FC/OT: Terry’s daughter Jessica Pegula in the Australian Open QF…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Will play #1 seed Ashleigh Barty next.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I thought that last night was the best match I've ever seen her play. She came out playing great, had a little lull late in the 1st set, but then dominated the tiebreaker and the 2nd set. This was a huge tournament for her, as she made the quarterfinals in Australia last year, and all of those ranking points will roll off after this event and they were really helping her stay in the top 32. Last year in Australia was also her first top 10 win, and since that time, she's 8-4 against top 10 players. She'll have her hands full with Barty in the quarters, but if she plays like she did last night, it will be a match. Interesting that no one left in the women's draw has ever won an Australian Open, and the only one left on the men's side that's won it is Nadal (and he's only got one of them).

Reactions: Midnighter

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
I thought that last night was the best match I've ever seen her play. She came out playing great, had a little lull late in the 1st set, but then dominated the tiebreaker and the 2nd set. This was a huge tournament for her, as she made the quarterfinals in Australia last year, and all of those ranking points will roll off after this event and they were really helping her stay in the top 32. Last year in Australia was also her first top 10 win, and since that time, she's 8-4 against top 10 players. She'll have her hands full with Barty in the quarters, but if she plays like she did last night, it will be a match. Interesting that no one left in the women's draw has ever won an Australian Open, and the only one left on the men's side that's won it is Nadal (and he's only got one of them).
That first set was great. You could see the momentum go back and forth but Jess came back incredibly strong in the tiebreak. She had a few times where she was at the net and was overwhelmed by Sakari's forehand. But she is playing a lot of doubles and that will only help with her net game. Jess is very chill. Chris Evert said at last years AO that she didn't even realize that Jess was living across the street from her in Boca. Go Jess, go Bills!!

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
You should read this article about Jessica's mother...

LINK:

"My mom is the president and owner of both the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. She loved to work. She did everything and our family constantly told her how she needs to slow down and take time for herself. She was the woman behind my dad’s success and my dad would happily admit that. She jumped into this journey with him and learned many lessons along the way, breaking a lot of barriers. She was the shift in culture, positivity, and the heartbeat of many of the employees. She gave everyone so much of her time and effort. She lived it and loved it, and it was felt by everyone she met. Now we come to the realization that all of that is most likely gone. That she won’t be able to be that person anymore."

"Going into the 2023 Australian Open, I decided to wear the number 3 patch to honor Damar Hamlin. Ironically, yes, I was ranked No. 3 in the world. However, it didn’t feel like it was just for him, it felt like it was for my mom as well. To see the attention it garnered in Australia, across the world, in a different country, just reminded me why I love sports and the beauty of coming together. Some of my close friends who know every detail of what has happened tell me, “I don’t know how you have made it through the year, let alone finished No. 3 in the world.” I just say I have no freaking clue. I guess one thing I learned from the past year is it can be a great year, and a bad year, both can be true."

Last edited:

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
You should read this article about Jessica's mother...

LINK:

"My mom is the president and owner of both the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. She loved to work. She did everything and our family constantly told her how she needs to slow down and take time for herself. She was the woman behind my dad’s success and my dad would happily admit that. She jumped into this journey with him and learned many lessons along the way, breaking a lot of barriers. She was the shift in culture, positivity, and the heartbeat of many of the employees. She gave everyone so much of her time and effort. She lived it and loved it, and it was felt by everyone she met. Now we come to the realization that all of that is most likely gone. That she won’t be able to be that person anymore."

"Going into the 2023 Australian Open, I decided to wear the number 3 patch to honor Damar Hamlin. Ironically, yes, I was ranked No. 3 in the world. However, it didn’t feel like it was just for him, it felt like it was for my mom as well. To see the attention it garnered in Australia, across the world, in a different country, just reminded me why I love sports and the beauty of coming together. Some of my close friends who know every detail of what has happened tell me, “I don’t know how you have made it through the year, let alone finished No. 3 in the world.” I just say I have no freaking clue. I guess one thing I learned from the past year is it can be a great year, and a bad year, both can be true."
Thanks for sharing. Definitely puts a lump in your throat.

Reactions: step.eng69

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Jessica (lives in Boca Raton, FL next to Delray Beach, FL) likely may be playing in the Billie Jean King Cup (Women's Davis Cup) here in my hometown of Delray Beach, FL in April with Coco Gauff who was born and raised in Delray Beach. Also the Williams sisters may be playing as well as they grew up in Delray Beach.

Link for Tennis Tourney

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Jessica (lives in Boca Raton, FL next to Delray Beach, FL) likely may be playing in the Billie Jean King Cup (Women's Davis Cup) here in my hometown of Delray Beach, FL in April with Coco Gauff who was born and raised in Delray Beach. Also the Williams sisters may be playing as well as they grew up in Delray Beach.

Link for Tennis Tourney
Would love to see Jess and Coco become the number one ranked doubles team. I love watching the current #1 team of Krecikova and Siniakova, but would hope to see Jess and Coco battle them in a final sometime. Maybe US Open!?

Reactions: Bwifan

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Would love to see Jess and Coco become the number one ranked doubles team. I love watching the current #1 team of Krecikova and Siniakova, but would hope to see Jess and Coco battle them in a final sometime. Maybe US Open!?
I would love to see that doubles pairing. I have always felt that doubles makes you a much better singles player. Gives you much stronger game when you are at the net.

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Jess just lost to Iga in the finals of the Qatar Open. Wasn't close, 6-3 6-0, but it could be that she was exhausted from having won the doubles final with Coco the day before. She also played her semi-final the day before.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login