Federal Game Warden?

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
What was the name of the FGW that was a State grad and wrote a book about his experiences?
Thanks!
The one that used to swim out to duck hunters and check them and write them up if anything was wrong, then crawl in boat and ask for ride back to his truck?

Reactions: MSUGUY

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
The one that used to swim out to duck hunters and check them and write them up if anything was wrong, then crawl in boat and ask for ride back to his truck?
“How about you get back the way you got here”. should’ve been any self respecting duck hunter’s reply.

Reactions: WilCoDawg
Aug 29, 2004
My dad and I hunting a flooded field off the Tallahatchie. Point system days. As we're picking up the decoys, he comes wading out of a treeline. Jeans and his game warden shirt. No waders. We had to do some math to get the order of ducks right but we were good on limits. He then did in fact ask us to take him back to his truck.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In a lifetime of hunting and fishing I have to say that I have never actually had a bad encounter with a warden, State or Federal. Been checked very few times over the years but they were always polite and reasonable. We have always tried to follow the rules so we never really gave them a reason to harass us.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
In my 60+ years I have encountered 1 Fed Warden and 0 State ones, it was out in The Refuge when I was in college. He saw me coming out of the woods walking to my truck and just stopped and asked some questions about what I was hunting, what I'd seen, had I seen anyone else nearby. He thanked me for my time and started driving away. I asked him "aren't you even going to ask me about my license/permit?" He laughed and said "if you didn't have them I don't figure you would ask me to look at them would you?" I'm sure as he drove away he was thinking "dumb arse college kid"........

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
In my 60+ years I have encountered 1 Fed Warden and 0 State ones, it was out in The Refuge when I was in college. He saw me coming out of the woods walking to my truck and just stopped and asked some questions about what I was hunting, what I'd seen, had I seen anyone else nearby. He thanked me for my time and started driving away. I asked him "aren't you even going to ask me about my license/permit?" He laughed and said "if you didn't have them I don't figure you would ask me to look at them would you?" I'm sure as he drove away he was thinking "dumb arse college kid"........
I turkey hunted the Refuge constantly when I was in College. Spring of 73 through the Spring of 76. Never got checked in the field. On the rare times when I had a turkey to report I did have to show my license and Refuge permit but they were always nice and seemed happy to see you have some success. I don’t know how it is now, but back then if you could kill turkey’s on the Refuge you could kill them anywhere. Those had to be the most educated birds on the planet.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I turkey hunted the Refuge constantly when I was in College. Spring of 73 through the Spring of 76. Never got checked in the field. On the rare times when I had a turkey to report I did have to show my license and Refuge permit but they were always nice and seemed happy to see you have some success. I don’t know how it is now, but back then if you could kill turkey’s on the Refuge you could kill them anywhere. Those had to be the most educated birds on the planet.
They have their own classes. "How To Not Get Killed!" The syllabus contained the best spots to hide.

Reactions: HRMSU

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
They have their own classes. "How To Not Get Killed!" The syllabus contained the best spots to hide.
Those classes were taught by College Students that would start calling to them 3 weeks before the season started with their Lynch box call and then screw with them every day for almost 2 months. Anything more than some soft clucks would make them shut up and go the other way. It was fun but not exactly an easy way to to a turkey in the freezer. Still, we had a lot of fun on the Refuge hunting and fishing.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I always heard there was a game warden out of Vicksburg that was a giant douche. But I think he was state

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Same number of years and have never encountered a gam warden while hunting (and I hunt all deer season). I travel 55 between Madison and Grenada weekly during the fall and winter, never even see a GW truck.

I don't have a license either, but the land i hunt is owned by me through an LLC, not sure of the legalities of that (i'm assuming I technically need a license). My thought is that wild animals are the domain of God and I already have a license through him.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I remember John. He used to give the guys in our camp in Jasper county fits. The other one was Sammy Windham. He walked 2 miles to give my Grandfather a ticket for hunting over corn that had been gone for weeks and then asked him to give a him ride out of the woods.
Ole John put a gun in my face one time. Thought we were spot lighting. Bout **** myself. Think he was like interim sheriff in Jasper Co. one time but might be wrong. Good guy though. Just a hard ***.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
i lived out at some cabins north of starkville on two lakes back in late 90s.....dudes around there were shooting 20-30 wood ducks on the roost each evening in Sept/Oct.....sounded like WW3.....i lived by the smaller lake....one day I walked down to the damn with a beer in my hand, small cooler, and a fishing pole....two guys were down there in full camo busting wood ducks....I walked back up to cabin to check spaghetti...next thing i know federal GW and some sheriff deputies were there to crack skulls....i got pulled into it bc they were video taping the whole thing.......not sure who he was but was a MF to deal with...

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think that might have been Mr. Laney. He was tough but a hell of a good warden. Had a boat ramp and bait shop on Chotard .
Perhaps , I don't remember his name. I used to live by him. I was told he would walk in on people all the time or take meat out of peoples freezer if he heard water cooler talk about a spike or something. I was just always told he was an arsehole and to watch out for him.

Barksaholic

May 2, 2006
What was the name of the FGW that was a State grad and wrote a book about his experiences?
Thanks!
I once had a book “Halt! I’m a Federal Game Warden” by Willie J Parker…..good book. No clue if he was an MSU grad or if this is the one you are talking about.

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
i lived out at some cabins north of starkville on two lakes back in late 90s.....dudes around there were shooting 20-30 wood ducks on the roost each evening in Sept/Oct.....sounded like WW3.....i lived by the smaller lake....one day I walked down to the damn with a beer in my hand, small cooler, and a fishing pole....two guys were down there in full camo busting wood ducks....I walked back up to cabin to check spaghetti...next thing i know federal GW and some sheriff deputies were there to crack skulls....i got pulled into it bc they were video taping the whole thing.......not sure who he was but was a MF to deal with...
I lived at Two Lakes for two years. On the north side in a four plex and an the south side in some town houses.

I don't think most people know that's out there

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Same number of years and have never encountered a gam warden while hunting (and I hunt all deer season). I travel 55 between Madison and Grenada weekly during the fall and winter, never even see a GW truck.

I don't have a license either, but the land i hunt is owned by me through an LLC, not sure of the legalities of that (i'm assuming I technically need a license). My thought is that wild animals are the domain of God and I already have a license through him.
I'm not a hunter but I do a little fishing, and while I'm generally a big-government liberal, something about having to have a license to fish just don't sit right with me.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Have you heard the Christmas morning duck hunting story about him?

It used to be illegal to hunt on Christmas. Some outlaws were hunting one such day and Pilgreen had em pegged. He paddled up in a canoe with a Santa Claus hat on, singing “Here Comes Santa Claus.” Word was he hated duck hunters til his dying day.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not a hunter but I do a little fishing, and while I'm generally a big-government liberal, something about having to have a license to fish just don't sit right with me.
One is hard-pressed to find many southern males who acknowledge being a big government liberal. What is your background? Where did you grow up, where do you live, etc.?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Well, if you ever do encounter one on your land, and he wants to give you a ticket for no license, you can always have him fined for the same amount of the ticket for trespassing on your land.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login