Financial Advisor recommendation

DreadNought.sixpack

Feb 15, 2013
Does anyone know a good financial advisor in the Jackson area that charges a flat fee rather than a percentage of funds deposited? While my finances are a little complicated my investment strategy is pretty boring and conservative. I don’t need someone to Buy and sell stocks, bonds, and funds as much as general advice on pending retirement and long term planning.

On the off chance that using a % of funds fee based advisor would make more sense, please explain why that is better than a flat fee advisor?

thanks

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Because a flat-fee advisor has much less incentive to earn you money.

I think most advisors will charge you an hourly fee for consultation. You could just do that and use Fidelity or Vanguard for your investments.

Tracer Bullet

Jul 30, 2018
Josh Oller of Summit Wealth. I’ve been pleased with his advice.

Whoever you go with make sure they are a Certified Financial Planner, or a Fiduciary of some kind. This means they have to act in your best interest, not what is the best for them.

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
Adam Collins - Eversight Wealth

Flat fee.

Metro Jackson area.

Brilliant guy.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
Do it yourself. Go to Vanguard.com and read up on investing.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Index Funds..

1. Fidelity S&P 500 Index
2. Fidelity US Bond Index
3. Allocate based on your age.
4. Check your statements / account a few times a year.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Wonderful advice

1. Fidelity S&P 500 Index
2. Fidelity US Bond Index
3. Allocate based on your age.
4. Check your statements / account a few times a year.

This is perhaps the worst advice I’ve seen on this site regarding investing and there has been a ton of dumb advice.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Because a flat-fee advisor has much less incentive to earn you money.

I think most advisors will charge you an hourly fee for consultation. You could just do that and use Fidelity or Vanguard for your investments.

I mean, I guess an advisor that is bilking you for a **** ton of money is incentivized to keep you as a customer. But that’s an expensive incentive.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's actually better than average advice. Very few money managers consistently beat the market consistently, especially taking fees into account which you have to do.

irondog

Jan 20, 2020
Do it your self

Does anyone know a good financial advisor in the Jackson area that charges a flat fee rather than a percentage of funds deposited? While my finances are a little complicated my investment strategy is pretty boring and conservative. I don’t need someone to Buy and sell stocks, bonds, and funds as much as general advice on pending retirement and long term planning.

On the off chance that using a % of funds fee based advisor would make more sense, please explain why that is better than a flat fee advisor?

thanks

Hope this helps.
I split my investment and tried an advisor at Fidelity for four years. He called once a year for a review and gave me links to do my own retirement research. He never made any of the adjustments I requested. He just kept advising me to stick to his plan, the standard fidelity plan. On one statement I saw that the same fund was bought and sold in the same reporting period for a loss, so I decided to get out. At the annual review, I told him I was dropping his service. He got upset and rude. He kept asking me what was I going to do. When I told him I was going to handle my investments my self, he said "do you think you can do better" I said, I already do. Half my investment are in the Winsor II. The return has been double what Fidelity has provided. I said check it! He said a rude goodbye and hung up. Hope you have better luck!

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Marketing 101

It's actually better than average advice. Very few money managers consistently beat the market consistently, especially taking fees into account which you have to do.

It’s horrible advice to throw a blanket statement. Perfect example. During the 2000-2009 market better know as the lost decade. Had you invested in a cap weighted S&P 500 fund, which most investors here recommend, your total rate of return would have been less than 1% vs the equal weighted S&P 500, your return would have been over 6%, but thank god you had the lower fees. Fast forward to this year, the US aggregate bond index is down 11%. It’s the worst bond market since 1842. A good seasoned advisor would have started lowering duration last year knowing the fed was going to have to be aggressive and you become defensive. A good advisor knows that higher rates means higher borrowing cost for growth companies and reallocated to dividend paying stocks. But luckily you paid lower fees. The point is NO one should be listening to anyone on this board of how they should invest their retirement assets. Either get advice or educate yourself on your own personal situation and pick solid investments. Marketing has done a phenomenal job of making retail investors think low cost funds are superior. It’s just not true. Hell Fidelity did a research a few years ago showing individuals who worked with an advisor outperformed self directed investors by over 2% per year including fees. A good advisors earns their money in down markets by not allowing their clients to make drastic emotional decisions.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s horrible advice to throw a blanket statement. Perfect example. During the 2000-2009 market better know as the lost decade. Had you invested in a cap weighted S&P 500 fund, which most investors here recommend, your total rate of return would have been less than 1% vs the equal weighted S&P 500, your return would have been over 6%, but thank god you had the lower fees. Fast forward to this year, the US aggregate bond index is down 11%. It’s the worst bond market since 1842. A good seasoned advisor would have started lowering duration last year knowing the fed was going to have to be aggressive and you become defensive. A good advisor knows that higher rates means higher borrowing cost for growth companies and reallocated to dividend paying stocks. But luckily you paid lower fees.
For every hypothetical you can come up with that did better, there are unlimited hypotheticals that would have done worse. And on average, most advisors are not going to increase your returns by 1% by trying to time the market or pick investments or sectors or whatever. Certainly some will do better, but if you can identify which advisor is going to be able to beat the market by more than 1%, you probably know enough to manage your own investments. You would just be paying to not do it, which is fine, but that's vanishingly few people.

The point is NO one should be listening to anyone on this board of how they should invest their retirement assets. Either get advice or educate yourself on your own personal situation and pick solid investments. Marketing has done a phenomenal job of making retail investors think low cost funds are superior. It’s just not true. Hell Fidelity did a research a few years ago showing individuals who worked with an advisor outperformed self directed investors by over 2% per year including fees. A good advisors earns their money in down markets by not allowing their clients to make drastic emotional decisions.
That's very valuable, but you still don't need to pay somebody $20k to $40k a year to do it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Definitely find a financial planner that will first set up fail safes for you and your family. A good will and insurance policies can go a long way to make sure everyone is taken care of and your wishes are met when you're 6 foot under. Then I would worry about investments.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It’s horrible advice to throw a blanket statement. Perfect example. During the 2000-2009 market better know as the lost decade. Had you invested in a cap weighted S&P 500 fund, which most investors here recommend, your total rate of return would have been less than 1% vs the equal weighted S&P 500, your return would have been over 6%, but thank god you had the lower fees. Fast forward to this year, the US aggregate bond index is down 11%. It’s the worst bond market since 1842. A good seasoned advisor would have started lowering duration last year knowing the fed was going to have to be aggressive and you become defensive. A good advisor knows that higher rates means higher borrowing cost for growth companies and reallocated to dividend paying stocks. But luckily you paid lower fees. The point is NO one should be listening to anyone on this board of how they should invest their retirement assets. Either get advice or educate yourself on your own personal situation and pick solid investments. Marketing has done a phenomenal job of making retail investors think low cost funds are superior. It’s just not true. Hell Fidelity did a research a few years ago showing individuals who worked with an advisor outperformed self directed investors by over 2% per year including fees. A good advisors earns their money in down markets by not allowing their clients to make drastic emotional decisions.

Hey do you happen to know any financial advisors by chance?!

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014

thanks

Call Jerry Toney with Cadence Bank - you will thank me later.
662-324-4724

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Other than tax strategies, vanguard will get you exactly where you need to be and you could handle this yourself. I for one am not responsible enough to do this, so my Financial Advisor, Lauren Black in Starkville keeps me in order.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t disagree with you if you are disciplined enough in your decision, but most aren’t. They ultimately sell at the low and buy back in after the market has rebounded up 20%. My argument in all of this, is simply buying an index because it’s cheap is not an investment strategy. I believe in solid planning and creating an allocation that’s shoots for an expected rate of return to meet your goals.

DreadNought.sixpack

Feb 15, 2013
Definitely find a financial planner that will first set up fail safes for you and your family. A good will and insurance policies can go a long way to make sure everyone is taken care of and your wishes are met when you're 6 foot under. Then I would worry about investments.

I think you understood what I was asking for. I don’t really want a stock advisor picking individual sticks at this point, just someone to advise on retirement planning, social security, Medicare, wills, 401k funding, brokerage account questions, etc. I’m ok with where my money is, just getting to the next phase of life in retirement and need to get the wife and I exit strategies set up.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
It’s all emotional. I started investing for myself 8 years ago and have crushed my advisor managed account every year, including this down year so far. The bigger problem is that I’ve lost interest and don’t have time to actively manage.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Jerry is awesome, but he isn't as hands on anymore as he once was. I wasn't real impressed with their investment strategies and have since moved on. With that being said, you won't find a better Bulldawg.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Sounds like you want to be self directed. You can do that for free (other than fund fees) at any company like Schwab, Fidelity, etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login