Football-Only Conference Hypothetical.........

Will you still support MSU football under the following alignment?

• Yes

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Proposal then a Poll:

If Mississippi State ended up in a lower level football conference, would you as a fan, alum, or employee of MSU still buy season tickets and donate your money as you always have in the past? (remember, no other sports would be effected).

Last edited:
Reactions: olblue

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
We already have a football only conference. It's called the National Football League!
There will not be a college football only league with the Top 32 teams. The rest would organize against it a Sue to prevent such a league.
The NFL has had teams go 7-9 and make the playoffs. What Dan base of the elite programs will accept 6-6 and 7-5 records even if they make the playoffs? Not going to happen.
Now you said the 20 team super league would still play teams from the lower level. That is where the law suits would come in. Who is going to be cannon fodder for the elites to have separate championships? Oh yeah. We already have that too. FBS and FCS.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Voted no.

You posted it at 2:25 am and it shows.

One huge paragraph followed by a second smaller paragraph.

Bullet points and short paragraphs please for clarity’s sake.

I can’t vote for something that’s incomprehensible.
I did the opposite. I voted yes without reading. I will “support” State regardless. It’s part of who I am. Now if his paragraph said we are joining the ISIS league I’m gonna feel real bad.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My understanding is we've got swing with the Saudis through our petro engineering and they're going to fund or athletics in the future**

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The SEC and Big 10 will not go away. They will likely form some type of NFC/AFC alliance. 60ish teams will likely be the sweet spot. The top tier teams in the ACC and ND will be included in any alliance. What happens to the rest of the ACC and Big 12 is debatable, they may have a seat at the table, but the SEC/Big 10 will set the rules.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's a dumb situation that won't every happen. Either they will split completely, or they won't.

All you 'super conference' promoters may as well chill, because that's not happening for a long while.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
So Georgia and Mississippi State would play an SEC schedule, but one would be playing for top tier playoff, and one would be playing for the lower tier playoff?

I don’t see the point of that format. That would be like deciding before the basketball season that Group A is playing for the NCAA Tournament and Group B is playing for the NIT, regardless of how good those teams end up being.

If your goal is a consolation playoff, why not just have a consolation playoff made up of teams that didn’t make the CFP?

I don’t want a consolation playoff. Expand the CFP to 24 teams.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The SEC and Big 10 will not go away. They will likely form some type of NFC/AFC alliance. 60ish teams will likely be the sweet spot. The top tier teams in the ACC and ND will be included in any alliance. What happens to the rest of the ACC and Big 12 is debatable, they may have a seat at the table, but the SEC/Big 10 will set the rules.
It will be a much looser alliance than the AFL-NFL merger. I think the next big split will be the G5 schools getting their own playoff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login