Frosh HR record holder Tommy White is in the Portal...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]TRANSFER UPDATE: @NCStateBaseball freshman sensation slugger Tommy White, who set the NCAA record for home runs in a single season by a freshman, has entered the transfer portal this morning. Wow.— Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) June 2, 2022 [/FONT]

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I was wondering if he was just going 100% homers/launch angle and had a bad batting average, but he hit .362. Would be great to get this guy

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Per Rogers he's headed back home most likely so I'd except FSU, Miami and UF to be the main suitors

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Their baseball team is really paying the karmic price for that 2021 Women's Cross Country National Championship.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody Is Loyal
On either side. Seriously, the NIL in combination with the liberalized transfer rules are going to kill college sports for all but the elite. Back when this was proposed, several of us posted the example of the next Dak Prescott transferring to the highest bidder and were told that was ridiculous and would never happen. I think it's pretty obvious now that it absolutely will happen.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
  • Tommy White 27 home runs
  • Hunter Hines 16 home runs
  • Bulldog Bruce 29 home runs

Moral of the stats is that Tommy is no Bulldog Bruce.

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
Maybe not completely OT, but if we assume that State isn't really able to compete in the NIL environment in Football and Basketball, doesn't it make sense that we would put all of our NIL money into baseball since other schools probably aren't willing to do that and be the best at that? With limited resources doesn't it make sense to maximize impact and especially doing it for a sport most schools don't make a priority?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Man, when Billy Napier mentioned the athletes getting a cut of the $44M SEC Network TV revenue.... now that is a game changer.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Agreed. Baseball must be our priority. Followed by Basketball, Women's Basketball, women's softball, Golf, Tennis, Volleyball. Let Leach win as many games as his scheme will allow and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to football. We damn sure can't compete there with NIL

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
One thing to remember is the teams with more money than us will also be paying through the nose for players we would never get regardless of NIL. A report today says top flight qbs will be $2 million while OTs may be $1 million. We just need to be smart about it. But make no mistake, give to the Bulldog Initiative. It is important.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There has to be some type of control the colleges should have. It's free agency without any type of contractual obligation.

Why? I don't give my employer the right to keep me there. Why shouldn't amateur athletes get to pick their school? Sure, it reduces the incentive for schools to look for diamonds in the rough under the old ways. Adapt.

But my suggestion would be you don't get NLI money until during your second consecutive year at the school. That, and tie scholarships to 4 year commitments if desired, like the military academies do, and require reimbursement if they bolt to greener pastures.

ScreenCaptureThis

Nov 6, 2015
Why? I don't give my employer the right to keep me there. Why shouldn't amateur athletes get to pick their school? Sure, it reduces the incentive for schools to look for diamonds in the rough under the old ways. Adapt.

But my suggestion would be you don't get NLI money until during your second consecutive year at the school. That, and tie scholarships to 4 year commitments if desired, like the military academies do, and require reimbursement if they bolt to greener pastures.

I despise this take. The random engineer/accountant/etc gives virtually no statistically significant additional impact credence to a business in a short sample size; so comparing one random kid to a kid that has proven value in a small sample size that he can significantly impact the bottom line of an organization is stupid. Plain and simple.

It’s comparable to saying “well, he has a 3.1 at directional tech so he should create a completely new computational approach to life at IBM in comp stats.”

You’re getting a free benchmark, eval, and then some for an insanely reduced price while those companies/universities that can afford to pay can overbid as they see fit. The “free market” only exists when information and resources are readily and EQUALLY available to ALL.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Maybe not completely OT, but if we assume that State isn't really able to compete in the NIL environment in Football and Basketball, doesn't it make sense that we would put all of our NIL money into baseball since other schools probably aren't willing to do that and be the best at that? With limited resources doesn't it make sense to maximize impact and especially doing it for a sport most schools don't make a priority?

No, because baseball is at best a break even sport when it comes to $$$. Football pays the bills. We need to do all we can do there, at the expense of every other sport.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Let's get one thing straight, the NCAA and the schools have no say about NIL. They can't have scholarships tied to NIL. If a school tried something like that, there would be nobody to come to their school. The schools also can no longer collude with each other because of anti trust. There is only one way for them to get some say in the matter and that is collective bargaining with the student athletes. And no one is talking about that.

Last edited:

hoopsb4baseball

Mar 12, 2022
Oh yay let’s not get a better coach. I know what we should do. Let’s get a freshman from nc state to turn our 26-30 program around. Some of our fan base are so dumb they make the whole group look like the laughing stalk of college baseball. Stalk. 1.5 million a year to cross their arms, look like Humpty Dumpty, go watch top gun, and have the worst record in the conference.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

They can pick their school. Nothing is stopping them. But if the NIL is setting up more of a professional model - in a professional model - you are tied to your contract. There isn't a contract right now. And there's no penalty for leaving. It's the wild west.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Collective bargaining with caps for each school is

Where this headed along wit eliminating the NCAA and the creation of a super league of about 70 teams.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Oh yay let’s not get a better coach. I know what we should do. Let’s get a freshman from nc state to turn our 26-30 program around. Some of our fan base are so dumb they make the whole group look like the laughing stalk of college baseball. Stalk. 1.5 million a year to cross their arms, look like Humpty Dumpty, go watch top gun, and have the worst record in the conference.

View attachment 24526

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009

Not a good comparison, but even if it was, high-level employees have contracts with non-competes and/or signing bonuses that have to be paid back if you leave within a certain time. There are incentives to get people to stay.

Here, a guy can sign a deal, take the money and then move on to the next one. See: Ewers, Quinn.

But it's not a good comparison because in the sports world when people get paid there's ALWAYS a contract tied to an obligation. Not here though.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well many employers use Non Competes. Plus this isn’t an employer-employee relationship (yet). Its an entity that can create its own rules as long as they don’t violate law. And I’m not as dramatic as some but all of this is risking the interest in college sports.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I despise this take. The random engineer/accountant/etc gives virtually no statistically significant additional impact credence to a business in a short sample size; so comparing one random kid to a kid that has proven value in a small sample size that he can significantly impact the bottom line of an organization is stupid. Plain and simple.

It’s comparable to saying “well, he has a 3.1 at directional tech so he should create a completely new computational approach to life at IBM in comp stats.”

You’re getting a free benchmark, eval, and then some for an insanely reduced price while those companies/universities that can afford to pay can overbid as they see fit. The “free market” only exists when information and resources are readily and EQUALLY available to ALL.
Can you put this is layman's terms? I have no idea what you said, but I am interested in the take.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not a good comparison, but even if it was, high-level employees have contracts with non-competes and/or signing bonuses that have to be paid back if you leave within a certain time. There are incentives to get people to stay.

Here, a guy can sign a deal, take the money and then move on to the next one. See: Ewers, Quinn.

But it's not a good comparison because in the sports world when people get paid there's ALWAYS a contract tied to an obligation. Not here though.
I don't think you can have the actual schools involved, that renders the whole process moot. If a booster wants to buy a player under the table or via NIL, it's buyer beware. Always has been.

I don't think you really want what you state there.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
No, because baseball is at best a break even sport when it comes to $$$. Football pays the bills. We need to do all we can do there, at the expense of every other sport.
I understand you are looking at big picture financially. But I think Kenny was looking at putting emphasis on a sport that we can win and win at a high level. We can spend 80% of our entire athletics budget on football and still be between 8 and 12 in the league we are in. If you want equality in football, you need to create equity in budgeting. Set a cap for all teams to spend on each sport and you pay a huge fine if you go over it once. Lose scholarships if you go over it again. That will never happen, because the power schools do not want parity nor do the sports media. They want the Top teams to always be the Top Teams therefore they need the mediocre teams to be lambs to the Lions!

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

I don't think we should compare the "random" engineer (and I think you mean typical or median). We are talking about cream of the crop amateur athletes, so we should compare to cream of the crop engineers. And hell yes such engineers exert an outsized impact on the bottom line.

We should not forget that these are amateur athletes. They are students, who happen to play a sport on the side, as far as the university is concerned. And no student should be prohibited from transferring. Would you prohibit a MSU tech student who got a 4.0 and a transfer offer to MIT, would you prohibit him from transfering? The transfer prohibitions for athletes were always BS. People should be free to take their labor or their studies where they want. College athletics will just have to adapt to that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well many employers use Non Competes. Plus this isn’t an employer-employee relationship (yet). Its an entity that can create its own rules as long as they don’t violate law. And I’m not as dramatic as some but all of this is risking the interest in college sports.
No question about it. At least with NIL, you can still say it's 'boosters' or whatever that are buying the players, unless it's someone crazy like Johnny Football who can command national attention. When you start paying them as employees and it becomes pro, 17 it, I'm out. I'm only watching pro sports if it's the best of the best.

For college sports to succeed you need tribalism. Paying the players as employees kills that.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

I'm not versed on the details of NLI payment terms, but if schools are handing them out as pure signing bonuses, then that's on them for being dubmasses. Make it a 4 year deal paid monthly, tied to appearances, commercials, whatever. If they leave, the checks stop. If the player insists on 100% signing bonus, you knew what you were getting.

Non-competes are virtually worthless. They are there to stop employees from profiting off data or customers, not to stop employees from working somewhere else with their natural abilities. I don't think signing bonuses are significant streams of revenue for employees either.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I don't think you can have the actual schools involved, that renders the whole process moot. If a booster wants to buy a player under the table or via NIL, it's buyer beware. Always has been.

I don't think you really want what you state there.
It’s funny to think about the NIL being out in the open after they sign. Before a player could get money under the table from 5 schools, sign with one and they would keep it because nobody is going to throw their own program under the bus. Now that the deal can’t be done until after the player signs they would theoretically only get paid by the school they sign with.
The other thing is any pre-signing shenanigans are harder to track. If a school bought a family member a car before and the NCAA investigated it there is a possibility of a paper trail. Now if a booster talks to a player about a deal, the player signs, then gets the deal, the only proof of tampering is a verbal conversation.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I just down-voted you again. Something tells me I need to copy this to my clipboard for regular future use.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agreed. Baseball must be our priority in regards to NIL. Followed by Basketball, Women's Basketball, women's softball, Golf, Tennis, Volleyball. Let Leach win as many games as his scheme will allow and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to football. We damn sure can't compete there with NIL
Fixed this for you, just for clarity. You will have a bunch of goons saying "fOOtbAlL pays da BiLlS!!11". Well, we aren't saying it's not a priority on the field, just not win NIL. We're going to have to go the route of niche schemes, developmental players and transfer portal (from the elites, and the G5).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login