Favre, Tate and a lot of federal welfare dollars

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Somebody got the texts between Tate and Favre about diverting money for the poor to help the incredibly improverished USM women's volleyball team get a new stadium the poor in MS could be proud of. Also it looks like there is corruption in the welfare system: The rich, powerful and connected get their hands on millions of dollars intended for the poor:
“Under Davis, [Mississippi’s Department of Human Services] rejected nearly 99% of poor welfare applicants in 2016 as he moved tens of millions in TANF funds…toward projects favored by wealthy and powerful individuals.”

Mississippi Free Press

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
So Tate took a phone call from Favre? The story doesn’t make this part clear, because they don’t want to, but Favre didn’t get the $1.6m in state funds he was seeking from Tate. I’m failing to see what Tate did was wrong or corrupt as the OP stated….

Now, the previous Governor’s DHS Director did fund the volleyball facility using TANF funds. That deserves all the scrutiny that can be had.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Depends on what this investigation reveals. Maybe he's uninvolved. Maybe not. But my comment is generally accurate. See the Georgia senate race where one guy put a gun to woman's head but the other guy ran over he ex's foot. For a lot of people, what mattered most was who had the R and who had the D next to their name and the awful qualities of their guy were ignored or rationalized away because the other guy had character flaws too.

Reactions: The Fatboy

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Depends on what this investigation reveals. Maybe he's uninvolved. Maybe not. But my comment is generally accurate. See the Georgia senate race where one guy put a gun to woman's head but the other guy ran over he ex's foot. For a lot of people, what mattered most was who had the R and who had the D next to their name and the awful qualities of their guy were ignored or rationalized away because the other guy had character flaws too.
Absolutely, the sheep definitely think that way.

But you see, I’m the anti-sheep. Perhaps you should have picked someone else to respond to when trying to make your ‘people are partisan idiots’ point.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Absolutely, the sheep definitely think that way.

But you see, I’m the anti-sheep. Perhaps you should have picked someone else to respond to when trying to make your ‘people are partisan idiots’ point.
Twitch Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez GIF by GIPHY News

Reactions: Dawgg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
your OP sure insinuated he was in the wrong, and you doubled down in a reply to insinuate he was corrupt.
Fair enough. I mentioned him and "corruption" in the first post and I was generalizing in the second post but didn't make that clear. I should revise the post, including the sarcasm, but I'll leave it. Plus I was bored and we're in a dead season so I started the thread. The quote from the article was about Davis and his leadership. He deserved to be fired. The Tate/Favre stuff could be a nothingburger. For the second post, my thought was that even if Tate, or any popular Republican governor in MS, did something suspect, he'd likely still get re-elected. I don't think Tate is personally corrupt or some morally compromised leader. But, I'd like to seen a thorough investigation. But again, I see you point.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Bleh, this story has played out, punishments handed down. Libs are just trying to take down TateR, and it won’t happen. He will be re-elected again and life will go on.

TateR has been a good governor, when looking at results.
Not sure about him being a good governor or not, but my life isn’t better or worse due to his policies. Except for maybe his and this states views on abortion and legislation passed during his tenure.
I wish they would actively work to bring in more manufacturing into the state at a higher rate than they are. Wish they would have worked to get some chip manufacturing in the state.
I personally love it when they use tax incentives to bring in new market sectors into the state where they don’t currently exist.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not sure about him being a good governor or not, but my life isn’t better or worse due to his policies. Except for maybe his and this states views on abortion and legislation passed during his tenure.
I wish they would actively work to bring in more manufacturing into the state at a higher rate than they are. Wish they would have worked to get some chip manufacturing in the state.
I personally love it when they use tax incentives to bring in new market sectors into the state where they don’t currently exist.
You’ve got it backwards.

Great foundations have been laid for attracting business during his tenure, and we’ve also gotten plenty (and not boondoggles either).

On the other hand, he needs to get out of the morality legislation game (abortion included). All Republicans do.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So Tate took a phone call from Favre? The story doesn’t make this part clear, because they don’t want to, but Favre didn’t get the $1.6m in state funds he was seeking from Tate. I’m failing to see what Tate did was wrong or corrupt as the OP stated….

Now, the previous Governor’s DHS Director did fund the volleyball facility using TANF funds. That deserves all the scrutiny that can be had.
This is just typically ******** journalism. They decided they wanted to tie reeves to the welfare scandal. There’s not any evidence that he is yet, so they do a story about Fabre and the welfare scandal and put the headline about Favre asking for state funding from Tate. The texts if anything imply Tate was clear of it all. Didn’t commit to anything. To the extent any hope was offered, it was for money through a bond bill, which would be a typical avenue for a state university to get funds for capital improvements.

and those two *** hat “journalists”’will probably get an award from other asshat “journalists” for this story, because they advanced the right narrative.

Reactions: tribaldawg

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Sure. What did he do lately? He's been that way for decades but I'm not sure that's a reason to ignore this.
WTF? have you been hiding under a rock? He is on the committee to block finishing of the Yazoo Back Water pumps....getting them finished has been all political....and its his district....instead of doing the right thing, he follows the far left nut jobs who tell him what to do...he is an embarrassment to himself mostly, and the state....if we would have had them in place before the last flood, lives would have been saved, homes saved, hundreds of thousands of acres of crops salvaged....oh and all the 'endangered' plants they claimed they were protecting are now extinct....and, he still sides with California nut jobs with their frivolous lawsuits in blocking the pumps.....i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire....Bennie Thompson is a public enemy.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Maybe there's some corruption involved or he's just acting like a Dem. The EPA blocked that project

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Somebody got the texts between Tate and Favre about diverting money for the poor to help the incredibly improverished USM women's volleyball team get a new stadium the poor in MS could be proud of. Also it looks like there is corruption in the welfare system: The rich, powerful and connected get their hands on millions of dollars intended for the poor:
“Under Davis, [Mississippi’s Department of Human Services] rejected nearly 99% of poor welfare applicants in 2016 as he moved tens of millions in TANF funds…toward projects favored by wealthy and powerful individuals.”

Mississippi Free Press

I'm shocked when I see a politician of any stripe do something that doesn't seem self serving or borderline corrupt.

If you start from this place you'll spend much less time angry about politics.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

More Manufacturing = More $$$ = More Targets

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe there's some corruption involved or he's just acting like a Dem. The EPA blocked that project
Well, it's a problem that fanatics at the EPA have so much power, but there are ways to force administrative agencies' hands. The fanatics get overruled if they are jeopardizing funding. And Bennie was well positioned to fight for that, but he didn't care to. Should have been a top priority for him considering how it impacts his district and something to go to the mat over.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
This is just typically ******** journalism. They decided they wanted to tie reeves to the welfare scandal. There’s not any evidence that he is yet, so they do a story about Fabre and the welfare scandal and put the headline about Favre asking for state funding from Tate. The texts if anything imply Tate was clear of it all. Didn’t commit to anything. To the extent any hope was offered, it was for money through a bond bill, which would be a typical avenue for a state university to get funds for capital improvements.

and those two *** hat “journalists”’will probably get an award from other asshat “journalists” for this story, because they advanced the right narrative.
If it weren't for the two asshat journalist you wouldn't even know about this. NONE of the other major media networks got on this story until they broke it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If it weren't for the two asshat journalist you wouldn't even know about this. NONE of the other major media networks got on this story until they broke it.
You're going to have to provide a source for this. If they really broke this story, they are doing a ****** job promoting it because it looks like Anna Wolfe beat them to it by a year if you just search google.

It looks like Anna Wolfe did all the work and they are just covering what she brought to light, but also dishonestly using a headline to try to imply that Tate had something to do with the TANF fraud even though they don't provide any evidence of it.

It's why we don't have decent journalism. People that do the actual legwork and maintain objectivity reap very few rewards for doing the work and having ethics. *** hats that piggy back off the work of others and put sensationalist and/or partisan spins on the work get more recognition and compensation on average.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
You're going to have to provide a source for this. If they really broke this story, they are doing a ****** job promoting it because it looks like Anna Wolfe beat them to it by a year if you just search google.

It looks like Anna Wolfe did all the work and they are just covering what she brought to light, but also dishonestly using a headline to try to imply that Tate had something to do with the TANF fraud even though they don't provide any evidence of it.

It's why we don't have decent journalism. People that do the actual legwork and maintain objectivity reap very few rewards for doing the work and having ethics. *** hats that piggy back off the work of others and put sensationalist and/or partisan spins on the work get more recognition and compensation on average.
My mistake. That's who I thought we were talking about. Her and Geoff Pender did the original articles. my bad.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

Cnn News GIF by Travis

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
No we all knew it was the Giant douche vs the turd sandwich. I voted for the sandwich not because of the letter but in the hopes it would prevent the current administration from doing more harm to this country

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Bleh, this story has played out, punishments handed down. Libs are just trying to take down TateR, and it won’t happen. He will be re-elected again and life will go on.

TateR has been a good governor, when looking at results.
Everything is not about "libs". These people stole from the most needy we have and every stone should be overturned to find all involved. If ole Tate is part of it then he absolutely deserves to be implicated and punished.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
No we all knew it was the Giant douche vs the turd sandwich. I voted for the sandwich not because of the letter but in the hopes it would prevent the current administration from doing more harm to this country
More harm than say an entire elected body texting to try to overthrow an election? You know this little thing called authoritarianism, sedition, etc.

"Mark Meadows reportedly exchanged texts with at least 34 GOP lawmakers as they plotted to overturn the 2020 election. One endorsed imposing martial law."

"GOP Congressman Wanted Trump to Invoke ‘Marshall Law’ to Stay in Office: Leaked Texts"

That's exactly who we need to fight to keep in office. People who would destroy our republic through violence.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Mississippi Free Press

I have detached myself from most media in the past while…. Well at least non college sports media.

Before I click on that and read it….. who do they blame for Jackson’s decades long in the making water crisis, where the disbursement of the settlement money from seimens went from the water meter suit, and the missing Covid million that Jackson can’t account for?

if it’s not primarily Jackson city officials… I’m not interested in their little online blog. If they are fair… I’ll give ‘em a shot.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
More harm than say an entire elected body texting to try to overthrow an election? You know this little thing called authoritarianism, sedition, etc.

"Mark Meadows reportedly exchanged texts with at least 34 GOP lawmakers as they plotted to overturn the 2020 election. One endorsed imposing martial law."

"GOP Congressman Wanted Trump to Invoke ‘Marshall Law’ to Stay in Office: Leaked Texts"

That's exactly who we need to fight to keep in office. People who would destroy our republic through violence.
There are a lot of idiots and kooks in Congress, mostly in the house side but not exclusively. One kook doesn't mean the "entire elected body" is trying to overthrow the government nor does it impugn the people making legal challenges, which has happened by both sides consistently for at least the past 22 years and I'm sure longer. It's not like election law just became a thing in the past two years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
34 GOP members is plenty. I'm sickened by what has become of the GOP. Once one party has attempted to overthrow an election, there is no more whataboutism or comparison to the past 22 years. January 6th happened once, in the lifetime of our nation under one leader and one party. this is NOT politics as usual.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
34 GOP members is plenty. I'm sickened by what has become of the GOP. Once one party has attempted to overthrow an election, there is no more whataboutism or comparison to the past 22 years. January 6th happened once, in the lifetime of our nation under one leader and one party. this is NOT politics as usual.
If you are sickened that 34 lawmakers strategized about lawsuits after an election, I'd hate to see your reaction to know that wayyyyyyy more than 34 GOP lawmakers and wayyyyyyy more than 34 Democrat lawmakers have been involved in strategy sessions on election litigation.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you are sickened that 34 lawmakers strategized about lawsuits after an election, I'd hate to see your reaction to know that wayyyyyyy more than 34 GOP lawmakers and wayyyyyyy more than 34 Democrat lawmakers have been involved in strategy sessions on election litigation.
January 6th certainly resembled a bunch of attorneys carrying their legal briefs, subpoenas and lawsuits to the capitol.*********

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Right is right; wrong is wrong. It’s not political. Money was appropriated by Congress for the poor. If anyone misused the trust of our legislative body, he or she should be prosecuted in a court of law. Some of you fail at “honesty 101.”

patdog

May 28, 2007
When one side does it, it’s “ensuring we have fair and unbiased elections.” When the other side does it, it’s “attempting to overthrow the government.”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login