From the Archives - Darryl Wilson

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
Found a copy of this story that I wrote about Darryl Wilson when I was a student worker in the MSU athletic department in the mid 90s. It originally ran in one of the basketball gameday programs during the 1995-96 Final Four season. It's a bit rough around the edges (I had to resist the urge to re-edit it) but I thought I'd share in case anyone else would enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Found a copy of this story that I wrote about Darryl Wilson when I was a student worker in the MSU athletic department in the mid 90s. It originally ran in one of the basketball gameday programs during the 1995-96 Final Four season. It's a bit rough around the edges (I had to resist the urge to re-edit it) but I thought I'd share in case anyone else would enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Thanks for posting! Always great to remember the golden age of MSU basketball. Let's hope we are seeing a resurgence!

Reactions: PRAVan1996

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
It was great times and I was lucky enough to literally have a front row seat for a few years. I wrote several other stories back then - I remember doing one on Erick Dampier, too. If I can get them transcribed and posted online, I'll share them here for anyone who's interested.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I was an undergrad at that time - my roommate was a grad student in Bio and Dampier was in a lab he was teaching and came by our house to get some material (apparently he was a pretty good student). I've never been that close to a 7-foot tall person before or since, made me feel like I was about 5 years old. And I'm six foot.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Great Post and thanks for the fond memories However I didn't think it was "rough around the edges" but then again, I failed the English Portion of the ACT.
Oh, and does anybody know what Darryl's up to these days? And what kept him from the next level after STATE?

Last edited:
Reactions: PRAVan1996

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Great Post and thanks for the fond memories However I didn't think it was "rough around the edges" but then again, I failed the English Portion of the ACT.
Oh, and does anybody know what Darryl's up to these days? And what kept him from the next level after STATE?
He is HC at Itawamba AHS.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal
Jan 31, 2012
I was an undergrad at that time - my roommate was a grad student in Bio and Dampier was in a lab he was teaching and came by our house to get some material (apparently he was a pretty good student). I've never been that close to a 7-foot tall person before or since, made me feel like I was about 5 years old. And I'm six foot.
I stood behind Dampier in line at the Union Wendy's one day. I am only 5' 7" so he looked like a giant to me. Seemed like a nice guy though.

PRAVan1996

Mar 7, 2023
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

Found the Dampier story and a couple of others - one on the seniors that year (Darryl, Bubba Wilson, Jay Walton and Russell Walters) and one on the newcomers (Dontae Jones, Bart Hyche, Early Smith and Tyrone Washington). I also wrote a story on the sophomores on the 1996 baseball team (DuBose, Piatt, Freeman, etc...) that had been the No. 1 recruiting class a couple of years before.

Like the Darryl Wilson story, none of them were ever in danger of winning a Pulitzer, but in re-reading them, I enjoyed reliving some of my college days.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login