Final Four - is this going to become a trend or because of COVID?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
None of the blue bloods made it. Is it because of COVID where players have extra years or is it just that the tide is changing in college basketball?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
A lot already discussed here: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/to-the-“there’s-no-parity-in-college-basketball”-crowd.920818/

I would anticipate there will be more of it, but not as chaotic as this year. NIL and portal will play a part as that effects basketball more, but we also have COVID seniors out there right now. And remember, last year was an all blue-blood Final Four. People also said one-and-done would change things, but it never really did, it always reverted back to the blue bloods in general. It'll be blue bloods, with slightly more parity, same as football (although it will take football a little longer).

And even with all this, blue blood UConn is still going to win the title.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This year is just a blip. The blue bloods still have the most money to throw at NIL. They’ll buy the best players and things will be back to normal pretty soon.

However… one and done might take on a new meaning. If Kentucky hands you $500K for a year on their roster and you don’t produce…
You’re done.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just a fluke thing. Not necessarily because of Covid, but just a fluke either way. Many of the blue bloods are in a time of transition with long-time coaches retiring or getting sick, and of course there's Kentucky with the long, disappointing Calipari contract. But they'll all get it back together again soon enough.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Could be. 4 blue bloods made it in 2022 so I guess we'll find out next year if it is a trend or not.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't know the answer to that question but I hope it continues. This is the most interested I've been in a Final Four in years. It's great to have non-traditional teams there.
I'm totally the opposite.

You couldn't put 4 teams on the court that I care less about. Advertisers have to be pissed.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
None of the blue bloods made it. Is it because of COVID where players have extra years or is it just that the tide is changing in college basketball?
Probably more a of random deal than anything. These teams are seeded what they are seeded for a reason. They just happened to make runs.

Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I just don't think NIL's impact on college basketball is going to be as predictable as it is in football. Some of the smaller schools who don't spend tons on their football program have more money than you think. If they have a good coach and focu$ their attention on basketball they can compete quite well.......they've been doing it forever.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You don’t think people will still watch in hopes of seeing an underdog take the title? I know I will now. If it was two blue bloods, I wouldn’t care then.
Hell no. Everyone says that, but the data proves differently.

Blue bloods carry the NCAA tourney from a viewership standpoint.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don’t think people will still watch in hopes of seeing an underdog take the title? I know I will now. If it was two blue bloods, I wouldn’t care then.
An underdog has to have a big name with them. I won't watch FAU vs. SDSU unless I'm on the couch sleeping.

I will, however, watch UConn vs. Miami, and if UConn wins, the championship game.

I will admit, however, there is a little bit of flavor with Miami vs. FAU for the title, cross town rivalry. And it's just weird, outside of the Lebron Heat run, has Miami ever been known for basketball? Even with all that, I likely still won't watch.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
It sound like NIL has had a big impact for both Miami Men's and Women's hoops. I think we will see some COVID effects until 2025 afterwhich nearly all COVID affected students will have moved through the system. I think we are also seeing the effects of limited recruiting visits during COVID. We had players signing with schools they had not visited as well as schools offering players they had never met in person. We have had a lot of poor fits that will have to resolve themselves.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Does UConn not count as a blue blood? Multiple NC’s under multiple coaches.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I think it's new trend because of NIL and the portal. Think about this: TCU made the national championship game in football. Cincinnati made the playoffs. Saban and Smart keep saying this needs to be regulated because otherwise the power will concentrate into just a few schools. News flash - in the first 7 playoffs there was a possiblity of 4 to 28 unique teams that were possible. The number of unique teams that appeared? Six. it was already condensed into just a few teams. We have seen the talent spread out more. Saban and Smart aren't going to complain about something that will benefit them. They are complaining because their advantage is being chipped away.

I, like many other people, thought that NIL and the portal would make everyone want to go to the bigger schools. We might have the next Dak Prescott, who might decide he wants to win a natty and transfer to Bama. But we are seeing the opposite. Overall, MSU has been a net beneficiary of the portal.

The same thing is probably happening in basketball too.

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
I don't know the answer, but I watched the K-State games hoping they would lose. That point guard was outstanding but I couldn't wait for them to lose. And I REALLY enjoyed watching Alabama lose to SDSU. I'll watch their games just because they beat them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I, like many other people, thought that NIL and the portal would make everyone want to go to the bigger schools. We might have the next Dak Prescott, who might decide he wants to win a natty and transfer to Bama. But we are seeing the opposite. Overall, MSU has been a net beneficiary of the portal.

The same thing is probably happening in basketball too.
I've been saying that since it passed.

NIL? Not so much. But nothing's changed there, we were never really huge players in the pay-for-play game.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Show me the budget Miami put in the court this year. And Bama as well. There's your answer

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Basketball has more parity than football.
12 scholarship players vs 80 plus equals more talent to go around.

NIL is helping some too. If you can play 1 year in basketball, all it takes is money over a school/coach.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Yes, and No

Sure, the covid year was able to umbrella the SUCK that is the Gleaguebnba however,

This has more to do with the free transfer rule. …and honestly, I’m in favor with …although it’s not at all connected to NIL data or “Buy In’s”

The top 30/40 NCAA football teams have been competing under the table for years, not much Will change, unfortunately, until we move it to match D2 forma……

I predict the top 20 richest football programs will unfortunately and diabolically…shout out to “Lucifer”…settle in quickly ….as over the next 15 years, we see the same 12 teams compete, year in year out, ….it will shake down to numbers……as true as the dollar….sheer volume and mass $$$ Will ultimately float a horizon line that will only allow about 10 or so programs to realistically compete…

As for basketball? The same…..however….

All ya need is 9…..

Give me 9 people. Hell, I’ll take two students from the Sanderson, 3 from Starkville High , 3 students from west Point and one crackhead pushing a desk chair down West Jackson St at midnight…shout out to my boy “Cee U Rebown”

It’s easier to find 9 than 89…

No true answer to your question other than mor questions

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
This is what makes the basketball and baseball tournaments so interesting. There is real competition and outcomes aren't automatic. If college football would expand the playoffs AND lower the scholarships numbers you could get something more like this in football. Basketball and baseball talent is much more spread around because in basketball you just have enough scholarships to field a full team and in baseball you really don't even have enough scholarships to field a full team. In football you have enough to field a full team plus about 20 extra scholarships to fatten up with.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login