Football Scrimmage Reports/Rumors 8/12/23

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Its early, but signs are extremely promising for a finish in the 6-6 to 8-4 range, with guaranteed losses to LSU and Bama, and a season that will propel us solidly towards another Top 25-30 recruiting class that’s also not even Top 10 in our conference.

Just like always.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Its early, but signs are extremely promising for a finish in the 6-6 to 8-4 range, with guaranteed losses to LSU and Bama, and a season that will propel us solidly towards another Top 25-30 recruiting class that’s also not even Top 10 in our conference.

Just like always.
Well we could be Cal. ******

Reactions: patdog

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
Poster on ED is there. He is giving some good vibe updates.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Sounds like defense dominated early, offense eventually adjusted and made some big plays, general positives on both sides of the ball.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Defense is fast and physical....the rebuilt secondary is looking good and Mike freaking Wright is at minimum a great change of pace .......offense has tons of motion and could be reallly good

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’m curious who is going to replace Thomas’ and Ducking’s roles. They were the only big guys who straight up beat good coverage for quite a few TDs.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
I’m curious who is going to replace Thomas’ and Ducking’s roles. They were the only big guys who straight up beat good coverage for quite a few TDs.
Here is our 3-deep for outside reciever:
1691930758340.png

ETA: not sure the order of those positions is 100% accurate, but those are the candidates.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Rara was a legitimate SEC receiver, Ducking got off to a hot start but kinda disappeared down the stretch.

Robinson showed me enough in the bowl game to feel good about him starting. Between Zavion, Walley, and Mosley, I think we will be fine at the other spot too. Not really expecting a drop off from last season, and we might be better at WR this year with a more narrowed down rotation.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
What hours are they practicing? In this heat it must be very early and then very late.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
What hours are they practicing? In this heat it must be very early and then very late.

The scrimmage was last night. I know they’ve been practicing in the morning a lot but that may have to adjust some with classes starting Wednesday.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Heard they was gonna let them line up and play

Just like always.
That's a whole lot better than the 50's and 60's and in some other time periods as well. I'll take a 6-6 to 8-4 season all day long with an occasional 9-3 or 10-2 stumbled upon. We have to realize who we are.....we're the smallest market most rural team in the SEC. We actually do pretty good considering.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Here is our 3-deep for outside reciever:
View attachment 384189

ETA: not sure the order of those positions is 100% accurate, but those are the candidates.
Zavion and Walley aren’t going to take Rara’s place. Robinson might but I don’t recall him making big physical plays last year although he does get open. I’m not sure about those other guys but maybe someone will step up and surprise everyone. It’s not realistic to expect every catch to be in open space so we will need a couple of guys to be bullies.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This team is gonna be surprisingly good. Tons of talent and experience. Apparently Mike Wright has been working on improving his accuracy.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's a whole lot better than the 50's and 60's and in some other time periods as well. I'll take a 6-6 to 8-4 season all day long with an occasional 9-3 or 10-2 stumbled upon. We have to realize who we are.....we're the smallest market most rural team in the SEC. We actually do pretty good considering.

It wasn’t a complaint as much as it was a general commentary on the high degree of predictability in modern college football for have-not programs in conferences like the SEC. It’s made the sport as a whole a horrible product.

We’ve had really good coaches in Mullen and Leach who always finished in that range. We even had a bad coach in Moorhead who stayed in that range. The 9-3 / 10-2 seasons are pipe dreams that only happen when we get a ridiculously easy SEC schedule AND have a loaded roster at important positions….like we did in 1999 and 2014.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Zavion and Walley aren’t going to take Rara’s place. Robinson might but I don’t recall him making big physical plays last year although he does get open. I’m not sure about those other guys but maybe someone will step up and surprise everyone. It’s not realistic to expect every catch to be in open space so we will need a couple of guys to be bullies.
You know slot receivers and "can't catch them in a phone booth" guys are great but we really need a big Wide Receiver to possibly help us get to the next level with our offense. If you look at every effective offense, they have at least one field stretching wide out. If he has a good with supporting cast, it's even better. If you don't have at least one solid Wide Receiver that can make a defense feel that you have a threat a down the field, they will just stack their Safeties and the rest of their defense within 10 yards of the ball and suffocate you.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
You know slot receivers and "can't catch them in a phone booth" guys are great but we really need a big Wide Receiver to possibly help us get to the next level with our offense. If you look at every effective offense, they have at least one field stretching wide out. If he has a good with supporting cast, it's even better. If you don't have at least one solid Wide Receiver that can make a defense feel that you have a threat a down the field, they will just stack their Safeties and the rest of their defense within 10 yards of the ball and suffocate you.
Rara is the best example I can think of in the last twenty years for State. We didn’t skip a beat without Heath but Thomas is probably going to be missed. It’s a damn shame to see how that young man threw away his future.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login