Football is coming fast, but hoops ain't far behind

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
And we have a squad that will likely gather a fair amount of pre-season buzz. Maybe not consensus top 25 buzz but I expect we will be mentioned a few places. Here's one to whet your appetite.

1690383565351.png

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
And we have a squad that will likely gather a fair amount of pre-season buzz. Maybe not consensus top 25 buzz but I expect we will be mentioned a few places. Here's one to whet your appetite.

View attachment 371638
Uh oh. “Second weekend potential.”

kiss of death.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

View attachment 371638
I’m always a little cautious with coaches that get off to a hot start because as much I’d like to believe that we’ll maintain steady upward trajectory, it seems like there are ups and downs in the first few years more often than not.

That said, based on what we saw last season, it stands to reason that if we can find even the slightest inkling of an actual offense, this could be a special year. Maybe not start to finish, but a team that definitely has the capability to make some noise when it matters in March

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m always a little cautious with coaches that get off to a hot start because as much I’d like to believe that we’ll maintain steady upward trajectory, it seems like there are ups and downs in the first few years more often than not.

That said, based on what we saw last season, it stands to reason that if we can find even the slightest inkling of an actual offense, this could be a special year. Maybe not start to finish, but a team that definitely has the capability to make some noise when it matters in March
There's definitely some real potential to be a good team this year. The summer exhibitions in Portugal will help a lot too. It's like extra spring practice we get to get the players adjusted to the coaches and system and figure out which lineups and rotations work best.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

View attachment 371638
Excited about hoops this year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Be interesting to see how the TEAM develops, but sure seems like the Coach is making real progress.
Hopefully none of the losses this season will be head scratchers and we get a few big wins.
Gonna be fun to watch.
LIKE OUR FOOTBALL SEASON!

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
A lot to be excited about. We return our whole starting lineup from last year and should have a greatly improved bench.

Jans can really coach, that much is obvious. I thought he got the absolute most he could’ve out of last year’s roster. Did not think we would even be in the NIT before the season. If we stay healthy, our combo of returning experience and better offensive options should have us safely in the tourney with no bubble watch required.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Poetically, it’s been 17 years since we’ve been

I can’t count. 27, omg

Yeah, it would be nice to get out of this tie with UGA for the longest streak in the SEC without a trip to the Sweet 16.

last NCAAlast Swt 16last Final 4Notes
Kentucky202320192015
Florida202120172014
Arkansas202320231995Went from 1996 to 2021 with no Sweet 16 appearance
LSU202220192006
Alabama20232023N/A
Tennessee20232023N/A
Auburn202320192019
State202319961996
Vanderbilt20172007N/A
Georgia201519961983Only 3 bids since 03, one was auto for tornado tournament
Ole Miss20192001N/AOnly 3 bids since 03
South Carolina201720172017their only NCAA appearance since 2004
Texas A&M20232018N/ASix straight bids from 06-11, only three since then (joined SEC in 2012)
Missouri20232009N/A

Let this also serve as a reminder of just how remarkable the 96 Final Four run was. Look at the programs that have never been there - Alabama, Tennessee, and Missouri in particular have had teams capable of making it but just haven't been able to do it.

Reactions: dorndawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If we have not acquired some reliable outside shooting, I suspect this year will be a repeat of last year.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If we have not acquired some reliable outside shooting, I suspect this year will be a repeat of last year.
Allow me to introduce you to a couple of guys.

Trey Fort played a year at UT Martin and year of JUCO at Howard College. FR at UT Martin didn't play much (81 minutes), but was 5-12 from three.
Transferred down to Howard College (a JUCO, not to be confused with Howard University) for his sophomore year. Started all but one game. Was 89-197 from three, comes out to 45.2%. Also shot 86% from the line. 24.9 ppg. He won't sniff that point total this year, but hopefully he can at least be a guy who can knock down an open jumper at least 37% of the time. I mean, his name is TREY for Pete's sake.

Andrew Taylor is a fifth year transfer from Marshall. Averaged a little better than 20 ppg last year. For his career he's a 35.5% three point shooter. He got his points in part because he was a high volume guy. Got off almost 19 shots/game last year. For reference, Tolu led us in shots/game and he was only at 10 shots/game! This is the above referenced white guy. He's from Kentucky, so maybe he's the second coming of Riley Benock? Before you laugh, Benock shot 42% from three his senior year on 118 attempts. I have to think Jans would take that right now.

There's also Josh Hubbard.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Josh Hubbard has potential to be a HUGE contributor towards the end of the year. Would love to see 2-3 good years out of that guy

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Allow me to introduce you to a couple of guys.

Trey Fort played a year at UT Martin and year of JUCO at Howard College. FR at UT Martin didn't play much (81 minutes), but was 5-12 from three.
Transferred down to Howard College (a JUCO, not to be confused with Howard University) for his sophomore year. Started all but one game. Was 89-197 from three, comes out to 45.2%. Also shot 86% from the line. 24.9 ppg. He won't sniff that point total this year, but hopefully he can at least be a guy who can knock down an open jumper at least 37% of the time. I mean, his name is TREY for Pete's sake.

Andrew Taylor is a fifth year transfer from Marshall. Averaged a little better than 20 ppg last year. For his career he's a 35.5% three point shooter. He got his points in part because he was a high volume guy. Got off almost 19 shots/game last year. For reference, Tolu led us in shots/game and he was only at 10 shots/game! This is the above referenced white guy. He's from Kentucky, so maybe he's the second coming of Riley Benock? Before you laugh, Benock shot 42% from three his senior year on 118 attempts. I have to think Jans would take that right now.

There's also Josh Hubbard.
That sounds great, let's see what they do here.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Debbie downer time- Eric Reed was an awesome outside shooter when he was coming in. Multiple years of consistent high volume shooting at the d1 level.
...and then we saw what happened.

I really hope that doesn't happen again this season with a hyped shooter.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Debbie downer time- Eric Reed was an awesome outside shooter when he was coming in. Multiple years of consistent high volume shooting at the d1 level.

My counterpoint to that would be that Reed played in a horrible conference when he did all that, I think the OVC was 29th in conference NET last year.

I think it’s fair to be skeptical of Fort coming from JUCO until we see him do it, but Taylor played in a much better mid major conference than what Reed came from. And frankly was more successful, too. I’d be surprised if he ends up being the same kind of player as Reed.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

I had Reed's name in my original post with that exact statement but took it out because I figured someone would say "Your a moran! Fort's game and Reed's game are not at all similar!" And maybe that's true. I haven't seen Fort play, but I do know he's bigger and he got to the line more in JUCO than Reed did at SEMO. So I took it out. But I agree that there is probably a comparison to make.

I'll push back a little on the awesome and multiple years parts about Reed. He shot it great his freshman year, but regressed his sophomore year. Then he fell off a cliff this year. It's hard to put this year's struggles all on the increased competition level. I mean he was missing WIDE OPEN jumpers all year long. Back to his freshman year stats - he was 45.9%. To qualify for the NCAA leaderboard you have to make 2.5 threes/game. Reed was at 2.3 per game. He was seven makes short of qualifying which is not that much over a 27 game season. Maybe one more made three every other week and he would have been on the leaderboard.

Fort made 3.1/game this year and at his 45.2% would have had him third in D-1. That's why I backed it down to 37%. That would still be top 75 in the country if he makes the required 2.5/game.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We are happy to have 2nd weekend potential, but not 2nd weekend reality. I've never understood that contentment.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login