Finally

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Had my first blt with Cherokee Purple tomatoes of the year today. In fact, I had two.
I’ve been growing Cherokee Purples for 11 years. They are an indeterminant heirloom (very old) variety of tomato. My grandmother grew them for years-she loved the acidity of the variety, and I do, too. Purples can grow very large, but you mostly end up with a medium-sized fruit. Some of them are also quite “ugly” in appearance. I grow them (and eat them) for their flavor and acidity. I grow the “Big Beef” variety of the big tomatoes-one slice will easily cover a piece of bread if you are making sandwiches. This time of year, my favorite supper is a couple of slices of Bunny Giant bread (toasted or not), some Hellmann’s or Duke’s mayonnaise and some sliced tomatoes-lettuce and/or bacon are great, but not necessarily required. The Purples are my favorite, but any homegrown variety will fit the bill. Note: my Mama bought Blue Plate mayonnaise at our house when I was growing up-it’s all I knew. Only after I met my wife that I found out that there were other (and better) brands of mayonnaise out there. I remember the first time Mama tasted Hellmanns-she immediately threw the Blue Plate away and never bought another jar of it lol…

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Had my first blt with Cherokee Purple tomatoes of the year today. In fact, I had two.
WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DISTRACT US BY TALKING ABOUT BLT'S?!?11??***

Cherokee purple is my favorite tomato. Gonna have several of them this weekend, in fact.

Also, re mayo: I'm not even sure we had Duke's in South Mississippi in the 80s/90s. I recall lots of Blue Plate, then Hellman's, then Kraft. I think Duke's has done a jam-up marketing job the last 10 years or so, cause it's damn sure grown in popularity. Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly fine and even buy it if it's on sale. Blue Plate's still my go-to.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login