Football schedule update

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Good move. Need to push out as many nonconference road games as we can in the next couple of years to dates farther out that we know will be after the OU / UT migration to the SEC. Those moves are going to throw everybody’s schedule out of whack anyways, and a lot of games are likely going to straight up get cancelled.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think this was more about not taking another trip down to Tulane and giving them 7 years to find an excuse to cancel the Starkville game. Originally scheduled as a 2020/2023 series, but the 2020 game got pushed to 2030 due to Covid, so its now a 2030/2032 series. That's just a guess on my part though. It does look like this came from us, not Tulane though. I think we'll see a lot of deeply discounted and unsold tickets in 2023 unless we have a really good season this fall. It's hard for most people to make 8 trips to Starkville in 13 weeks.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The 3 back to back to back are a killer like we have this Fall. That sucks even thought I live in Starkville most of the time especially in Fall

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I think this was more about not taking another trip down to Tulane and giving them 7 years to find an excuse to cancel the Starkville game. Originally scheduled as a 2020/2023 series, but the 2020 game got pushed to 2030 due to Covid, so its now a 2030/2032 series. That's just a guess on my part though. It does look like this came from us, not Tulane though. I think we'll see a lot of deeply discounted and unsold tickets in 2023 unless we have a really good season this fall. It's hard for most people to make 8 trips to Starkville in 13 weeks.

I think its an opportunity to give more folks better flexibility to catch 6 or so games…hopefully at the same price or maybe only slightly increased price as the 7 game schedule from this past 2021 season. Nobody even goes to all 7 games as it is….even folks who live in Starkville. At least this is a home game meaning the league controls TV schedule and we get to keep more gate revenue when its going to be mostly our fans attending in either case.

But ultimately, every single game on the schedule for every single SEC team for 2023 and beyond might as well have a big *** asterisk by it, so there’s no point at all in having a nonconference road game scheduled for this year or next year if there is any way to avoid it. Obviously we weren’t getting out of the Tucson trip this year though, so this ties up the only other loose end for us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the only real change is going to be which SEC teams we play and we'll stay with 8 conference games with no real effect on the OOC games. I really doubt this is in any way related to OU and Texas joining the SEC.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I think the only real change is going to be which SEC teams we play and we'll stay with 8 conference games with no real effect on the OOC games. I really doubt this is in any way related to OU and Texas joining the SEC.

Chances of staying at 8 conference games are not great. Regardless of what anyone thinks about it, that’s reality.

But even if we do, its a huge chain reaction of events that happens just by cancelling 16 existing conference games and replacing them with OU / TX vs. somebody. Reshuffling to open dates is only going to get you so far. Nonconference games are going to be next on the chopping block.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've been hearing that for over a decade. Especially when we added A&M and Mizzou. And yet, we're still at 8 games and schools are going forward with filling out 4 OOC games per year for the indefinite future. Heck, they may go to 9 games for all I know. But I know about as much as any of the talking heads you see on ESPN, etc., and you do too. We'll see, but I just don't see the SEC messing with a scheduling format that gets us so many teams in the playoffs and NY6 bowls. IF the SEC moves to a 9-game schedule, it will be to get more teams in the expanded playoffs, it won't be because it added 2 more teams.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I've been hearing that for over a decade. Especially when we added A&M and Mizzou. And yet, we're still at 8 games and schools are going forward with filling out 4 OOC games per year for the indefinite future. Heck, they may go to 9 games for all I know. But I know about as much as any of the talking heads you see on ESPN, etc., and you do too. We'll see, but I just don't see the SEC messing with a scheduling format that gets us so many teams in the playoffs and NY6 bowls. IF the SEC moves to a 9-game schedule, it will be to get more teams in the expanded playoffs, it won't be because it added 2 more teams.

I agree. If there was advantage of playing 9 SEC games it would have already been done. Just look what happened when we played 10. A lot of 500 and sub 500 teams.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I agree. If there was advantage of playing 9 SEC games it would have already been done. Just look what happened when we played 10. A lot of 500 and sub 500 teams.

And still an undefeated SEC and National Champion, and a one loss SEC team who only got beaten by that national champion. You left out that small detail.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Was really looking forward to a weekend in NOLA next Fall and seeing Tulane’s new outdoor stadium.
Oh well- hope I can make it 11 years!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

A lot has happened in that decade, most notably major declines in in-person attendance across the board that was made worse by a global pandemic. Skyrocketing TV revenues made on the backs of appealing P5 vs. P5 matchups. The SEC is going to remain, by far, the strongest league in the country with no close 2nd place….under any scheduling format. That isn’t going to change….ever.

But anyway, it’s not worth arguing about. 8 games or 9 games, it’s going to be a completely reshuffled deck when OU / TX jump on board. And any NC games scheduled out into the future that need to get cancelled will get bought out by the conference. It will be no skin off any individual school’s back.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Was really looking forward to a weekend in NOLA next Fall and seeing Tulane’s new outdoor stadium.
Oh well- hope I can make it 11 years!

Nobody’s stopping you from still going. The game was always going to be only a small sideshow for anyone who made that trip.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login