For the second year in a row, MISSISSIPPI STATE BEAT AUBURN

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Let that sink in. We don't usually beat Auburn two years in a row.

-"B-b-b-but, wE tOoK OuR FoOtS oFf tHeIR nEcKz!!!!!" No. Mississippi State is a school of primarily 2 to 3-* talent, playing an Auburn team with 4 to 5-* talent. They took our best shot, and then their talent started taking over.

The fact that we countered THEIR best shot, and had a field goal kicker kick a 44 yard field goal THREE times in a row, then stuff them in overtime, shows the grit of our team more than anything else.

I believe this win is one the best one State had since we went into Kyle Field last year and beat Texas A&M with their 101,000 screaming cultists.

Is Mike Leach the perfect coach? No. He admitted that he couldn't keep our players from being afraid of Alabama....and he's getting paid millions to do just that. However, he has a scheme that keeps us in games, and gives us a puncher's chance against more talented teams.

Is Cadillac Williams the answer for Auburn? As a Mississippi State fan, I hope the Auburn folks think so. He was fired up and inspirational last night. However, does he know how to build a program, keep their jock-sniffing boosters happy, work the NIL and Transfer Portal, and set up a recruiting system that will have players who can beat Alabama? I don't think so....and after SEC coaches game-plan and scheme a Cadillac Williams-coached team, and he inevitably fails, the Auburn people will be loathe to fire him because he's an "Auburn Man".

Enjoy last night's win. We have an even better chance against Georgia. They played their Super Bowl last night against Tennessee, and are bound for a let-down game. Remember that Missouri had them on the ropes, and we're better than Missouri.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Cadillac won't be the coach at auburn next year.
Quit acting like auburn was a great team. I swear some of you will do anything to polish a turd and settle for ****.
We won the game. We’ve lost too many of these to count over the years. No one is acting like we beat the 85 Bears here but nothing wrong with being happy about the win.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Quit acting like auburn was a great team. I swear some of you will do anything to polish a turd and settle for ****.
I admit this isn't State 6, Bama 3.... more like State 19- Auburn 16 in 1999. However, State still won the game against Auburn. It's a conference win, we're bowl-eligible, and I still think we have a chance against Georgia (just remember the Missouri game).

Reactions: Indognito

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We went into the game knowing we really didn't have to try to beat them. Then we had to try at the end to just be good enough to get the W.

It's the way young college men often think and behave. Just enough effort to get the grade. Nothing more.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I admit this isn't State 6, Bama 3.... more like State 19- Auburn 16 in 1999. However, State still won the game against Auburn. It's a conference win, we're bowl-eligible, and I still think we have a chance against Georgia (just remember the Missouri game).
Georgia is the best team we will face this year. That defense is going to crush will. We aren't Missouri. If we played Missouri on a neutral field they beat us.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Winning 7 games at msu is well above average here.
The last 30 years have been good to us minus croom.
Do I want more? Yes. But I’m not going to **** on above average while I also want more.

Reactions: Indognito

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

-"B-b-b-but, wE tOoK OuR FoOtS oFf tHeIR nEcKz!!!!!" No. Mississippi State is a school of primarily 2 to 3-* talent, playing an Auburn team with 4 to 5-* talent. They took our best shot, and then their talent started taking over.

The fact that we countered THEIR best shot, and had a field goal kicker kick a 44 yard field goal THREE times in a row, then stuff them in overtime, shows the grit of our team more than anything else.

I believe this win is one the best one State had since we went into Kyle Field last year and beat Texas A&M with their 101,000 screaming cultists.

Is Mike Leach the perfect coach? No. He admitted that he couldn't keep our players from being afraid of Alabama....and he's getting paid millions to do just that. However, he has a scheme that keeps us in games, and gives us a puncher's chance against more talented teams.

Is Cadillac Williams the answer for Auburn? As a Mississippi State fan, I hope the Auburn folks think so. He was fired up and inspirational last night. However, does he know how to build a program, keep their jock-sniffing boosters happy, work the NIL and Transfer Portal, and set up a recruiting system that will have players who can beat Alabama? I don't think so....and after SEC coaches game-plan and scheme a Cadillac Williams-coached team, and he inevitably fails, the Auburn people will be loathe to fire him because he's an "Auburn Man".

Enjoy last night's win. We have an even better chance against Georgia. They played their Super Bowl last night against Tennessee, and are bound for a let-down game. Remember that Missouri had them on the ropes, and we're better than Missouri.
Post less

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
We won with our D+ game. That’s infuriating in the moment but it’s also something we’ve almost never done in the past.

If we win another conference game this year, it will be a better win than any win this century outside of Auburn 2014. And both the teams we play are better than that Auburn team. Playing with house money at this point.

Oct 31, 2014

There's no chance the Auburn AD hires a first-time guy as head coach. Cadillac Williams will be the coach at JSU next year after Deion Sanders gets a bigger job, unless the incoming Auburn coach throws Williams a big salary to keep him around for continuity and recruiting.

I don't share your enthusiasm about Georgia. They're the defending national champions; beating Tennessee wasn't even on their list of goals for the year. They've set their sights a lot higher than that.

But, I hope I'm wrong and you're right!

Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Did you see how Georgia played yesterday? They are in late season form. We are struggling quarter to quarter

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
We went into the game knowing we really didn't have to try to beat them. Then we had to try at the end to just be good enough to get the W.

It's the way young college men often think and behave. Just enough effort to get the grade. Nothing more.
I recall the Kang saying something about how you can only get players really pumped for a couple games a year. Everyone has this game marked as a W… including the players. I think after we lit them up in the 1st quarter we convinced ourselves Auburn was the pushover we thought they’d be. So we eased up, Auburn started making plays and we couldn’t get our heads back in the game. It’s still a win and better than the alternative, but clearly this wasn’t a game the players got pumped about playing… especially with #1 rolling into town next week.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
We won with our D+ game. That’s infuriating in the moment but it’s also something we’ve almost never done in the past.

If we win another conference game this year, it will be a better win than any win this century outside of Auburn 2014. And both the teams we play are better than that Auburn team. Playing with house money at this point.
That's the thing I'm trying to focus on today. After being up 24-3, we had to come back to win it, but we did.

Reactions: onewoof

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
The frustration comes from not just how we played but how we played AT HOME against a team that was struggling long before their coach, OC and TE coach was fired.

It comes from seeing close to 35 minutes of no offensive output, which seems to be a theme with this team.

It comes from the Jekyl and Hyde nature of this team within a game or seeing a team that doesn't seem motivated or prepared to play (See second half against LSU and entire game against Kentucky).

You could make an argument, not a great one, that we don't typically play well at LSU at night or Kentucky but there was no excuse for the offensive inefficiency last night to a coaching staff that had 3 days to prepare for us.

Once we went ahead 24-3, the Auburn players were beat. You could see it in their body language but leave it to us to raise their carcass from the dead.

I'm not ready to get rid of Leach, although if he decides to retire at the end of the season I won't shed a tear, but I just want to see consistency from all three phases. I'm not even asking for greatness, just consistency so I know what to expect from our team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wanted to blow them out. THAT is what we rarely do, and we needed to do, and COULD HAVE DONE, especially after this week. Instead we gave them a moral victory.

We had them there. All we had to do was not be dumbasses starting in the mid-2nd quarter. And I'm really not sure who to blame it on. I'd like to say we should have ran the ball, but they were in a 4-man front and we had WRs open down the field, of course with any pressure at all Rogers isn't going to see them and Checkdown Charlie takes over.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login