FIFA World Cup additional stoppage time plan actually worked?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
What exactly was the plan?
They were very meticulous about counting every second of wasted time during a match, which led to games with 8-12 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game instead of the usual 3-5 minutes you normally see.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They were very meticulous about counting every second of wasted time during a match, which led to games with 8-12 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game instead of the usual 3-5 minutes you normally see.
Or so they say. It seemed pretty random (which is no different than it always has). The whole stoppage time concept is bulls***. Just stop the clock when there's an injury, a goal, or someone is wasting time (and give a lot more yellow cards for time wasting). Then when it hits 45:00 or 90:00, the half is over.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Or so they say. It seemed pretty random (which is no different than it always has). The whole stoppage time concept is bulls***. Just stop the clock when there's an injury, a goal, or someone is wasting time (and give a lot more yellow cards for time wasting). Then when it hits 45:00 or 90:00, the half is over.
I'd like to see a plot of in play time before stoppage time versus stoppage time added for every half of the world cup.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

The arbitrary time keeping is such an odd concept to me. I just can't wrap my head around not knowing precisely the urgency with which I'd need to play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The arbitrary time keeping is such an odd concept to me. I just can't wrap my head around not knowing precisely the urgency with which I'd need to play.
I can understand why it was that way 100 years ago. But there's no excuse for it now (and hasn't been for at least the last 60 years). And it really is arbitrary. I've almost never seen stoppage time expire when a team has possession in the attacking 1/3 of the field.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Added additional extra time at the end of each half for time wasting as well as injuries— much more than what had been usually done.

But the tweet says “excluding extra time” so how did adding extra time add to the amount of game play in full time? I probably just don’t understand the plan

patdog

May 28, 2007
But the tweet says “excluding extra time” so how did adding extra time add to the amount of game play in full time? I probably just don’t understand the plan
"Extra time" is referring to the two 15-minute periods played if a knockout stage game is tied after 90 minutes. It's confusing, but the time added to the end of each half is called "stoppage time" or "added time" and what we would call "overtime" is called "extra time."

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
"Extra time" is referring to the two 15-minute periods played if a knockout stage game is tied after 90 minutes. It's confusing, but the time added to the end of each half is called "stoppage time" or "added time" and what we would call "overtime" is called "extra time."

Oh yeah. Thats right. Thanks. I love
Soccer but the timekeeping aspect is a real weakness.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Right. My apologies for the confusion in the OP subject heading. I’ve edited it to be more accurate.

One of the times when being succinct isn’t the same as being accurate.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login