Florida preview

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I've tried to watch a little Florida basketball this year, but for some reason I find them dreadfully boring to watch. I'm sure the same could be said about us, but Florida has been tough for me to stay tuned in to.

Maybe I should pay more attention to them though. They are a top 20 team in tempo and top 35 in fast break point per game, so that's fun to watch, and a top 20 team in scoring at nearly 85 ppg. Add into those numbers that they are the #1 team in the country in rebounds per game. So they do a lot of things well. They also get to the line a ton, but they are 299 in the country and last in the SEC in FT %.

They aren't without flaws though. Start with the defense - 282 in scoring D, 231 in fouls committed, and 274 in turnovers forced. Tells me that maybe they aren't all that committed on that end of the floor. I'm also not terribly impressed with the schedule. They are 0-5 in Quadrant 1 and their best wins are neutral court wins over Pitt and Richmond, neither of whom is looking like even a bubble team at this point. To their credit, they have avoided any bad losses. Beating us would by far be their best win.

They will have three big bodies to throw at Tolu, but only Samuel is much of a scoring threat in that group. It's the guards who carry most of the scoring load. Clayton, Pullin, Richard and former MSU commitment Riley Kugel all average double figures and each one of them has posted multiple 20 point efforts this year. We can't just focus one or two of these guys or the others can kill you. It will take a connected team effort to handle them tonight.

Seems like our path to victory on the road starts with the transition defense and defensive rebounding. Florida hasn't shown to be a great shooting team this year (144 in FG %, 211 in 3 PT %). They get a lot of their points on the break and by getting more shots up because they rebound the hell out of the ball on the offensive end. So don't allow easy fast break opportunities and make them play in the halfcourt. And when they shoot...five guys to the glass. Offensively I'd like to see us make a concerted effort to drive and finish in the lane. Florida isn't a big shot blocking team or a big steals team, but as I said earlier they do foul a lot. Drive the ball, go up strong and either make the shot or get fouled or BOTH.

Let's think positively. We come out with a renewed intensity on the defensive end and go into the half up something like 34-29. Florida takes a lead during our second half offensive drought (TM) but we fight back and go into the last three minutes with a lead that we hold onto. Dogs 68, Gators 63.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
When Howland was trying to salvage his job, it seems like I can remember him hyping Riley Kugel as one of the best recruits of his career. We could use a 6-6 guard.

Tolu FT % going to be a major component as always. No intensity and it will be a bloodbath. I’m not going to get my hopes up about more Fort, but give me at least 12 minutes.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
When Howland was trying to salvage his job, it seems like I can remember him hyping Riley Kugel as one of the best recruits of his career. We could use a 6-6 guard.

Tolu FT % going to be a major component as always. No intensity and it will be a bloodbath. I’m not going to get my hopes up about more Fort, but give me at least 12 minutes.
Kugel is a stud. Great find by Howland and McCray who’s now at Florida

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We don't win many games in Gainesville.

Last win: 2020; Reggie Perry scored 27, including 3 for 3 from 3-point range.

That's the only win in Gainesville since Stansbury.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
We are very inconsistent on the defensive end….and teams who push the ball have beat us….uk and bama. I hate this matchup for us. We will need to have our best rebounding game of the year tonight….and sprinkle in some smart play on defense. If we get into foul trouble with Tolu and have to resort to bombing 3’s with DJ and cast, we gonna get blown out.

I agree, we need to finish in the lane and hopefully soften the bigs up so we can rebound their clunks. They miss a lot of shots

Last edited:

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
We are very inconsistent and the defensive end….and teams who push the ball have beat us….uk and bama. I hate this matchup for us. We will need to have our best rebounding game of the year tonight….and sprinkle in some smart play on defense. If we get into foul trouble with Tolu and have to resort to bombing 3’s with DJ and cast, we gonna get blown out.

I agree, we need to finish in the lane and hopefully soften the bigs up so we can rebound their clunks. They miss a lot of shots
I think 50 rebounds would do it. That would be a season high for us. Let's say 38 defensive and a dozen offensive.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Cam staying out of foul trouble will be key - he was out a lot of the first half against Bama I think, and rebounding and defense suffered accordingly.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Is Murph out of the doghouse yet? I haven't seen anything mentioned, but may have missed it.

His length would really help tonight.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login