For the Arnett doubters

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
If you doubted the decision made in December, I completely understand where you are coming from. He’s a young, first year HC and with that comes a lot of risk. Every fan has a different level of risk tolerance and I don’t blame you.

BUT, if you doubt him because of our performances in the first 2 games - I seriously question how much you know about football.

We didn’t look very good in either of the two opening games, but it is TWO games. We are talking 120+ minutes of play. That is a far too small sample size to draw any conclusions about anything. If you say otherwise, you’re flat out wrong. The same goes for Barbay.

I have no idea if CZA will be successful or not - but no one does. This isn’t about sunshine pumping, this is about developing an opinion or drawing conclusions without adequate information to support it.

If you think Arnett and Barbay are bums, you don’t know what you’re talking about. If you think they’re fantastic, same deal. You don’t get any points for being able to say “I called it, I knew they sucked” after 2 games.

Now, let’s win us a ball game on Saturday.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The whole "slow down the offense" & playing upperclassmen ahead of better players is certainly questionable. But this week is the first real test of it all.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
If you doubted the decision made in December, I completely understand where you are coming from. He’s a young, first year HC and with that comes a lot of risk. Every fan has a different level of risk tolerance and I don’t blame you.

BUT, if you doubt him because of our performances in the first 2 games - I seriously question how much you know about football.

We didn’t look very good in either of the two opening games, but it is TWO games. We are talking 120+ minutes of play. That is a far too small sample size to draw any conclusions about anything. If you say otherwise, you’re flat out wrong. The same goes for Barbay.

I have no idea if CZA will be successful or not - but no one does. This isn’t about sunshine pumping, this is about developing an opinion or drawing conclusions without adequate information to support it.

If you think Arnett and Barbay are bums, you don’t know what you’re talking about. If you think they’re fantastic, same deal. You don’t get any points for being able to say “I called it, I knew they sucked” after 2 games.

Hello Mrs. Arnett. How are you this evening?

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
We're on a 1st year coach learning curve in the most competitive conference.

The wheels can't come off unless he sucks at recruiting or loses the locker room. I pray we have success this year, but I'm patient. I'm a State fan.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We will find out a lot about what we have at HC the next two weeks. Winning one or both of the LSU and SC games would go a long way toward proving that he’s legit.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I was not pleased at all about the Arizona game. Really disappointed in the performance, gameplan and execution. They had no business taking us to OT.

But I’m not dumb enough to draw drastic conclusions from one game. Unfortunately, many are.
Was trying to be funny. That being said, it is impossible to draw conclusions after two games. Arnett was a gamble that I would hope we all are hoping will work out. I do love the fire in his belly.

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Leach's first 2 games were pretty schizophrenic. He stated to figure it out in year 3.

Saban's first year at Bama was a joke. I'm not advocating for CZA one way or the other. I'm just reinforcing the same notion that it's too soon to tell.

Remember everyone saying we would not win anymore BB games after a short sec skid?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I was not pleased at all about the Arizona game. Really disappointed in the performance, gameplan and execution. They had no business taking us to OT.

But I’m not dumb enough to draw drastic conclusions from one game. Unfortunately, many are.
You’re smart enough to observe he got badly out coached against Arizona but you don’t think that matters because it’s his 2nd game? No one wants to tar and feather arnett but it’s a fair observation of early returns that he may be in over his head.

Reactions: Dawg1976

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Leach's first 2 games were pretty schizophrenic. He stated to figure it out in year 3.
I think the players started to figure it out in year 3.
I’m not saying CZA is a bust or even a mediocre hire. He might be great. We don’t know yet. I didn’t love our offense against Arizona. We’ll see how the year plays out. I expect some bumps in the road, hopefully there’s some good times to go with them.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
He is going to make some mistakes while learning but I am extremely optimistic about our future. He seems to be a very tough hard nosed kind of coach with fire. I like that. We need to be patient for awhile. It might be 3 or 4 years before we know where he can get us. Enjoy the ride.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
He is going to make some mistakes while learning but I am extremely optimistic about our future. He seems to be a very tough hard nosed kind of coach with fire. I like that. We need to be patient for awhile. It might be 3 or 4 years before we know where he can get us. Enjoy the ride.
I hope the rest of the ride is more enjoyable than last weekend's drive.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Better players on the bench? I’ll say this again, some of you fans (by this, I mean you fellows who purchase a ticket, but know little about football, or worse watch the game on your flat screen) must think that the coaches don’t come to practice and see the talent and effort. Coach Arnett is a sharp young man. The players like him. He needs time to establish the identity of his team. Too early to judge him.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Last week’s game was a head scratcher for sure based on the way things started. That said I can see where a defensive minded coach would look to rein it in and go conservative. Look back at Saban at LSU and he had chances to blow people out and games were much closer than they should have been due to his conservative nature. And that was with prior HC experience under his belt. And no I’m not saying Arnett is the next Saban in the making or making comparisons to those LSU teams and ours, just a comment on the mindset of a defensive guy moving to HC.

Week 1 there were boos when he punted on 4th and 1 early on our side of the field. Post game he commented how he was too conservative and need to loosen things a bit. 1st drive he goes for it on 4th and goal and AZ ends up with the ball at the 20. I don’t doubt a young guy may have second guessed himself on loosening up after the outcome of that decision.

All that to say before any judgement is passed on his coaching ability on my part I’ll wait longer to see how things play out. It may take more than a season to find out conclusively.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
If Arnett is going to be a CEO type coach which I think a head coach has to be in this age of college football, his only directive to his OC needs to be "score as many points as you can" and his directive to his DC needs to be "don't allow the other team to score points". That's what he hired them to do. Let them do it. He can reserve halftime azz chewings to deliver himself.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Barbay has been an OC for at least 3 years. I'm not sure how much football knowledge you need to realize that the box is loaded and your running game is shut down. I would think any OC with his experience would mix it up a little more than he did. A few screen plays etc. There might be reasons for not opening it up that the common fan is unaware of but I suspect, in my limited knowledge, that we will not be successful running the ball 39 times this Saturday. Esp into the line for crying our loud. Use Mike's speed. Get it to Tulu and Creedmore. Zavion. We might can win this thing

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
What did we expect? He's a very young first year head coach and switching to a new system with a QB who doesn't have the skill set to run it. Not so much this board but several on the other board were predicting 9 wins, crazy! I've always predicted 7-5 for this season with a floor of 6-6 and ceiling of 8-4. Leach may have gotten us to 9 wins, but not a first year head coach implementing a major scheme change.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I really hope Arnett is successful, but I am tired of MSU acting like we want to be “better” in football. We have to start acting like we are in the SEC and get SEC money. Rocky, Jackie, Croom, Mullen, Joe M., Leach, Arnett are the coaches I remember at MSU.

Out of the first time head coaches, Mullen was an obvious choice. But, we hire way too many first timers including AD’s. Jackie was looking to get back in football, or we would not have gotten him. It is just too risky to take a chance with that much money on a 50/50 chance of success. And if they pan out as successful, we’re just training them for the Floridas of the world.

Can’t we use some of the money we used to not have to go improve? We hire exactly like we did almost 40 years ago.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It might be worth saying we had a lot of questionable calls that went against us in that game also. So that made it an uphill battle. Just getting prepared for the Bama game tho I guess

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We're on a 1st year coach learning curve in the most competitive conference.

The wheels can't come off unless he sucks at recruiting or loses the locker room. I pray we have success this year, but I'm patient. I'm a State fan.
I think we call that resolved

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
You’re smart enough to observe he got badly out coached against Arizona but you don’t think that matters because it’s his 2nd game? No one wants to tar and feather arnett but it’s a fair observation of early returns that he may be in over his head.
I am not completely discounting what happened on Saturday. I am saying that it wrong to extrapolate such a small sample size and now be like “CZA might not be the guy”.

If Woody’s TD doesn’t get called back we probably aren’t having this discussion. And if one or two more plays go Arizona’s way, it’s different discussion too. But that’s my point. A couple plays here, a couple calls there in a single game should not be used to make any long term conclusions about coaching ability. And if we had won 52-10, I wouldn’t be clearing a spot for his statue either.

Just because he made mistakes last weekend doesn’t mean he IS a mistake.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We forced 5 TOs and barely ecked out a win against a team that would go winless in the west. Let that sink in. Let's hope and pray Arnett learns from this. We need to play balls out against the corndogs for 60 minutes. Don't fall into this "play not to lose" or "play to keep it close" BS.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We forced 5 TOs and barely ecked out a win against a team that would go winless in the west. Let that sink in. Let's hope and pray Arnett learns from this. We need to play balls out against the corndogs for 60 minutes. Don't fall into this "play not to lose" or "play to keep it close"
You don't know they would go winless in the SEC West. Personally, I think that game was a good tune-up for the LSU game while LSU blew out an FCS team. Hopefully we can seal the corners when on defense so their QB doesn't run wild on us.
I agree with not playing conservative. We need to score as many points as our offense can muster. Let's wear them out like FSU did. Let's impose our will!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Intelligence isn’t running rampant around here.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
We forced 5 TOs and barely ecked out a win against a team that would go winless in the west. Let that sink in. Let's hope and pray Arnett learns from this. We need to play balls out against the corndogs for 60 minutes. Don't fall into this "play not to lose" or "play to keep it close" BS.
While Arizona is improved they are about a .500 pac team and will struggle to make a bowl game. Their secondary is awful.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

Do I have enough information to call them Bums yet?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login