Football: What is one thing you want to see improve in 2023?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I want to see our offense improve on 3rd down. Against SEC opponents, we were dead last in 3rd down conversion rate last season, converting less than 33% of the time.

We were actually really good in the red zone: 68% TD rate (SEC games only), behind only Tennessee and Georgia. If we could combine this success rate with sustained drives, our offense could improve greatly.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I want to see our offense improve on 3rd down. Against SEC opponents, we were dead last in 3rd down conversion rate last season, converting less than 33% of the time.

We were actually really good in the red zone: 68% TD rate (SEC games only), behind only Tennessee and Georgia. If we could combine this success rate with sustained drives, our offense could improve greatly.
The number of football national championships we have?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I want Rogers to get rid of the ball faster. No sitting around waiting all day. That's a skill he's got to acquire if he wants a prayer of making an NFL roster. Drop back, let it go, let your receivers make the catch and see what they can after that.

Play-calling is going to be a huge part of offensive success we have this year (assuming we have it). I'm glad we finally have a dedicated OC, rather than an offensive head coach. We don't have super athletes that can make incredible plays no matter what; rather, we have very good athletes who excel at what they do. So I hope Barbay has them playing fast and in their role. No fancy stuff, just execute the plays.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’d like to see better pass rushing and better safety play. Far too often last year we had Duncan singled up on the opponent’s best receiver for disastrous results. For the offense I’d like to see more HR balls and meaningful use of the TE. I know leach didn’t have TEs but even going back as far as Mullen I don’t feel we have gotten affective use of TEs.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

I'm excited that on 3rd and short - we will run the ball.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I agree with what others said about big plays. It’s really tough to expect college players to be able to nickel and dime teams to death consistently without making mistakes (holding penalties, turnovers, sacks allowed, etc.). It’s important to be able to score quickly from time to time.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Consistency on offense. We had a tendency to go to sleep for periods during games.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
More explosive plays offensively. I believe we were dead last in all of college football last year. That has to improve.
Definitely miss the days of a qb, running back, or receiver breaking off a big run to the end zone. Miss seeing guys just make someone miss and then be gone. Everything under leach was dink and dunk. Everything under Moorhead was just dink

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
More creativity in the offensive game. More pass rush on defense. Utilize our playmakers on offense in the redzone. Not put the game solely in will's hands. I think play action and running the ball from
Multiple directions will help.

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
The amount of points we score against Alabama.

Last five meetings we’ve been outscored 22-182. Last time we scored double digits was 2017 (24pts). Ooof.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not worried about offense as much as our pass rush. I'm not convinced we can lose a 1st round DB and be able to cover as well.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not worried about offense as much as our pass rush. I'm not convinced we can lose a 1st round DB and be able to cover as well.
Defensive Line is definitely not something that concerns me. I actually even think we have incredible depth. Let's say we go to the 4-man front, which has been talked about:

Crumedy - 6th year guy, high 3 star
Taylor 4th year year, 4 star transfer from LSU/JUCO
Pickering - 5th year guy, 4 stars
Davis - 6th year guy, Bama commit from JUCO
Anderson - 3rd year guy, 4 star All American
Williams - 2nd year phenom, talked about like Cox/Jones
Russell - 5th year guy, 4 star recruit, all accounts say he's about to breakout

That's pretty freaking stout as a unit.

People keep talking about CB and S. All I know is, we have upper class depth there. So it won't be a weakness. Will it be as good as it was with Forbes? Probably not.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Defensive Line is definitely not something that concerns me. I actually even think we have incredible depth. Let's say we go to the 4-man front, which has been talked about:

Crumedy - 6th year guy, high 3 star
Taylor 4th year year, 4 star transfer from LSU/JUCO
Pickering - 5th year guy, 4 stars
Davis - 6th year guy, Bama commit from JUCO
Anderson - 3rd year guy, 4 star All American
Williams - 2nd year phenom, talked about like Cox/Jones
Russell - 5th year guy, 4 star recruit, all accounts say he's about to breakout

That's pretty freaking stout as a unit.

People keep talking about CB and S. All I know is, we have upper class depth there. So it won't be a weakness. Will it be as good as it was with Forbes? Probably not.
I know the front will be good and deep. I was remembering our defense being so salty they dictated the flow of the game, so our offense didn't have to carry us. Just wishing.

It would be great to have rush guys other teams grew afraid of. Defenses can still make a difference when we have to face the upper crust. Aint we on the Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, and Michigan schedule? Feels like it sometimes. Wish we had Georgia's schedule.

I would love to have a one bad *** Defense.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

Yards per attempt by Rgers.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Team: OL open some inside holes for RB to squirt through.

Fans: Get through the season without them begging for our starting QB to be benched. For some reason our fans always think the best QB is on the bench.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know the front will be good and deep. I was remembering our defense being so salty they dictated the flow of the game, so our offense didn't have to carry us. Just wishing.

It would be great to have rush guys other teams grew afraid of. Defenses can still make a difference when we have to face the upper crust. Aint we on the Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, and Michigan schedule? Feels like it sometimes. Wish we had Georgia's schedule.

I would love to have a one bad *** Defense.
I think we will. And even at LB with Johnson and Watson, we have Lewis and Purvis too. I’m telling you man this football team is going to be real.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I want to see someone bust off an 80 yard touchdown run. Haven't seen one of those in a hot maroon minute.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009

Win total*

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login