Fellow Nerds: Have any of you taken to theatres to watch the LOTR extended editions?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Couple weeks ago, my buddy took his 9 year old daughter on consecutive nights to see all 3. He said the experience was awesome and she loved the films as well. She turned all her Barbies into different tribes of elves.

I'm tempted to go for the experience again on the big screen but those ext cuts are so damn long. Was wondering if any of y'all had done so and if it was worth it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They're playing here at the 4DX theater, but the only seats available were the front row and that's where they shoot the smoke out. No thanks.

Plus a 4 hour rollercoaster seems a bit much.

ETA: If you have a 4DX theater near you, I recommend it. It's better than DBox and more fully immersive. I watched Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes with my son, Furiosa with my wife, and Inside Out 2 with my daughter and each experience was unique and awesome.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I would love to sit in the theater once, but I don't know who would go with me because my wife is not a fan of LOTR.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Couple weeks ago, my buddy took his 9 year old daughter on consecutive nights to see all 3. He said the experience was awesome and she loved the films as well. She turned all her Barbies into different tribes of elves.

I'm tempted to go for the experience again on the big screen but those ext cuts are so damn long. Was wondering if any of y'all had done so and if it was worth it.
I cannot imagine going to any theater in Richmond County for a 3+ hour movie. Hell, I cannot imagine going to the one in this county either.

I am entertained by this Barbie conversion. 🤣

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
This is something I'd love to do, but it hit right while we're in a big move and trying to get settled in the new house. Just not possible.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This is something I'd love to do, but it hit right while we're in a big move and trying to get settled in the new house. Just not possible.

The wife and kid can hang pictures. Treat yourself. What? She's pregnant? Ok tell her after she fills the attic to make you a sandwich for the long movie.

Last edited:

NashLA

May 5, 2009
They're playing here at the 4DX theater, but the only seats available were the front row and that's where they shoot the smoke out. No thanks.

ETA: If you have a 4DX theater near you, I recommend it. It's better than DBox and more fully immersive. I watched Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes with my son, Furiosa with my wife, and Inside Out 2 with my daughter and each experience was unique and awesome.
My 4DX experience was the opposite: seats banging left-right, pitching and rolling, water spewing, smoke belching, lights stobing, and none of it timed to correspond to anything going on on screen. Why should the seats pitch violently everytime an actor puts an exclamation point on the end of one of their sentences? Why should the lights strobe and water spew out of the seat in front of you when someone sits down at the kitchen table? It was so awful we left a quarter of the way through the movie.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
This is the first I've heard of a 4DX cinema.

Also, never mind about thinking of going, it looks like it was only shown those two weekends. I'll catch it for the 40th Anniversary I suppose.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My 4DX experience was the opposite: seats banging left-right, pitching and rolling, water spewing, smoke belching, lights stobing, and none of it timed to correspond to anything going on on screen. Why should the seats pitch violently everytime an actor puts an exclamation point on the end of one of their sentences? Why should the lights strobe and water spew out of the seat in front of you when someone sits down at the kitchen table? It was so awful we left a quarter of the way through the movie.
What movie did you see (or start to see)?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I don’t know if I could handle sitting there that long. I watched the extended cuts with my daughters last summer on HBOMax and it took us a week to finish all three.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I haven't, but I would. I don't really binge-watch much, but I can watch all 3 extended editions in a row. Done it a few times.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know if I could handle sitting there that long. I watched the extended cuts with my daughters last summer on HBOMax and it took us a week to finish all three.
I can barely get my kids to sit still through a whole Brady Bunch these days. There is no attention span left.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I cannot imagine going to any theater in Richmond County for a 3+ hour movie. Hell, I cannot imagine going to the one in this county either.

I am entertained by this Barbie conversion. 🤣

Newest is usually always the best. Riverwatch is the best right now. It also depends on what film you want to see.

You missed out on The Regency Mall cinema off Gordon Highway. THAT was an experience.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Newest is usually always the best. Riverwatch is the best right now. It also depends on what film you want to see.

You missed out on The Regency Mall cinema off Gordon Highway. THAT was an experience.
Been to riverwatch once. Didn't like it. Well, liked it, just didn't appreciate the constant conversations during the movie.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I've got them on DVD. I'm not a fan of the movies, they diverge too far from the books, with NO reason to do so.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

At first thought your son was named Furiosa

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I've got them on DVD. I'm not a fan of the movies, they diverge too far from the books, with NO reason to do so.

Relax Tom Bombadil.

45 minutes of Dwarf or Elf lineage trees don't lend themselves well to motion picture adaptations.

Are you also butt hurt that no actor could speak the 15 languages & dialects Tolkien created?

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Relax Tom Bombadil.

45 minutes of Dwarf or Elf lineage trees don't lend themselves well to motion picture adaptations.

Are you also butt hurt that no actor could speak the 15 languages & dialects Tolkien created?
Bombadil and the Barrow Downs are only one of my gripes. Arwen as a warrior is the biggest.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Bombadil and the Barrow Downs are only one of my gripes. Arwen as a warrior is the biggest.

Would you rather a **** adaptation be made or none at all? I don't understand your sanctimonious "I read the books" line in the sand here.

Many fans, & I'd argue, most fans, of the films have also read them.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If any of y’all ever visit Houston, there is a Hobbit Cafe there with lots of Tolkien decor and all of the menu items have a Tolkien theme. Some of the waitstaff was dressed like elves when I went. The burger I had was one of the best restaurant burgers I’ve ever had.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
If any of y’all ever visit Houston, there is a Hobbit Cafe there with lots of Tolkien decor and all of the menu items have a Tolkien theme. Some of the waitstaff was dressed like elves when I went. The burger I had was one of the best restaurant burgers I’ve ever had.

I saw no hairy feet & the lembas bread was unleavened.

• Haha

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They diverge from the books because they have a small amount of time to tell a story in a movie so they have to take some liberties to get that done.

Theres maybe a handful of movies ever made that are adapted from books that actually follow the book.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They diverge from the books because they have a small amount of time to tell a story in a movie so they have to take some liberties to get that done.

Theres maybe a handful of movies ever made that are adapted from books that actually follow the book.
True that. The only movie I ever liked better than the book was "The Natural." In the book, Hobbs took the money and threw the game.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The only thing that bothers me in LoTR movies is concept of distance. They make it seem like everything is just down the road when it hundreds of miles away.
One of MANY things that bother me in the movies. Speaking of THAT>>>>>> STAR WARS>>>>>>>>>LOL!!!!!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I DO get it, ALL of Tolkien, not just the LOTR, is virtually impossible to adapt to a movie.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The only thing that bothers me in LoTR movies is concept of distance. They make it seem like everything is just down the road when it hundreds of miles away.
Game of Thrones was so good about that .... until they were suddenly really bad it when John and the rest were North of the wall and were able to get a raven 1,000 miles away to Dragonstone, and then Dany came all the way back up there on dragonback in time to rescue them.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
One of MANY things that bother me in the movies. Speaking of THAT>>>>>> STAR WARS>>>>>>>>>LOL!!!!!
Star Wars has Hyper Space as a distance cheat code but yeah it’s still ridiculous sometimes but you have to speed things up for the sake of the movie.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login