 2 minutes, it stands. But review creep has proven they won't adhere to any time limits, or limits in what can be reviewed or standards for how clear the error must be to overturn.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know this is a bit of a reaction to that debacle. I get more pissed when there is a review and they still get it wrong than in the time before replay. The shot of Georgia's number 8 near the batting circle mouthing off and being held back and then not getting tossed is truly terrible and makes me ask why do it if you still are incompetent.

Review technology itself isn’t the issue

The People Who Review are the issue

The SEC needs to hire some competent people and seriously educate some officials.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
I like MLB replay, but IMO it’s almost worthless in college and could go away completely.
- Camera angles, quality, are so much worse in college compared to MLB. On close bangers it’s often just a blurry mess on replay, or a camera angle from the moon, wasting time for review until the call stands.
- offsite anonymous reviews should be banned. Have the on field head ump who feels some accountability for the game review the replays or not at all. The crew Saturday was AAA lifers with tons of experience breaking up that kind of event. Guarantee they did not want a non-event like that to cause ejections and a 45 minute delay, and they were powerless to stop it. Let the umpires who are actually there run the game.

Will add that the MLB off site review works better, because they use identifiable competent umpires with better technology to make a fast review.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Saturday night was a once in 10 years cluster fork. You can't make sweeping changes based on something so rare. That being said, I like the two challenges rule of MLB.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm stuck between greatly limit and accept that some calls will be wrong and move on. Sometimes getting calls wrong is just a part of the game. You have to be ready to overcome that. I think I agree with someone else here who said limit when review can be used and how long it takes. I mean it's just life. Some stuff isn't going to go your way even when you are right. It's almost like we are obsessed with perfection in all aspects of life. We expect people to be perfect, and no one is. We expect our kids to be perfect, our politicians, our celebrities, our game officials. I think it makes us nit picking miserable misanthropes.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I guess my issue with time limits is that there are many people who are "we need to get it right" and will not stick to a 1 minute review.

I also abhor coaches challenges and limiting that to 2 or 3. If you are getting screwed over by bad officiating, it is not fair to be forced to keep one in your pocket and let early bad calls go just in case there is one in the final part of the game. I mean if you have 5 bad calls against you in a game you are cheated. So I lean to wards none or all.

There definitely should be no more punishment reviews that hold up a game. The umpires on site make any immediate removals and suspensions can come later for the next game or somewhere down the road. This unfortunately is another example of when a single body dictates the rules there is an issue. There is no appeal process and that needs to be part of any suspensions and not some Alabama fan sitting in Birmingham.

Last edited:
Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I think it's likely they didn't have that video. If they did, the incompetence is maybe more stunning, if that's possible.

But this points out the problem of putting it in the hands of folks not on sight. If the local crew was embarrassed, that means they had absolutely no influence on the decisions being made by folks using only video, and limited video at that.

The video review should aid the on sight crew where it can, but what happened Saturday was senseless.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I hate how the reaction to every buzzer beater in basketball is ruined by the refs running around telling everyone they’re going to review the final shot.
I just love how at the end of the game .3 seconds matter but throughout the game they don’t. Kind of like the chain verifies a first down to the millimeter, but when they were set for the first down it was eyeballed within a foot or so.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I am still of the opinion the SEC needs to deem this a "no contest". There is just no justification whatsoever to count what happened after the top of the 8th, in particular since #8 had no business even getting the opportunity to hit that game-winning HR.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login