Food for thought...

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
All of the talking heads have predicted that Kentucky has played their way into the tournament. Well, as I see it, their RPI has fallen to 60, and if Georgia could somehow pull the upset aGAIN tomorrow, I believe that would put Kentucky squarely outside the field. They may be outside anyway.

My prediction for SEC seedings in the tourney:

Tennessee - two seed
Vanderbilt - four seed
Arkansas - five seed
MSU - seven seed
Kentucky/Georgia - ten seed

Thoughts?</p>

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
All of the talking heads have predicted that Kentucky has played their way into the tournament. Well, as I see it, their RPI has fallen to 60, and if Georgia could somehow pull the upset aGAIN tomorrow, I believe that would put Kentucky squarely outside the field. They may be outside anyway.

My prediction for SEC seedings in the tourney:

Tennessee - two seed
Vanderbilt - four seed
Arkansas - five seed
MSU - seven seed
Kentucky/Georgia - ten seed

Thoughts?</p>

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
But Arkansas isn't a 5 seed. As of Friday, they were in the Last 4 in. These two wins bumped them, but not that far.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I really think we should have a higher seed than Arkansas or at least identical. They were 9-7 in the SEC.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
And they were extremely mediocre all year long, especially on the road. We will get a better or equal seed than they will.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
for us, i think we are a 6 or 7. If we would have won the tourney, we would have been a 5.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
...do you see that? Consider this:

Arkansas RPI: 25
MSU RPI: 43

I just don't see a way we will get an equal or better seed than Arkansas.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
I know coaches put much more emphasis on how you do over the long haul over how you do over a long weekend. Knight was talking about that very topic the other day. Unfortunately, there are very few basketball people on the selection committee, so this nice little run by Arkansas will probably vault them over MSU in the seedings, even though MSU finished 3 games ahead of them in the standings.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
I think Kentucky should probably hope that Arkansas wins today just to be safe. Georgia has a shot today, but I see a very close game down to the last couple of minutes, with Arkansas stretching the lead at the FT line.

Dec 8, 2006
and gets the automatic bid, Kentucky will be the last at large SEC team in, probably a #10 seed, with Georgia being a #12 seed.

As for the others,

TN - #1
Vandy - #4
Arkansas #6
MSU #7

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
Mississippi State 12-4 22-10 Arkansas 9-7 22-10 Those numbers tell the real story of the difference in these two teams. Unfortunately, there are too many non-basketball people calling the shots.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
williecunningham said:
Mississippi State 12-4 22-10 Arkansas 9-7 22-10 Those numbers tell the real story of the difference in these two teams. Unfortunately, there are too many non-basketball people calling the shots.

actually, we are 13-5 in the SEC and they are 11-7...and the 22-10 tells you about how they played better pre-conference and have a better RPI...that is the real story</p>

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
actually, we are 13-5 in the SEC and they are 11-7...and the 22-10 tells you about how they played better pre-conference and have a better RPI...that is the real story</p>
Actually, the real story is that they have 6 #$##@!# seniors and had a 22-10 record and lost the west by 3 games to a team starting a senior, junior, and 3 sophmores with no #$##@!# depth. As for the RPI, I believe we had a higher RPI until they beat Vandy twice and then Tenn. yesterday and we lost to UGA. I won't argue with the pre-conf. but with 6 seniors what did you expect? I wouldn't be shocked to see arkansas with a higher seed than us, but I also wouldn't be shocked for us to have the same seed.

With that said, I picked Arkansas as my dark horse in the tourney when they started struggling in conf. play. They have alot of talent and I think they will have the opportunity to make a run like Lsu did. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them, because they will be a tough team in the tourney.

I think the tourney has really shown that the SEC is not as down as all the "experts" thought it was. Every game has been competitive and has come down to the wire.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
Coach34 said:
williecunningham said:

</p>Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "they are 13-5 and we are 11-7"? And actually the conference tournament results don't count in the league standings.

patdog

May 28, 2007
williecunningham said:
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "they are 13-5 and we are 11-7"? And actually the conference tournament results don't count in the league standings.
If you think the NCAA selection committee doesn't count the counference tournament games, you're wrong. The only reason Arkansas got in the tournament last year was their 3 SEC tournament wins.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
Where did I say the selection committee doesn't count tournament games. I said they won't count in the conference standings. Try and keep up.

patdog

May 28, 2007
williecunningham said:
Where did I say the selection committee doesn't count tournament games. I said they won't count in the conference standings. Try and keep up.

YOU try to keep up. This whole <17>ing thread is about the NCAA selection. We can all find the conference standings at secsports.com
</p>

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
but never put too much stock in a bunch of numbers. Standings proved to be the best measure in comparing MSU and Arkansas.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login