Football & the baseball championship

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Now that the regular season is completed, what effect do you think the baseball championship had on you and our fans' reaction the the season? For me, 7 wins was our ceiling so we hit that. Any disappointment especially from the egg bowl is definitely tempered by having the ring in baseball. No reason we can't make that 8-9 wins next year, especially considering the schedule. Of course, 1 of those wins *really* needs to be against flagship.

Interesting to re-read this thread:

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/sho...tement-for-football-**&highlight=wins+ceiling

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Made it 10x more enjoyable. We finally did something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. The rest is just gravy, assuming we are baseline competitive.

Feb 23, 2008
Hoisting up the real hardware beats holding an old scratched up egg.

That said, we better get that scratched up egg back next year.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Egg Bowl

Made it 10x more enjoyable. We finally did something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. The rest is just gravy, assuming we are baseline competitive.

It was a fun football year, but learning from your mistakes is never fun to watch. We’ll be better next year.

The baseball championship made it easier to endure. Smart-*** Ole Miss fan sat in front of me, Thursday, and got louder as Ole Miss got to 31. He started talking to me about how good Ole Miss athletics were becoming. I smiled and said, There is really just one difference between Ole Miss and us. We play baseball in June. He went back to his beer and didn’t say any more

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
He started talking to me about how good Ole Miss athletics were becoming.

Every year. Literally every year with them. You have to admire their ability to completely ignore how ****** their athletics are in the grand scheme of things though. Especially considering football and all the money they throw at recruits.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's bad when your football program has been so disappointing that you have to claim wins in another sport to argue.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
1. It’s not 1982 - the Sugar Bowl isn’t that big of a deal in 2021.

2. Bama will be in the Sugar Bowl and won’t travel to it because - see #1.

3. You’re trying way to hard and it shows…

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
THis fall, You couldn't go anywhere in Starkville or campus without seeing or hearing mentioned, the baseball NC. State should celebrate it, just so I am clear. So, I am sure the NC lessens the sting of losing to every single football rival surrounding you.

The question for me is........if Lemonis continues to build the baseball program up and up....and State football continues to get bent over by Bama and OM every year......will the people that matter just punt on competing with OM in football and double down on beating them in baseball.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Have you studied our record against them? We've been spanking that *** handily for the last 5+ years

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
7 wins with a chance to get to 8 is bad???? It’s basically been the high water mark for 100 years…

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
THis fall, You couldn't go anywhere in Starkville or campus without seeing or hearing mentioned, the baseball NC. State should celebrate it, just so I am clear. So, I am sure the NC lessens the sting of losing to every single football rival surrounding you.

The question for me is........if Lemonis continues to build the baseball program up and up....and State football continues to get bent over by Bama and OM every year......will the people that matter just punt on competing with OM in football and double down on beating them in baseball.
Not competing in Football would be bad for baseball as well, and all other sports. Football pays the bills.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
It will pay the bills if you’re great or suck. That SEC check will still show up - ask Vandy…

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It's disappointing when your winning season is ruined by a loss to OM.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We've won at least 7 games 9 times in the last 13 years. I don't really care much about the 87 years prior to that, the expectation now is to win 7 games.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
It will pay the bills if you’re great or suck. That SEC check will still show up - ask Vandy…

Exactly. I was referring more to football recruiting and NIL for football. OM is getting back to recruiting shenanigans with NIL money. Will State money people match them or just fold and focus on baseball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login