Former MSU WBB Coach Nikki McCray-Penson dies at 51...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
17 Cancer

We knew she had a really bad diagnosis when she resigned.

I don’t know if it’d have made a difference but I wish Cohen had convinced her to stick around the Athletics Department in another role if only to help with potential insurance issues.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
But then there's this:

"McCray-Penson told Knox News in 2022 that her previous cancer battle wasn’t related to her resignation and said it was because of mental and personal health concerns and the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic, which was "mentally draining" for herself, her staff and her players.
Is she going to tell a newspaper reporter while she’s in the midst of getting hired and in Rutgers insurance that she currently has cancer?

No, she’s not.

You’ll notice how she carefully worded her statement.

It’s not a “previous cancer battle.” She has “personal health concerns”

Reactions: Dawgg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Having survived cancer, I can tell you its not fun, most days it's hard to get out of bed due to chemo and radiation treatments. I'm sure she probably felt the same way when she was coaching here. Now we know why sorry to say.

Reactions: eckie1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Is she going to tell a newspaper reporter while she’s in the midst of getting hired and in Rutgers insurance that she currently has cancer?

No, she’s not.

You’ll notice how she carefully worded her statement.

It’s not a “previous cancer battle.” She has “personal health concern
That makes it sound like she lied about a previous existing condition in order to gain employment and insurance

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That makes it sound like she lied about a previous existing condition in order to gain employment and insurance

Nope. Reading is fundamental, my friend.

The article is a puff piece about a local hero. The reporter ain’t gonna follow up on what she said.

As long as NMP told the truth of her current condition to Rutgers and the insurance folks, she’s good as gold. She don’t have to be all TMI with Knoxnews.

RevWGL

May 24, 2020
Sadly, I've known too many people who knew they were dying of cancer. There are a couple of things I know: 1) No one reacts the same way. Some fought all the way. Some went on a bucket list trip. And I've known some who chose to go to work every day until they couldn't. 2) Almost no one, no matter how public their position, is going to discuss the fine details of their health issues beyond their family, doctor, and maybe employer. Some don't even go that far (thinking they are "protecting" their families). But no one is telling everything to the media. I've got friends right now who share a lot of their cancer fight on social media, but even they aren't sharing everything.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Sadly, I've known too many people who knew they were dying of cancer. There are a couple of things I know: 1) No one reacts the same way. Some fought all the way. Some went on a bucket list trip. And I've known some who chose to go to work every day until they couldn't. 2) Almost no one, no matter how public their position, is going to discuss the fine details of their health issues beyond their family, doctor, and maybe employer. Some don't even go that far (thinking they are "protecting" their families). But no one is telling everything to the media. I've got friends right now who share a lot of their cancer fight on social media, but even they aren't sharing everything.
People can do or share whatever they want.

It’s none of my business or anyone else’s business what’s going on in their life unless they choose to let me know.

Obviously there are a few public jobs where this doesn’t apply. Even then if they wanna fight it and can handle the job without telling me their personal business, I’m ok with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

No need to lie about pre-existing conditions or cancer to get health insurance. I had a sibling with cancer get better coverage and rate with BCBS through the Insurance Marketplace than I have through an employer health insurance provider.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007-the oncologist told us that there were like 60 different forms of breast cancer at the time, and that the one she had was like the second-most lethal one. She had a choice of a lumpectomy with chemo/radiation or a complete mastectomy with chemo at the time. She opted for the total mastectomy with chemo at that moment. They took her left breast along with at least a dozen lymph nodes at the time and they found nothing in the lymph nodes that were cancerous. She had reconstruction along with the surgery and, by the grace of God has had no further issues as of now-16 years later. It is my understanding that a lot of women opt to try to save the breast by opting for the chemo-radiation lumpectomy when they are diagnosed. My wife opted for the radical mastectomy at the time and I am convinced that she made the right choice. A lot of women don’t want the mastectomy in an attempt to save the breast when they are diagnosed-I am happy that my wife went with the mastectomy and the reconstruction that followed. She is still here all these years later. My prayers go out with Nikki’s family and friends at this time bevause I can empathize with what they have been going through for all these years

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Sad to hear this. She was a Bulldog. I hope STATE does some nice things for her family. Let's remember her well.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Very sad for her family and for what she obviously went through.

Life is a battle and then we all die. It's a joy and a struggle.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Nah. Regardless of the cancer she was a very $hitty basketball coach. RIP.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login