First official NCAA Net is out. We are 40.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
40 is not a bad spot considering yesterday's debacle. So come back in off the ledge and recognize the season is still young. We have plenty of opportunity to establish a good resume. Yes, the Southern loss will linger with us all year. There's no denying that. But it's not a season ender. Got to pick ourselves up, work out the rotation, and get back to work.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We could start by showing up to games. But...our fanbase will use those losses to justify staying home and DeEr HuNtIn

(of course, there's plenty of time to do both)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
40 is not a bad spot considering yesterday's debacle. So come back in off the ledge and recognize the season is still young. We have plenty of opportunity to establish a good resume. Yes, the Southern loss will linger with us all year. There's no denying that. But it's not a season ender. Got to pick ourselves up, work out the rotation, and get back to work.
I wonder what we would have been without the Southern loss. That had to be a lot of spots with how few games we've played.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
For now we may be lucky that this loss happened right after the GT and Northwestern big wins. We were set up for a nice boost this week, but we laid a big ol #6 on that plan.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Annual reminder that no one knows how 50% of NET is calculated and that seems bad. But I will take 40 right now.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The bigger concern is that a team capable of losing to a 1-6 SWAC team is capable of losing to a hell of a lot of other teams, too.

Maybe we recover and play well going forward. But I don’t think you’ll find a case in history where a team had a loss like this, yet still rebounded to be like a 5-seed or something. Lingering all year is the correct term. Looking at a difference of 3 or 4 seeds from where we’d be otherwise, even a best case scenario.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
My big worry is if we are once again on the bubble. This past week will be the thing that sends us home instead of in the tourney. Then again if we play like yesterday in many more games, I don't think the NIT is going to be an option.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I wonder what we would have been without the Southern loss. That had to be a lot of spots with how few games we've played.
Torvik has us at 47 in the NET, so a good bit lower than the actual. He calculates the Southern loss as a 10 spot drop.

FWIW he has an undefeated MSU team at 35.
If we had only lost to Tech, 37.
If we had only lost to Southern, 43.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The bigger concern is that a team capable of losing to a 1-6 SWAC team is capable of losing to a hell of a lot of other teams, too.

Maybe we recover and play well going forward. But I don’t think you’ll find a case in history where a team had a loss like this, yet still rebounded to be like a 5-seed or something. Lingering all year is the correct term. Looking at a difference of 3 or 4 seeds from where we’d be otherwise, even a best case scenario.
It's pretty rare. Just doing a quick run 4-7 seeds of the last couple of years, I found a couple, but you can make the case that none of those losses are as bad as the loss to Southern:

2022-2023 - Texas A&M ended up with a 7 seed after a few curious losses:
Murray State (17-15, 11-9 MVC)
Wofford Terriers (17-15, 8-10 SoCon)
Colorado (18-17, 8-12 Pac)

2020-2021 - Virginia ended up with a 4 seed after a loss to San Francisco (11-14, 4-9 WCC)

2020-2021 - Florida State ended up with a 4 seed after a loss to UCF (11-12, 8-10 American)

On the bright side, this can still be a tournament team, but there's an uphill climb and a need to show a pulse in conference play if they want to be on the top side of the bracket.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
So the Southern loss is more like the clap than herpes?
Wrong. The record books will forever show that we lost to a superiorly infreior 2-6 directional school. The disease stays forever and you manage the symptoms.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login