Former Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett died after drowning

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Saw a long post from one of my old Greenwood friends of the frightening experience they had last week down there involving life threatening resuce attempts for their children. Thank God all survived. We are only being told of the drownings but there's lots of that schit going on down there. Everytime I'm down there one of the first things I do is take a snorkel and mask and swim out to where it drops off but I'll sure use more caution the next time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was in OBA last week and three people drown counting the one Rocket mentioned in Fort Morgan. The rip currents were worse than I’ve ever seen. We were walking in the beach one morning and I was just walking parallel to the beach about calf deep and it just pulled me off my feet like you jerked a rug out from under me. I was close enough that I fell on dry sand luckily.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Been to Blue Mtn Beach 15 times or more and they are pretty strict about not letting anyone in the water At All on red flag days but I guess they can’t watch and police everyone from being stupid on days that are the most dangerous.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Here’s the problem as I see it in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. I’ve never seen a green flag. They occasionally put up yellow flag. The red flag is normal and the double red is up so much that people ignore them. They scream wolf so much that people ignore them when there really is a wolf. That and the fact that so many mid westerners are down there who have no appreciation for how dangerous even a calm ocean can be.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Here’s the problem as I see it in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. I’ve never seen a green flag. They occasionally put up yellow flag. The red flag is normal and the double red is up so much that people ignore them. They scream wolf so much that people ignore them when there really is a wolf. That and the fact that so many mid westerners are down there who have no appreciation for how dangerous even a calm ocean can be.
There are plenty of green flag days. They just all are between October and April. During the summer, the wind is out of the south 90% of the time and that causes waves.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I was in OBA last week and three people drown counting the one Rocket mentioned in Fort Morgan. The rip currents were worse than I’ve ever seen. We were walking in the beach one morning and I was just walking parallel to the beach about calf deep and it just pulled me off my feet like you jerked a rug out from under me. I was close enough that I fell on dry sand luckily.
Yeah, but on a scale of Steve Erkel to Hadad, how fat and old are you?

• Haha
Reactions: biodawg and Fritz!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not just midwesterners. I'm pretty sure I've been a dubmass before and am lucky that nothing ever happened. We used to body surf in some pretty big waves and rough water. I think when we were younger we thought that if it wasn't double reds, we were good enough swimmers that we could handle it. Whenever we heard about drownings, I think we just assumed they were doing something more stupid than we were and/or that they were out of shape or not good swimmers.

Not sure when I finally got how stupid I was but may have been when I was at the beach one weekend where after the fact I think the newspaper said there were 47 rescues in Walton County and three drownings over a three day weekend. At waist deep, I basically could only hold my position if I leaned hard into the current and even then would slowly get pushed east along the beach. And of course at some point that current was going to go out to sea in a rip current. I think that is kind of what let it set in as to how 17ed I'd be in a rip current because even when I was in good shape, there's no telling how far out I'd get before I'd be able to swim out of the rip current.

Have been at the beach twice since then where there were drownings nearby. Once I unfortunately saw the parents and it haunts the **** out of me. Think my kids are going to stop wanting to go to the lake or beach with me because I basically never let them out of a life jacket unless we're in calm water with 10 feet of visibility.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've noticed the same thing in Destin and wondered they were afraid to put up a green or even yellow flag for fear of being sued if because they "misled" someone. I've come to take 1 red flag as meaning swim at your own risk 2 red flags to mean danger but I'm just guessing.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Here's a picture of PCB from last weekend, there's no way you can swim in that.
Screenshot_20230628_134504_Reddit.jpg

aspendawg

Sep 10, 2009
If I am with my family at the beach here in Texas I usually have my surfboard or SUP with me and my children wear life jackets. If I don't have my surfboard I carry a surfing lifejacket for myself in case I need to go in after someone. It's amazing to me how many people let their kids swim next to the jetties around here. Jetties are natural rip current catalysts. People overestimate their swimming capabilities and don't take into account how out of shape they are.

As far as flags go... no matter the color (red, yellow, purple) there are always rip currents and sharks around.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

A tribute to Mallett.
Double OT game in 2010.
Ballard fumbled the ball inside the 5 and it bounced through the EZ.
Loud game and lots of fun, even though we lost.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I believe this to be accurate. We went to Destin or OBA every year starting around 4th / 5th grade and I probably went 5-6 times in college and another 6-8 times since graduating. I’m about certain that the flag criteria has changed in the past 15-20 years. I’d consider the old green flag to now be the yellow flag, the old yellow flag to now be the red flag, and the old red flag to now be the double red flag. I don’t know that I’ve seen a green flag in a decade plus, and that includes several trips in April and October.

I know I’ve personally been swimming a bunch on red flag days in recent years, and probably 7 times out of 10 its been nothing crazy, but the other times its been a little sketch….which is what you’d expect from a yellow flag situation. Double red I don’t mess with unless I just have to pee. Its usually too rough to even enjoy yourself swimming.

I usually go off how many people are in the water and how far out they are when deciding about swimming….adjusting of course for how crowded the beach is based on both location and the time of year that I’m visiting.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
If that’s the case then the swim parallel to the beach until you get out of it ain’t working.
You’re worn out and panicked by then and you’re done.
Swim out of one and into another. 11 deaths in 7 days.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Really horrible. I understand the rip current wasn't detected, no warnings?? Anyone know for sure?
Nah, but I saw a body cam from a deputy that arrived and the water was very flat. Who knows. Drunk, cramp, cardiac....

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I believe this to be accurate. We went to Destin or OBA every year starting around 4th / 5th grade and I probably went 5-6 times in college and another 6-8 times since graduating. I’m about certain that the flag criteria has changed in the past 15-20 years. I’d consider the old green flag to now be the yellow flag, the old yellow flag to now be the red flag, and the old red flag to now be the double red flag. I don’t know that I’ve seen a green flag in a decade plus, and that includes several trips in April and October.

I know I’ve personally been swimming a bunch on red flag days in recent years, and probably 7 times out of 10 its been nothing crazy, but the other times its been a little sketch….which is what you’d expect from a yellow flag situation. Double red I don’t mess with unless I just have to pee. Its usually too rough to even enjoy yourself swimming.

I usually go off how many people are in the water and how far out they are when deciding about swimming….adjusting of course for how crowded the beach is based on both location and the time of year that I’m visiting.
I think part of the problem is that the conditions change throughout the day. Been plenty of days with red flags where there have been a couple of hours of what feels like relatively safe conditions and a couple of hours of what feels too dangerous to swim in. You swim when it's nice and go in before it gets rough and you wonder why they had the red flag out and think they're overly cautious.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Nah, but I saw a body cam from a deputy that arrived and the water was very flat. Who knows. Drunk, cramp, cardiac....
I saw those flat conditions, I'm guessing there may have been some trenches from the weekend that still had some current. It's weird but conditions change here quickly. I always carry some sort of float regardless of conditions as I've seen too many get caught in a bad current.

Luckily I swim like Michael Phelps. ***

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

It was green in Navarre today. I kayak and my wife paddle boards especially in the fall so we watch swellinfo a lot. When there is a light N wind it is almost always a green flag and there are probably 10-15 days in October-November that are like that.
ETA Okay I take it back. While Navarre has dozens of green flag days in the last 3 months Destin had none. I think you are 100% correct.

Attachments

• 918F8A46-7B29-44F2-8724-760D9E431764.jpeg
    918F8A46-7B29-44F2-8724-760D9E431764.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login