First time I've listened to Jim ellis in years

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
To defend Jim a little, we 100% hit 4-5 balls tonight that would have been gone in most other parks.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Swayze is a little league field. Tonight was great evidence.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I don't fault him for that. I mean he isn't a psychic. He does have to see the ball leave the park like any other person.

However I'll agree. He isn't as sharp on the PxP as he once was.

Last edited:

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Y’all don’t talk bad about Jim. He is a legend, in the same vein as Jack. He’s been doing games before a lot of you have been potty-trained.

Aug 24, 2012
I would have bet all the money I have that Cumbest’s ball was a home run in the 7th.
I couldn’t believe the ball flight just stopped at the wall. If you saw it live, you know what I’m talking about.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Same except for Center field. The wind was blowing in last night and it was 63 degrees. The air density coupled with the wind direction didn't favor HR balls last night.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I would have bet all the money I have that Cumbest’s ball was a home run in the 7th.
I couldn’t believe the ball flight just stopped at the wall. If you saw it live, you know what I’m talking about.

My son and I were watching at home - gave him a high 5 when Cumbest smashed that one... then could not believe when it didn't go out. Looked like an absolute blast on TV. There were a few more like that. Either that fields a little larger than we're used to seeing, or ball was not traveling well last night.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
There was times last night he called a pitch a strike after the Umpire called it a ball. He does that kind of stuff a lot. I listen to him a bunch. I enjoy listening to him regardless. He is getting up in age and it shows but he should not in no way be forced out.

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
Balls just don't carry at Trustmark Park when it's cool. Much more hitter friendly during the warmer nights.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
To be fair, there were 3 balls hit deep that I thought were gone as well from watching the TV broadcast. I didn't realize they were long outs until the Ole Miss outfielders ran off and high fived each other.

And you bite your damn tongue talking about Jim Ellis. He's an absolute professional and has been doing this for longer than anyone. I would much rather mute the TV broadcast and hear them two any day. Although Bart does a great job. Something about going into Ron Polk's thought process is extremely interesting to me.

was21

May 29, 2007
I've learned more about baseball listening to Jim Ellis than from any other source.

Rezpup

May 4, 2009
He’s twice the talent of most national or regional announcers at any level on tv or streaming/radio. Even at his age but I admit bias bc I remember listening to him on the radio in 1979 during CWS when we beat Cal St. Fullerton in the opener.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login