Free State of Florida banged again..........

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
The way schools have bastardized NIL is incredible. If I'm not mistaken, it was set up so a player could do a commercial for the local car dealer or restaurant. Somehow that got contorted to players getting paid for nothing as it's become a signing bonus. And I don't think Pandora's box can ever be closed because the players will scream racism or some other BS and everybody will cave.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Are we still giving these rich folks free educations? And, even deeper, why do we insist they go to class and make passing grades.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
1) The players images and names were used by the schools on posters, and advertisements and flyers and promoting the school and its football program to get ticket sales and merch sales. They wanted their cut.
2) The players names and likeness were used in Video games and magazines and blogs and Instagram and tv commercials to make money for various businesses and content creators as well as promote NCAA athletics. They wanted their cut.
3)The players names and assigned numbers were on jerseys being promoted and sold by affiliated and non-affiliated outlets and they wanted their cut.
4) The Universities were making huge amounts of money from the 2 primary sports from TV deals and ticket sales and they wanted their cut.
5) Coaches were getting paid ridiculous salaries to win but couldn't win without the right players and those players wanted their cut.

It then became a Genie & Bottle thing. A toothpaste and tube thing. A running body of water and bridge thing.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
1) The players images and names were used by the schools on posters, and advertisements and flyers and promoting the school and its football program to get ticket sales and merch sales. They wanted their cut.
2) The players names and likeness were used in Video games and magazines and blogs and Instagram and tv commercials to make money for various businesses and content creators as well as promote NCAA athletics. They wanted their cut.
3)The players names and assigned numbers were on jerseys being promoted and sold by affiliated and non-affiliated outlets and they wanted their cut.
4) The Universities were making huge amounts of money from the 2 primary sports from TV deals and ticket sales and they wanted their cut.
5) Coaches were getting paid ridiculous salaries to win but couldn't win without the right players and those players wanted their cut.

It then became a Genie & Bottle thing. A toothpaste and tube thing. A running body of water and bridge thing.
Let's hope it doesn't become a kill the golden goose thing

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Players who are not college material should only get a "Certificate" of completion of some vocation training. Let them play 4 years if they want, but work toward learning a skill that can later be useful in life like electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.........but NO degree......only a 4 year certificate for the trade skill they learned. I'd say a large proportion of football and basketball players are not college material.......and some who are, don't want to be.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Players who are not college material should only get a "Certificate" of completion of some vocation training. Let them play 4 years if they want, but work toward learning a skill that can later be useful in life like electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.........but NO degree......only a 4 year certificate for the trade skill they learned. I'd say a large proportion of football and basketball players are not college material.......and some who are, don't want to be.
2 year technical program like you get in juco combined with 2 years worth of basic personal and business financial management skills would be a great combo.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Wah 😫 the players!

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

They didn’t want their cut. The vast majority of them were already getting more than their fair share. They were minor league athletes and were compensated pretty well for that. Much better off than minor league baseball players that weren’t paid a ton to secure long term rights if they make the big leagues. Better than arena league football players.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The way schools have bastardized NIL is incredible. If I'm not mistaken, it was set up so a player could do a commercial for the local car dealer or restaurant. Somehow that got contorted to players getting paid for nothing as it's become a signing bonus. And I don't think Pandora's box can ever be closed because the players will scream racism or some other BS and everybody will cave.
Who couldn’t see this mess coming? I don’t think anyone is surprised by how this turned out. Disgusted yes, surprised no.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I like how people totally dismiss the free education, housing and stipends. Plus the best training in the world to prepare for opportunities to play pro sports.

Yeah.... all that means nothing and is worth zero****
THIS ALL DAY ^^^^
85 scholarship players ( student athletes- HAHA) were getting something basically for free that would have cost the average student over $100,000 for 4-5 years.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’d be willing to be about 2/3 of the “college material” non athletes who enroll every fall don’t have the technical or reading skills to pass the electrical or plumbing tests.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I like how people totally dismiss the free education, housing and stipends. Plus the best training in the world to prepare for opportunities to play pro sports.

Anyone here want to tell their employer forget my salary. I want you to give me some really good training I might be able to use 4 or 5 years from now, a dorm room, and a meal plan in the cafeteria?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I don't really care about any of this. Those players also got a free education, healthcare, housing, food, and a platform and opportunity to showcase their skills for the next level. They got access to world class facilities and elite coaching. They got unlimited athletic gear. They got access to world class strength, conditioning, and nutrition programs.

The money involved in football from media deals is ludicrous. But to paint the players as victims because they weren't "getting their cut" is disingenuous.

And to piggy back on your metaphors, now the shlt is out of the horse. It's all downhill from here.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Anyone here want to tell their employer forget my salary. I want you to give me some really good training I might be able to use 4 or 5 years from now, a dorm room, and a meal plan in the cafeteria?
Is your insinuation that Mississippi State is the employer of the students who play sports here? That is the dumbest 17n thing ever said on this message board.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Anyone here who, as a 17 or 18-yr-old coming out of high school, good enough to get a scholarship so that you get all that free education that would help you get a career if football doesn't work out, room & board, all the poon-tang you can handle and training & facilities on a platform that will get you exposure to NFL scouts with a chance to become a multi-millionaire as soon as you graduate, would turn that down or think you were getting ripped off?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
True, but I think that is temporary. In time, the market will adjust like any other market - the terms and conditions will get tighter and "free money" will not be as available.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see more stringent clauses be used to the detriment of the athletes. Further proof that the NCAA was completely derelict in its duty.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Anyone here who, as a 17 or 18-yr-old coming out of high school, good enough to get a scholarship so that you get all that free education that would help you get a career if football doesn't work out, room & board, all the poon-tang you can handle and training & facilities on a platform that will get you exposure to NFL scouts with a chance to become a multi-millionaire as soon as you graduate, would turn that down or think you were getting ripped off?
Yes, if my teammate in high school told me he was getting all that plus a new car, an apartment, and $250,000 to play at Alabama. I would look for that deal before signing for just a full ride at a university.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Guess broken record time, again.

The student-athlete is the only person at a university that is forced to study something other than what their desired career choices is. I will admit that a fair percentage of them don't expect to continue in sports and are there for the pure reason of learning another career path. However, a good percentage do have professional sports as the desired goal and the university should provide all the training for their chosen path as they do for every other student at the university.

The student-athlete was the only person at a university that was limited in earning additional income. I think when I played and was only getting a 40 percent scholarship, it was $3000 per year. Now teammates were married with children, paying for most of their education and were not allowed to earn a living wage. No other scholarship receiving student was not allowed by rules to earn money.

In just football, which is actually what is being discussed in this post and are full scholarships, those student athletes in my lifetime have gone from putting their future health on the line in up to 11 games are to now up to 17 games in a season. The reason is so the schools can make so much more money. The compensation for the student-athlete has stayed the same.

The schools then used the popularity of the student-athlete in peripheral ways to earn even more money and then by their rules still prevented them from going on their own to earn money. If you want to take the seedy side of they were being paid under the table then, well to then that was an example of "you make rules that you don't follow, so why should I follow your rules?".

Most student-athletes are not living the life that is being portrayed by many of these comments. The rules they make for the few who cause the university to break their own rules are the problem. They make these rules to try to keep a level playing field, but the field was never level and never can be when competition is involved. So stop blaming players. They did not setup this cluster<17>. They are just playing the game setup because the schools can't follow their own rules.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
The University is not making millions of dollars off any other student. It’s not hard to understand. There is a handful of students that bring money to the university and for years the students didn’t get a cut. Guy plays trumpet in the band he could go home and give trumpet lessons and get paid. Another student couldn’t go home and give private baseball lessons and get paid.
they can now.
wahhhh people are getting paid for a God given skill.
why y’all hate capitalism?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The student-athlete is the only person at a university that is forced to study something other than what their desired career choices is. I will admit that a fair percentage of them don't expect to continue in sports and are there for the pure reason of learning another career path. However, a good percentage do have professional sports as the desired goal and the university should provide all the training for their chosen path as they do for every other student at the university.
This is a big issue for all college athletes, especially the smaller sports. Those coaches take advantage of them there as well. Steer them into kinesiology, etc. That's why we now have a whole economy of fitness out there now.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The University is not making millions of dollars off any other student. It’s not hard to understand. There is a handful of students that bring money to the university and for years the students didn’t get a cut. Guy plays trumpet in the band he could go home and give trumpet lessons and get paid. Another student couldn’t go home and give private baseball lessons and get paid.
they can now.
wahhhh people are getting paid for a God given skill.
why y’all hate capitalism?
Stop making this argument. Nobody is bltching about capitalism or players making some money. Do you see anybody here that thinks the NFL is bad? Of course not, so STFU with your woke diatribe. Nobody also cares about true NIL, I don't think you'll find a single person who cares if Will Rogers does a car commercial.

There's a difference in NFL and college. They aren't 'employees' and never have been. The fans support the school more than the player. The players willingly choose and school and go and play. So 17 the 'they deserve money because of TV' stuff.

The reason any of them get anything now is because boosters want to win, NOT because the school needs them. School is getting paid anyway. If all the boosters in the country banded together, players would be out of luck, and most fans would give no shlts, we'd still watch our team. But that won't happen due to alpha bro competition. So let's not get this twisted.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
This is a big issue for all college athletes, especially the smaller sports. Those coaches take advantage of them there as well. Steer them into kinesiology, etc. That's why we now have a whole economy of fitness out there now.
If a "student athlete" can be "steered" into a curriculum (that they don't want to be in) by a coach for the coach's and team's sake then they should have never been in college in the first place. It's time to stop letting "the tail wag the dog".

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
True, but I think that is temporary. In time, the market will adjust like any other market - the terms and conditions will get tighter and "free money" will not be as available.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see more stringent clauses be used to the detriment of the athletes. Further proof that the NCAA was completely derelict in its duty.
The big money guys will learn after a few more season of guys taking the money and run that they are just wasting money. It will stop. Look at A&M after that number one class they bought in 2022. Then many of them transferred. They finished 14th in 2023 and 24th 2024. They learned really fast.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If a "student athlete" can be "steered" into a curriculum (that they don't want to be in) by a coach for the coach's and team's sake then they should have never been in college in the first place. It's time to stop letting "the tail wag the dog".
It's not steered its forced. If your choice of career is to play Professional Baseball and for whatever reason you don't get drafted out of High School a path to that career is to play college baseball. The schools know this and they recruit players on those previous players that have been through the program and made a career in that sport. However because of the charade they talk about all these other curriculums that you are forced to pick from to be able to play Baseball there. There is no Baseball or sports degree. Yes there are great facilities and coaching but you have to waste 20 hours a week studying something you don't want to. If they would just drop the charade and create a curriculum for professional sports and prepare each person, as every other student in that school, for the career of the students choice it would be better. I should have full access to those facilities and coaching full time. There can be plenty of courses outside the act of playing baseball, such as communications, marketing, contract law, financial studies, foreign language, media that can make up such a curriculum to fully prepare the student for their career. On the backside of that the school has a good chance of payback by making these students successful in the career of their choice. How many of my ex teammates, along with other student-athletes, have given back to the place that helped them achieve their success. Schools all over this country have buildings, fields, libraries, departments, facilities named after an alumnus from all the careers they teach. At State we have places with ex players names on some of those things. Just treat professional sports as any other career for which you prepare students.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"There can be plenty of courses outside the act of playing baseball, such as communications, marketing, contract law, financial studies, foreign language, media that can make up such a curriculum to fully prepare the student for their career.'

So what's to keep student athletes from taking these courses now ?

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
****, I'd have done it for the room, board, tuition, and poon-tang.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
It's not steered its forced. If your choice of career is to play Professional Baseball and for whatever reason you don't get drafted out of High School a path to that career is to play college baseball. The schools know this and they recruit players on those previous players that have been through the program and made a career in that sport. However because of the charade they talk about all these other curriculums that you are forced to pick from to be able to play Baseball there. There is no Baseball or sports degree. Yes there are great facilities and coaching but you have to waste 20 hours a week studying something you don't want to. If they would just drop the charade and create a curriculum for professional sports and prepare each person, as every other student in that school, for the career of the students choice it would be better. I should have full access to those facilities and coaching full time. There can be plenty of courses outside the act of playing baseball, such as communications, marketing, contract law, financial studies, foreign language, media that can make up such a curriculum to fully prepare the student for their career. On the backside of that the school has a good chance of payback by making these students successful in the career of their choice. How many of my ex teammates, along with other student-athletes, have given back to the place that helped them achieve their success. Schools all over this country have buildings, fields, libraries, departments, facilities named after an alumnus from all the careers they teach. At State we have places with ex players names on some of those things. Just treat professional sports as any other career for which you prepare students.
Why should there be a degree path where over 90% of the participants fail at actually fulfilling that career? Did you ever think that making the players attend classes is trying to prepare them for life because their minds are too clouded with the idea that they’re gonna get rich playing a game?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
For me, it's just another chapter in the death of amateurism. I've just accepted it.

The rich will just get richer.

famous robin leach GIF

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Why should there be a degree path where over 90% of the participants fail at actually fulfilling that career? Did you ever think that making the players attend classes is trying to prepare them for life because their minds are too clouded with the idea that they’re gonna get rich playing a game?
Again let's treat them different than any other student. What percentage of acting students succeed in Hollywood? What percentage of music majors become famous performers or composers? What percentage of art majors sell major works of art? Who the <17> are you to tell others what path they should take because something is hard?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

This isnt being totally dismissed, at least not by most people.
They are just able to recognize that many student athletes think their value is higher than what an athletic scholarship offers them.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Stop making this argument. Nobody is bltching about capitalism or players making some money. Do you see anybody here that thinks the NFL is bad? Of course not, so STFU with your woke diatribe.
Wait, the comment you responded to are woke?
Damn, I can't keep up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login