For all you retread haters…..

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Steve Sarkesian says add my name too. But, you don't want to even open this can of worms because they're are 20 to 1 or maybe way more former winners that couldn't keep doing it

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Here’s the deal you’re not seeing. You’re not gonna get 09-12 Dan. He’s not hungry anymore. He’s got close to 15MM in the bank has a sweet gig at ESPN, zero pressure, and get to spend time with his family. You know he can coach that is a given but if you thought he was a lazy recruiter then what do you think he is going be now? You would really have to do some due diligence here cause the last thing we need is complacent IDGAF Dan Mullen. He’s not your young hungry trying to built my program Mullen anymore. He’s 52 with 15MM in a bank in Georgia.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Here’s the deal you’re not seeing. You’re not gonna get 09-12 Dan. He’s not hungry anymore. He’s got close to 15MM in the bank has a sweet gig at ESPN, zero pressure, and get to spend time with his family. You know he can coach that is a given but if you thought he was a lazy recruiter then what do you think he is going be now? You would really have to do some due diligence here cause the last thing we need is complacent IDGAF Dan Mullen. He’s not your young hungry trying to built my program Mullen anymore. He’s 52 with 15MM in a bank in Georgia.
^^^^This^^^^ Dan doesn’t have the fire anymore.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
To be fair, unless you’re super close to him, you don’t know whether he still has the “fire” in him or not.

If he wanted to interview, I’d welcome him and go from there. I also didn’t have hard feelings about him leaving.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sabanesqe coaches who still have the fire despite mega success are few and far between. Just like me and you, if we won a $10 mil lottery, we'd take it easy the rest of our lives.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'd take Mullen back in a heartbeat. Eliminate his name from his resume and absolutely every MSU fan would without question. If you say you wouldn't you are lying to yourself.
Nah.

Smrat people would ask why the ESPN commentary gig and wonder if Don would be interested in going back to the grind.

Can someone — not named Dick Vermeil — who’s stepped away from coaching to be a commentator for several years return to lead a team to Glory?

(We’re talking National or World Title Glory — not whoo-hoo MSU won nine games)

(Oh yeah, Lew Holts doesn’t count either)

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We all know he lost the fire several times in Starkvegas.
Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

He was always good for at least one “I Don’t Care” loss per season after 2014.

I suspect it’ll go up to two such losses now.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nah.

Smrat people would ask why the ESPN commentary gig and wonder if Don would be interested in going back to the grind.

Can someone — not named Dick Vermeil — who’s stepped away from coaching to be a commentator for several years return to lead a team to Glory?

(We’re talking National or World Title Glory — not whoo-hoo MSU won nine games)

(Oh yeah, Lew Holts doesn’t count either)
Uhh….Mack Brown. Mike Leach did it too.

I don’t care how anyone specifically defines “glory” because everyone will just use that to suit their agenda. But those coaches had success after their time off.

Hell, Urban Meyer.

There’s nothing wrong with retreads.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Brown never quit on his team to look for another job

Mack had back to back Top 10 teams at UNC in the late 90’s and still took the job at Texas. Didn’t even coach the bowl game. I’m going to wager you’re wrong on this.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Uhh….Mack Brown. Mike Leach did it too.

I don’t care how anyone specifically defines “glory” because everyone will just use that to suit their agenda. But those coaches had success after their time off.

Hell, Urban Meyer.

There’s nothing wrong with retreads.
Leach is the Orange to Mullen’s Apple.

Leach was fired by Tech largely because of a helicopter parent with pull. Has Craig James done anything of substance since that event? No, he hasn’t.

Mack Brown— Jury’s out on him. I thought it was a lazy hire but the Heels have done well so far this season and have a good chance of making the ACC championship game again.

Ohio State was a Mountain Top job for Meyer. And he wasn’t so much a retread as it was a person who felt like (or said it was) he needed a break for health reasons (much like Vermeil).

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
Mullen ain’t making a return to coaching. His words

I think he would consider taking a HC job when his kids get older.

Dan & Megan are trying to turn their son into a golfer.

was21

May 29, 2007
AND he completed his quest...to be the HC at Florida and surpass his mentor Urban Meyer. He failed to do it..his quest is complete. He ain't corching again at the college level.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Has Florida’s program been that great outside of Meyer and Spurrier?
They are in dangerous territory. My theory is that you have 20-25 years after a natty to remain relevant and still be considered a true blue blood. For example, Tennessee in 1998. Does anybody see them as a program capable of a national title? Nope.

It’s been 15 years for Flarrda. Time keeps ticking. They better get the next hire right.

You can get though, just have to do it the hard way. Like Clemson. They weren’t really considered a national program until they finally broke through again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login