For those rushing out to buy an Electric Vehicle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is going to turn into a huge cluster-17 before it's over.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Pretty sure we are already there. You have people forcing "green" energy with out the infrastructure there to support it. Meanwhile passing things as being environmental friendly without showing all the facts that it's not really that environmentally friendly to begin with in its current state,

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
The market will adjust and better charging options will emerge. Nothing to see here.
The new Chevy Silverado gets 400 miles to a charge. That is damn fantastic. The charge cost is $17 USD. Charging ports will be standardized with the Ford and Chevy joining the fray. In my opinion, that all needs to happen immediately.

You should pull up the articles discussing how hard it was to get fuel in 1904-1910 when the internal combustion engine started making the rounds. EV market will force the EV charging market to advance.

As a culture, we shouldn't be afraid of new systems that will make us a better society. We should welcome them and work to make them better.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty sure we are already there. You have people forcing "green" energy with out the infrastructure there to support it. Meanwhile passing things as being environmental friendly without showing all the facts that it's not really that environmentally friendly to begin with in its current state,

There is nothing not environmentally friendly about solar systems compared to fossil fuels. Stop letting the good hold you back because you demand perfect. Sometimes to start off in a good spot is better than bitching and moaning that it isn't 100% the damnest best thing ever and meets yours and everyones needs 100% in every situation.

Don't sacrifice progress because it is not 100% 17ng fantastic.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Again, no one if forcing "green" on anyone. Buy an internal combustion engine if you want, fine. Don't put in LED lights and energy efficient appliances, and insulated windows, and proper R value insulation in your house. Fine. But, as a country, we should be doing everything we can to push alternative energy systems out there, in our market.

I am for all of the following:
Wind, Solar, Geo, Nuclear, Coal, Oil, Gas etc. But if we are investing, the lions share should go to wind, solar, geo, and modern nuclear.
That is the future of energy production in our country.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not to mention the states (and soon to be Federal) zero-emissions laws that will become effective in the next several years. Gonna be interesting to see how they're planning to roughly double our country's electricity production in the next 20 years. Heck, we're even having far too many blackouts due to lack of capacity now.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If I could instill a general change in many customers I deal with it would be this. Stop doing nothing because you can't do everything. The elusive search for perfection has been an practical innovation killer forever.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When the government takes my money and uses it to help pay for someone else's "green" vehicle, its being forced on me.

You’re not ok with green energy credits?

Curious if you’re against oil companies getting tax subsidies?

There is no doubt there will be growing pains. I can’t see myself getting an electric vehicle until the infrastructure is built out much better

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Plus, it's like $4K to get an installed home charger. Car manufacturers are running up the pricing on EVs too. Rebates won't work for those.
It's a damn mess.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The new bill gives everyone a $7500 tax credit. Ford immediately raises price of Lightning by $8500. The whole deal is money laundering.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You’re not ok with green energy credits?

Curious if you’re against oil companies getting tax subsidies?

There is no doubt there will be growing pains. I can’t see myself getting an electric vehicle until the infrastructure is built out much better

What tax subsidies do you think oil companies get? Anything that's not generally available to all companies other than depletion accounting? I'm not saying they don't, I just never get an answer when I ask people.

I am generally against subsidies for anything other than low skilled labor and maybe crop insurance. That said, subsidies that at least produce something useful are preferable. Subsidies for fossil fuels and subsidies for utility scale solar and wind (provided they are production subsidies and not upfront) will generally result in useful assets. The solar and wind cause problems for grid reliability though when they are concentrated.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
There is nothing not environmentally friendly about solar systems compared to fossil fuels.

That's simply not true. Imagine the hundreds of thousands of acres that would need to be cleared/impacted to account for the solar farms needed to replace a portion of what drilling sites do. Also, the increase in mining for iron ore and opening numerous lithium mines to fulfill storage battery needs....because....you know...it's dark half the time. What operates these mines? Then in 20 years when these fields of glass are old and need to be replaced you have to dispose of all that and start the whole process over. I'm not against solar, wind, hydro, nuclear use them all, but don't believe the hype that this choice is green and fossil fuels are the boogie man. We need them all.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The new bill gives everyone a $7500 tax credit. Ford immediately raises price of Lightning by $8500. The whole deal is money laundering.

And then there is this small inconvenient fact:

[FONT=&quot]The climate deal struck yesterday by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin would significantly expand consumer tax credits for electric vehicles by offering a $7,500 tax credit to people buying an EV made with a certain percentage of minerals mined or processed in nations with U.S. free trade agreements, or recycled in North America.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But there’s a catch: The EV supply chain required for the tax credit doesn’t exist.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minerals required to make market-ready EV batteries — lithium, cobalt, graphite and nickel — are primarily mined, refined and processed in China and Russia or in less adversarial nations like the Democratic Republic of Congo and Indonesia that aren’t parties to U.S. free trade agreements (Greenwire, Feb. 24).[/FONT]

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Rather than manufactures going "all in" on fully electric vehicles, it seems plug in hybrids (like the RAV 4 Prime) are likely a better option for most. Most get 40-50 miles on a charge, so many could get back and forth to work on battery power, and have a hybrid for trips.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Nuclear power is the answer. Oh, wait, the green folks oppose nuclear power. Raping the land to create power is just as bad for the climate. Grass and trees produce oxygen and use CO2 so we're just robbing Peter to pay Paul. Not to mention the strip mining for minerals to create the batteries which will result in some ending up in land fills.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
It would reduce the need of a lot of people will feel to own two cars in the future.

BigDog72.sixpack

Nov 5, 2012
Do we all understand that China, Russia and India account for like 45% of the worlds pollution? And they're going to stop?? The US is leaps and bounds above every major country with respect to pollution. This is all candyland euphoria by the idiots in charge THAT HAVE ZERO BUSINESS SENSE.
November is coming!!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The big promoters have enough "business sense" to get rich by imitating chicken little.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
That’s not true. Ford’s tax credit has been in place for nearly a decade. They just haven’t sold as many EV units (capped at 200,000) to sunset it to $0 like Tesla.

There’s literally an 8 or 10 year lag between that credit being established and Ford raising their prices.

Last edited:

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
I don't have a lot of knowledge about EV's other than Tesla is a great stock to day trade. If it takes 20-30 minutes to charge on a super charger vs 5 minutes to fill-up with gas, how many more chargers will there need to be vs gas pumps, as the EV market continues to grow? Or is the plan to eventually have battery life so that this will not factor in as much? Honest question.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't have a lot of knowledge about EV's other than Tesla is a great stock to day trade. If it takes 20-30 minutes to charge on a super charger vs 5 minutes to fill-up with gas, how many more chargers will there need to be vs gas pumps, as the EV market continues to grow? Or is the plan to eventually have battery life so that this will not factor in as much? Honest question.

I think the near term "plan" is that most people will do the majority of their charging at home. You'll see the electric charging stations clustered around major highways and shopping/entertainment centers where people have stuff to do while they charge. If I had an electric car, I could easily go without charging anywhere but at home for the vast majority of the time. Rarely do I drive more than 30 miles in a day. Even when I'm driving for work it's usually no more than 120 miles in a day. I would gladly get a plug in hybrid right now except with prices being so crazy, it doesn't make sense, and even ignoring the overall sticker price of the new car, with how little I drive, I'm not even sure I could make paying the premium for a plug in hybrid over the equivalent ICE economic.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
[FONT=&quot]“What if one of every four times you went to the gas station, the pumps weren’t working?”

Obviously the writer hasn't tried to find gas in Memphis. [/FONT]

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What tax subsidies do you think oil companies get? Anything that's not generally available to all companies other than depletion accounting? I'm not saying they don't, I just never get an answer when I ask people.

I am generally against subsidies for anything other than low skilled labor and maybe crop insurance. That said, subsidies that at least produce something useful are preferable. Subsidies for fossil fuels and subsidies for utility scale solar and wind (provided they are production subsidies and not upfront) will generally result in useful assets. The solar and wind cause problems for grid reliability though when they are concentrated.

I’m far from an expert on the topic but I think generally one of the largest that opponents complain about is a tax subsidy for exploration.

Before you start a 10 page argument, I’m not really for or against any industry getting subsidies. I replied to a post about a guy stating he didn’t like the government taking his money to pay for someone’s green vehicle. I’m simply pointing out its not much different than the billions in subsidies given to oil companies. You can debate the need for a subsidy but it’s not a debate I care to have because I’m neither knowledgeable enough nor motivated enough to get knowledge enough on the subject.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

"Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil. European Union subsidies are estimated to total 55 billion euros annually."

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fa...-closer-look-at-tax-breaks-and-societal-costs

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The market will adjust and better charging options will emerge. Nothing to see here.
The new Chevy Silverado gets 400 miles to a charge. That is damn fantastic. The charge cost is $17 USD. Charging ports will be standardized with the Ford and Chevy joining the fray. In my opinion, that all needs to happen immediately.

You should pull up the articles discussing how hard it was to get fuel in 1904-1910 when the internal combustion engine started making the rounds. EV market will force the EV charging market to advance.

As a culture, we shouldn't be afraid of new systems that will make us a better society. We should welcome them and work to make them better.
My last 3 Silverado’s have all spent extensive time in the shop, 2 transmission issues and one brake assist issue. Also those batteries on the EV’s have to be disposed of.

irondog

Jan 20, 2020
Propaganda

"Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil. European Union subsidies are estimated to total 55 billion euros annually."

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fa...-closer-look-at-tax-breaks-and-societal-costs

Try to find a better source. Web sites that solicit donations to their environmental cause at the top of the page are highly likely to be biased.

The activists like to claim that normal capital investment tax incentives available to most all companies are subsidies when oil companies use them. They are not!
Actual subsidies are cash payments and regulations that require other companies to buy "environmental credits" from other companies.
For example, Tesla has made billions selling Fleet MPG credits to GM and Ford. It's a hidden tax on the price of gas powered cars and trucks to subsidize EV sales.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012

Big Oil ain’t getting any subsidies not tied to emissions reductions or price reductions. Even including that, I’m skeptical that they exist. Really need to define “subsidy.”

Tax breaks? Sure. We have codes that address that.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Didn't your congressman teach you that you have to spend money to make money?

Another thing, have you ever taken the time to see the difference in of the wealth for someone in Washington is before and after they've been in office?

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Some of you may remember that I mentioned that I bought a used 2017 Tesla Model S P100D from a private individual I found on eBay. That was almost exactly one year ago.

What the linked article at the beginning of this thread says about the Tesla charging network is accurate judging from my own experience. I do almost all of my charging at home since the nearest supercharger is 50 miles away. According to the Tesla app on my phone, as of today, I have spent $61 in the last 31 days on charging at home. You may recall that my car is a 2017 year model which has free supercharging for the life of the car (newer Teslas have to pay for supercharging) and that last 31 days included a trip to Biloxi and back (200 miles each way) which was the only time(s) I used a supercharger in that 31 days. My app says I used 655 kWh total of electricity for charging (including supercharging which is free to me) for all that driving (I don’t know how many total miles it was). Electricity at home costs me $0.13/kWh.

In the year of ownership I’ve had to wait for a supercharger to “come open” only twice - once for about 10 minutes in Houston and the other time for about 30-45 seconds in Chattanooga. I’ve never had a supercharger not work or stop working before it got to the charging limit I had set.

The Tesla supercharging network is extensive. I’ve never planned or taken a trip anywhere that was limited by the availability of superchargers.

Electric cars are not for everybody but I love mine. Disclaimer: I don’t sell Teslas our own any Tesla stock. I’m just providing information based personal experience.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
EV if you want, but I got 57.7 mpg in my hybrid Camry this week. It’s about 51 mpg on the highway. That’s a gallon from my house to the Dude and a gallon to get home. I still miss my F-150, but I don’t miss the gas pump.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You want to save the planet? The planet needs about ten generations of double digit negative birth rate. I don’t care what you do, there is too damn many people on this planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login