Former players NIL contributions

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
We all know that overall our fanbase doesn't have the financial firepower of our rivals. But so often I see the stat referenced that MSU athletes have made a combined $600+ million or whatever from NFL contracts.

Has there been a push for Dak, Chris Jones, Simmons, Fletcher, etc to contribute to the Bulldog Initiative? You would think that former players making big time NFL money would much more likely to donate than the average rich alum. And even if not NIL specifically, but donate to Bulldog Club or MSU Foundation. Just seems to me like a major potential untapped market.

Probably not realistic, but I would love to see some sort of promoted fundraising effort where former players pledge a small percentage of their NFL earnings to the University/NIL. Similar to the Common Goal (link) that some notable soccer players take part in.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dak has, significantly. And I think maybe Simmons, but I'm not sure. But the rest, not so much. Many of them think we owe them (no idea how they develop that sick mentality).

But I agree, I've been pushing for a lobbying committee of some sort to get these guys involved and to give back. This is some of the 'innovation' I speak of regularly.

Reactions: StateCollege

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
The Bulldog Initiative also recently hired Marcus Grant to focus on "athlete relations, community engagement, and fundraising."

I'm sure he'll be heavily involved in working with former athletes as well.

Reactions: MStateDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Bulldog Initiative also recently hired Marcus Grant to focus on "athlete relations, community engagement, and fundraising."

I'm sure he'll be heavily involved in working with former athletes as well.
Not to be repetitive, but wouldn't that position be better served under the AD? For a variety of reasons.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Not to be repetitive, but wouldn't that position be better served under the AD? For a variety of reasons.
Not when the NIL collective is supposed to be separate from the University. If you want former players to contribute the Bulldog Club or the Athletic Department in general, then yes. If you're fundraising specifically for the BI, then he can't be an athletic department employee.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not when the NIL collective is supposed to be separate from the University. If you want former players to contribute the Bulldog Club or the Athletic Department in general, then yes. If you're fundraising specifically for the BI, then he can't be an athletic department employee.
Wait - ya'll bashed Cohen forever about not handling NIL. Now you're telling me the AD can't do it? Make up your minds.

Obviously we all know the legality. But a guy like Grant in the AD could help multiple collectives, through 'outreach' or whatever. He can refer people to collectives in a round-about way. The collectives themselves put the money to work.

Selmon's whole role is NIL. Let's not be intentionally ignorant here.

Reactions: Dawg84

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"Now... let me get this straight... I played here... for free... now, you want me to pay for other people to play here?"
This.
I’d like to see the look on the face of a former QB who gets asked to donate a wad of cash, yet he somehow vaguely remembers how he was benched for getting tires on his GD car.
As opposed to asking people who paid to go to college to pay? Nobody likes this system, whether it's a former player or alumni.

I will say again, this is a rich man's game. If you have rich boosters with FU money, you'll be fine. And I think when people talk about former players, they are talking about players who have made big money in the NFL. Asking a bunch of middle class people to donate $25 a month is not the answer.

The guys who paid players before (willingly) - are who should be called on to pay players now. If we want to all fight over it, well, we will just suck. That said - the rest of us have a roll - go to games, buy and wear merch, whatever. I will say that if you live out of state and never come to games, sure, consider giving some money, somewhere. If you don't like NIL, give it to the BC.

Reactions: CEO2044

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
We all know that overall our fanbase doesn't have the financial firepower of our rivals. But so often I see the stat referenced that MSU athletes have made a combined $600+ million or whatever from NFL contracts.

Has there been a push for Dak, Chris Jones, Simmons, Fletcher, etc to contribute to the Bulldog Initiative? You would think that former players making big time NFL money would much more likely to donate than the average rich alum. And even if not NIL specifically, but donate to Bulldog Club or MSU Foundation. Just seems to me like a major potential untapped market.

Probably not realistic, but I would love to see some sort of promoted fundraising effort where former players pledge a small percentage of their NFL earnings to the University/NIL. Similar to the Common Goal (link) that some notable soccer players take part in.
Oh Man No GIF by Elnaz  Abbasi

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Dak has, significantly. And I think maybe Simmons, but I'm not sure. But the rest, not so much. Many of them think we owe them (no idea how they develop that sick mentality).

But I agree, I've been pushing for a lobbying committee of some sort to get these guys involved and to give back. This is some of the 'innovation' I speak of regularly.
Is this sense of entitlement that you reference documented anywhere or are you - as you accuse others of being - FOS?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
As opposed to asking people who paid to go to college to pay? Nobody likes this system, whether it's a former player or alumni.

I will say again, this is a rich man's game. Asking a bunch of middle class people to donate $25 a month is not the answer.
How working-class-folksy and philanthropic of you to post this after your gnashing-of-teeth-BS outrage thread on capital gains tax

So, you want the rich NFL players to fund NIL, and feel middle class fans and former players should get a pass; yet you want homeowners who took on debt, maintenance, taxes, and countless other risks for 30 years or more to be taxed like they beat the blackjack dealer?

Always wondered what the love child of Bernie Sanders and Obama would look like.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
MSU wasnt going to compete for a national championship if NIL didn't exist.
MSU isn't going to compete for a national championship now that NIL exists.

If random fans want to spend hundreds to help fund some NIL collective, have at it. Everyone needs a hobby.
But the goofiest thing that could happen is for common MSU fans to think their contributions will make a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Businesses and wealthy high impact donors are what would move the needle...if it could be moved.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
MSU wasnt going to compete for a national championship if NIL didn't exist.
MSU isn't going to compete for a national championship now that NIL exists.

If random fans want to spend hundreds to help fund some NIL collective, have at it. Everyone needs a hobby.
But the goofiest thing that could happen is for common MSU fans to think their contributions will make a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Businesses and wealthy high impact donors are what would move the needle...if it could be moved.
colin jost snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Your butt buddy @T-TownDawgg just said that all us middle class folks should be expected to help out. And you agreed. So I guess you're just an idiot?
That's not what I said at all.
Unlike you, I don't have all the answers.

I can only speak for me, but my opinion is whatever goat economic category one falls into, the institutions and conferences should fund NIL slush funds with their TV windfall. I will not donate a dime, and these entities asking for handouts from fans and alumni like a hobo is insulting to me.

I simply used your own words to indict you on your ridiculous hypocrisy. It's conspicuous that you don't want to touch the tax issue you were so passionate about.

You are a joke, a troll, a genius in your own mind, and my take is you are an intolerable coward, because if you spoke to real people the way you post, you couldn't type the breathlessly wordy posts you subject us to because all your fingers would be broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: CEO2044

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I simply used your own words to indict you on your ridiculous hypocrisy. It's conspicuous that you don't want to touch the tax issue you were so passionate about.
I started an 8-page thread on that tax issue that you say I do not want to touch. I figured it was a dead issue, but I'll indulge you. I also think that getting that much appreciation on your house, that you have to pay taxes, is a good problem to have. So don't bltch about it. There's nothing inconsistent here at all, and these two areas aren't really related in any way.

Reactions: stateu1

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I started an 8-page thread on that tax issue that you say I do not want to touch. I figured it was a dead issue, but I'll indulge you. I also think that getting that much appreciation on your house, that you have to pay taxes, is a good problem to have. So don't bltch about it. There's nothing inconsistent here at all, and these two areas aren't really related in any way.
Allow me to make the connect the dots for you.
You went on and on how people whose houses appreciate should pay 15% on something they already pay property tax on every year.
Then, you say the rich alumni athletes should foot most of the NIL fund, with which working folk should not burdened with.

The connection is the hypocrisy with which you arbitrarily assign economic culpability to people whose circumstances you have obviously never experienced first hand. The fact you can’t see this connection makes you either stupid, a narcissist, or both.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And yet, this forum has been flooded over and over, thread upon thread, with comments telling everyone to do their part and pay up or else MSU will fall further behind.
So...if it was obvious of me to say it doesnt matter, what do you have to say about the countless threads and posts that claim we need to do our part as fans?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
And yet, this forum has been flooded over and over, thread upon thread, with comments telling everyone to do their part and pay up or else MSU will fall further behind.
So...if it was obvious of me to say it doesnt matter, what do you have to say about the countless threads and posts that claim we need to do our part as fans?
I’ll bite.
I don’t care who or what thread said what.

I find anyone who says “as a fan, you should do your part in NIL” to be insulting. It insinuates that you have done absolutely nothing up to this point without knowing how much someone has invested in MSU during their lifetime.

The players didn’t like the rules, so they and their lawyers have weaponized opt outs, transfer portals, and commitment flipping to their advantage. So the rules got changed for the worse, and now many of us don’t like the those rules. I think turnabout is fair play and decided to opt out. And that makes me the deadbeat traitor?

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Allow me to make the connect the dots for you.
You went on and on how people whose houses appreciate should pay 15% on something they already pay property tax on every year.
Then, you say the rich alumni athletes should foot most of the NIL fund, with which working folk should not burdened with.

The connection is the hypocrisy with which you arbitrarily assign economic culpability to people whose circumstances you have obviously never experienced first hand. The fact you can’t see this connection makes you either stupid, a narcissist, or both.
Not just appreciate, but appreciate over 500K. Property tax is different from capital gains tax. And no, I don't know much about being a rich athlete or a homeowner who's house appreciated 1.5M, but I'm pretty sure it would be pretty cool.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’ll bite.
I don’t care who or what thread said what.

I find anyone who says “as a fan, you should do your part in NIL” to be insulting. It insinuates that you have done absolutely nothing up to this point without knowing how much someone has invested in MSU during their lifetime.

The players didn’t like the rules, so they and their lawyers have weaponized opt outs, transfer portals, and commitment flipping to their advantage. So the rules got changed for the worse, and now many of us don’t like the those rules. I think turnabout is fair play and decided to opt out. And that makes me the deadbeat traitor?
You're such a moron. You actually agree with him. Maybe you should care who or what thread said wait, before you chime in.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
You're such a moron. You actually agree with him. Maybe you should care who or what thread said wait, before you chime in.
I didn’t say I disagreed with him . I simply dislike how he likes to cloak his opinions with straw man posts like that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I didn’t say I disagreed with him . I simply dislike how he likes to cloak his opinions with straw man posts like that.
Wait what? I cloaked my opinion with a straw man post? When did I do that?
I didnt think my opinion was cloaked and didnt think a straw man argument was created.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Do we know any other schools where NFL alumni are making a big impact in their NIL collective ? I'm not talking about a player or two here and there. I

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Everytime I read something on this board about NIL I just realize how 17ed we are. If we are looking at former athletes like they should be the new cigar boys, we should just move to the G5.

Schools like Texas and Michigan have thousands of high net worth alumni... Many that like to give to athletics. Pretty sure Michigan's alumni cigar boy class is closing in on $1 trillion in net worth. Texas has 3500 alumni with more than $30 million in net worth, including 10 billionaires....

We out here trying to pry Dak's hands of that sleep number money...

We are 17ed.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you think current NFL players aren't doing enough....Do any of you actually think that any of these current play for pay college players are actually going to have any allegiance AT ALL for their school or it's fans after they're through playing ?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If you think current NFL players aren't doing enough....Do any of you actually think that any of these current play for pay college players are actually going to have any allegiance AT ALL for their school or it's fans after they're through playing ?
Very true.
When a player is at 2 to 4 universities thru their time in college(between D1 and JUCO shuffling), how much allegiance will many even feel towards a university they happened to play at for 1 or maybe 2 seasons?

Some on here lose their minds when ex-MSU players dont say they played at MSU during the NFL introductions...those posters need to be on watch during the coming years because they wont be able to handle if someone that played at MSU has the gall to name the other university they played at. Whooboy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login