For the first time in recorded history

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
For the first time in recorded history
The first weather satellite was launched in 1960. The Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale was developed in 1971. I just wanted point out these facts to illustrate that "recorded history" in terms of ability to measure storms across the globe is at most no more than an 80 year timespan.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The first weather satellite was launched in 1960. The Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale was developed in 1971. I just wanted point out these facts to illustrate that "recorded history" in terms of ability to measure storms across the globe is at most no more than an 80 year timespan.
Yep. It's almost certainly happened many times in the past, just no one knew about it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Meanwhile in central Arkansas, we've gotten one decent rain in the last 6 weeks. If there's one thing this country doesn't care for, it's balance
Weather in Memphis is perfect today. Might have to go home sick in here a few minutes

Reactions: Seinfeld

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Maybe that is what finally broke the weather pattern. It looks like the heat here is going to break finally. Strangely, we will move a record-setting drought to a rainy pattern next week. We're going to go from drought to possible flooding. I'm worried because this drought has been so extreme and the temperatures have been so high the ground is absolutely scorched. Now we have no grass to hold the rains that may fall and we have very little topsoil before you hit rock, so it'll possibly run right off and create floods.

It's like they told me when I first came to Texas. You're going to like the weather here. It's mostly a hot Hell with Droughts interrupted occasionally by Flash Floods.

The progression of the hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico started some conversation among the weather guys I know about how strong/severe the winter-time storm systems progress this year since the Gulf has been relatively quiet. We've only had one hurricane in the Gulf, which moved through quickly. It did not do its job of relieving some of the energy trapped in the Gulf of Mexico.

I hope the long-term weather models this morning are correct, and we'll get our first actual cold front in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You must’ve misheard them. I’m more of a quail ridge or fair oaks hacker
LOL when I lived up there 20+ years ago, my dad and I would make the rounds of the public courses - Fox Meadows, Audobon, Galloway. I actually liked Galloway. When we were feeling frisky, we'd play Houston Levee, which I think is now Memphis National. Nice course.

Reactions: HRMSU

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
LOL when I lived up there 20+ years ago, my dad and I would make the rounds of the public courses - Fox Meadows, Audobon, Galloway. I actually liked Galloway. When we were feeling frisky, we'd play Houston Levee, which I think is now Memphis National. Nice course.
Quail and fair oaks are public courses as well. Generally for the working class on quail ridge and old retired guys on fair oaks, but I get to donate to their retirement occasionally.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm usually the one making mistakes and I still don't see anything wrong with that number

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Careful, now. It would be awfully difficult to blame the simultaneous occurrence of two strong hurricanes during peak hurricane season on Exxon if folks thought like that....
There a legit case to be made that clean marine fuels are the cause of the recent increase in ocean temperatures.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login