Football scholarship limit increased to 105

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Dang, this sucks for schools like us.

“Football, with a current scholarship restriction of 85, will now have a roster limit of 105 — a 20-scholarship increase for those schools willing to give the maximum.”

Reactions: 92Pony

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
I agree with you on this one, the rich get richer,

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Our brilliant AD owes an explanation to Gamecock fans, imho.
( I use the word "brilliant" loosely)

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I agree. Damn him for allowing this to happen......
Now I don't blame him alone. And, for all I know, he may have opposed it (though since this really helps baseball, I would not bet he opposed it). But this is detrimental to college football. I like the other sports OK. But, it's football I am most interested in. This really hurts Carolina football. It's like we entered a black hole time warp and went back to the 1960s. Yes we won our only conference championship back at the end of that decade. The ACC was a shade better than the Southern Conference back then. But, for the most part, Carolina football was awful in the 1960s.. Tulane came to our stadium in 1963 with the longest losing streak in college football. They broke it against us, 20-7.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Yeah on another note, the increase of 22.3 scholarships for baseball - nearly TRIPLING the previous number of 11.7 to a total now of 34 scholarships - should be a massive boon for programs that have strong traditions like South Carolina's, but losing potential solid athletes to the Vanderbilts who were always at an unfair advantage for being able to supplement their scholarship limits with financial aid from their national-leading endowment program that other universities cannot or - for some unknown reason - have chosen NOT to utilize as well.

This was the lone reason for how Vanderbilt became a perennial national title contender in college baseball. Top talent could go to a Vanderbilt (or Virginia who built their program up to contending for the CWS through their own endowment program) and not have to worry about having to split scholarship money with other players on the roster, if not having to foot the bills 100% out of pocket minus other academic scholarships or financial aid that pays small portions.

They could rely on having 100% tuition and boarding costs covered, as if they were on the football program. So, that was a huge recruiting advantage for Vanderbilt and other similar programs, that programs like South Carolina could not match. Now with the increase of scholarships for ALL programs, that advantage is severely cut down to size, if not removed altogether.

The only thing is that now Vanderbilt has been able to ride this advantage into establishing a great winning tradition for their program they would NOT have had otherwise, so they may still be able to benefit from that advantage for years to come. But it should start showing a steady decline back into the pack for programs like this, where they more now have to look other programs in the eyes on common ground, and when they used to do that before the endowment advantages, they weren't much at all.....

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
This is good news for Softball and Volleyball and will get them very close to handing out full scholarships. That I like.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
We reduced the number to help with parity. Why go back?
The NCAA is simply acquiescing to whatever the FBS schools are demanding. They are allowing the FBS enough rope to hang themselves. The next step will be employee status which will be the death knell for FBS level college sports.

In no way can those numbers fit within the equitable Title IX parameters. This is almost a “do it, I dare you” move.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
One thing's for sure, if you thought the transfer portal has been active in previous years, wait until we're a season down the line from schools like UGA, Bama, OSU, etc being able to sign 20 extra recruits. With the unlimited transfer option, it's likely you'll see those school stockpile more of the top recruits, with the players knowing they can bail to the portal after a season if they failed to land a starting spot.

Reactions: 3USC1801

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
If you don't play will the school's supporters give you any NIL money? Or will a school pay you to stay there and not transfer?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The NCAA is simply acquiescing to whatever the FBS schools are demanding. They are allowing the FBS enough rope to hang themselves. The next step will be employee status which will be the death knell for FBS level college sports.

In no way can those numbers fit within the equitable Title IX parameters. This is almost a “do it, I dare you” move.
Exactly what I was thinking. With 20+ new scholarships in football and baseball, schools will have to add entirely new womens sports to balance them out under Title IX, correct?

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Exactly what I was thinking. With 20+ new scholarships in football and baseball, schools will have to add entirely new womens sports to balance them out under Title IX, correct?
Pretty much….or cut other men’s sports, though like Clemson found out, that can have you running afoul of Yitle IX also.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It's a terrible idea until proven otherwise. I'll take the under. Lots of half-@$$ed players will benefit to some extent. Meanwhile, the FCS and Div. II classifications will field teams that look like Class AA high school teams.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

I don't understand their desire to spend significantly more money to enroll what is bound to be more lower-level talent.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
If you think the transfer portal was busy before, what do think is going to happen now.
Going to need more staff just to monitor transfers.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I don't understand their desire to spend significantly more money to enroll what is bound to be more lower-level talent.
The power players in college football obviously don’t believe they will be signing lower level players.
I know that was tongue-in-cheek. But we all know he amounts to the proverbial ant fart in a cyclone anyway.
As does every AD who isn’t at UGA, BAMA, TOSU, UMEAT, UND, TEXAS, etc. Those are the ADs that have the power to impact major college football.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
This is one more brick in the wall that separates the CFB we have known for decades and now watching most of what we
loved being dismantled. I've almost become numb to everything from expansion talk to TV contracts that involves college football - I realize it goes deeper than one sport. When the NCAA showed how toothless they are and let everything default to the courts wasn't the first brick in the wall, but it created a mess that can't be rolled back now.

Speaking of walls I have a vision of a shiny, red Italian race car and then a brick wall. Like that, but unfolding over more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
The power players in college football obviously don’t believe they will be signing lower level players.

As does every AD who isn’t at UGA, BAMA, TOSU, UMEAT, UND, TEXAS, etc. Those are the ADs that have the power to impact major college football.
There are only so many players who are difference makers. Behind them are mainstays, non-skill players mostly. Many more players who will wind up seeing little to no playing time at FBS schools would have lifted the fortunes of FCS schools all over the country.

As for the ADs, I think you could reasonably stretch that list to those serving at other Power Three schools - maybe 25-30 total. But ours ain't one of them. Hyman was a pro who could have aspired to that higher level. He discovered the hard way that the politics at A&M were even more hazardous than here, but not before he raised the money to make that football stadium and its surrounding area what it is today.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login