FSU had their chance to join the SEC in the 90's but Bowden balked at it.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I see no scenario where the SEC would invite Florida State, and presumably Clemson, to join the conference. I don't know how many votes you would need to approve another expansion, but there's no way State, Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, and South Carolina would go for it. Hell, they couldn't even pass a 9-game schedule because a handful of schools spoke out against it.

You had your chance FSU. Enjoy being an independent.

Florida State expected to soon start process of leaving ACC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again, we are stupid if we balk at them this time. Both of them. I don't understand your opinion at all.

That whole 'only have one program in the state' crap is 1991 thinking. We are going toward a 4-conference, 20-team (or thereabouts) Power 5 so we're going to end up taking somebody. If we want quality brands that create TV matchups, that is the pick. Great rivalries. Conducive to travel. Checks all the boxes. I'm not sitting here saying we should take Louisville or Oklahoma State. Or even Georgia Tech.

The last 2 spots are the ones that get the debate, and are the ones more based on population centers and ancillary factors. Is it North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami? Do we do something crazy like Arizona or Arizona State?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
They are going to bring their attitude of “pay me more than X school“ so I’m fine leaving them behind. ESPN is showing that the money here is limited (not agreeing to pay for 9th game yet…), so you know the next move will be for the big boys to say “pay me more”. Which will happen anyway, but no need for us to hasten it before 2035 when the contract is up….

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Any expansion (including the current one of Tex and Okla) is not going to be good for us.
Correct. Best scenario for us is a big FBS and a lot of conferences, where the SEC was one of the top ones (so we get that money and distinction). And the bowls were good for us, when they mattered. It was sort of like a playoff in that where you finished gave you status.

Going forward, the only good thing for us is the expanded playoff. A smaller FBS is not good for us.

Reactions: patdog

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Again, we are stupid if we balk at them this time. Both of them. I don't understand your opinion at all.

That whole 'only have one program in the state' crap is 1991 thinking. We are going toward a 4-conference, 20-team (or thereabouts) Power 5 so we're going to end up taking somebody. If we want quality brands that create TV matchups, that is the pick. Great rivalries. Conducive to travel. Checks all the boxes. I'm not sitting here saying we should take Louisville or Oklahoma State. Or even Georgia Tech.

The last 2 spots are the ones that get the debate, and are the ones more based on population centers and ancillary factors. Is it North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami? Do we do something crazy like Arizona or Arizona State?

goat understands the long game - we're headed for an AFL / NFL scenario

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Why I believe the SEC will ultimately take FSU & Clemson, regardless of if it can get UNC & UVA. It keeps the Big 10 out of our back yard.
yea b10 is headed for a "national" conference but it can never match the sec passion and ratings as long as we stay regionalized

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
yea b10 is headed for a "national" conference but it can never match the sec passion and ratings as long as we stay regionalized
I do think they could create kind of a traditional ‘Rose Bowl’ type niche. I mean that’s what they essentially are, a merger of the B1G and PAC. That’s why I don’t understand why they didn’t just wrap up that market with Stanford and Cal.

I just don’t see what they truly gain by going in the Southeast. I mean it could happen I guess, because it’s all about money. While I could see Clemson or UNC fitting up there, I have to believe they want to be in the SEC. I mean we have other AAU schools.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I do think they could create kind of a traditional ‘Rose Bowl’ type niche. I mean that’s what they essentially are, a merger of the B1G and PAC. That’s why I don’t understand why they didn’t just wrap up that market with Stanford and Cal.

I just don’t see what they truly gain by going in the Southeast. I mean it could happen I guess, because it’s all about money. While I could see Clemson or UNC fitting up there, I have to believe they want to be in the SEC. I mean we have other AAU schools.

sankey has been in discussions like any good owner would. i dont think taking fsu/clem is a defensive move. but once GOR is broken do you finish out the conference with uva and unc??

patdog

May 28, 2007
sankey has been in discussions like any good owner would. i dont think taking fsu/clem is a defensive move. but once GOR is broken do you finish out the conference with uva and unc??
If FSU is successful, SEC & Big 10 will be all over UNC & UVA. But I think both conferences would rather FSU fail to give them a few years to adjust to the schools they’re adding next year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They ACC days are numbered.
I don’t think so. Their days as a tier 1 conference are numbered, but they’ll still be a formidable peer to the Big 12.

Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, NC State, Duke, Louisville, SMU are the core. You know you will lose 6 of Stanford, Cal, Miami, Virginia, VTech, North Carolina, Clemson and FSU. That’s 10 teams.

Teams they could add: UConn, West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF. They would all come. Eventually, ND is going to get desperate, and they will probably come, years from now, as their program continues its descent. We just want know until the SEC/B1G pillage is done.

After that, you’re looking at USF, Tulane type teams. They’ll survive. Maybe even Rice. Or Army/Navy. There are options.

That’s why I say the Big 12 needs to get Oregon State and Washington State. Prepare to lose a few to the ACC. Maybe even take SMU in a trade for WV, Cincy and UCF.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I see no scenario where the SEC would invite Florida State, and presumably Clemson, to join the conference. I don't know how many votes you would need to approve another expansion, but there's no way State, Kentucky, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, and South Carolina would go for it. Hell, they couldn't even pass a 9-game schedule because a handful of schools spoke out against it.

B1G will scoop them up in a hurry... Gotta defend the turf.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why I believe the SEC will ultimately take FSU & Clemson, regardless of if it can get UNC & UVA. It keeps the Big 10 out of our back yard.
The Big 10 would have to break tradition on the whole AAC crap before they’d extend an invite to either FSU or Clemson, so I don’t know how much that factors in.

Also not sure how much a post-hype Clemson adds to the SEC equation. They seem to have turned back into a pumpkin again after the elite NFL QB well finally ran dry. May end up being just another Auburn. But, I still certainly think that they make a fine complimentary addition to FSU, for purposes of even numbers. I think NC and VA are going to be the real battlegrounds between SEC and the B1G.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Totally agree. As I stated before this is heading towards 2 conferences. Every school out there wants to be in the SEC or B10. We can't let the B10 have a 30 team superconference. We need all the top teams in our region. And FSU is one of those. In state rivalries are great television too. Look at how popular bama/aubie is. State/OM. Texas/A&M is gonna be huge. FSU and Clemson would add value for both parties

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I see the scenario where the SEC picks up a couple big fan bases and keeps the B1G out of our back yard. Let them have the north and the west coast. The southeast is ours.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
You will see this year.
Ah yes, because a 1 season sample size determines the true impacts. Give me a break.

Each expansion has added more parity to the SEC, has added more eyeballs nationally, and given us substantially more resources. And each expansion has launched us to more success as a program. The 1992 expansion brought Arkansas and divisions and it was going to be stacked against us. In reality, it gave us another essentially equal team to face, and gave us funding and the drive that got us to an SEC title game. With 2012, Texas 8&4 was going to be the death of us because "the sleeping giant" would be out from under the Longhorn shadow. Two years later we are #1 in the country and after a decade plus we are basically equals on the field.

Yeah, next season may suck as we recover from one of the worst decisions made since firing Alyn McKeen - but in the long term history shows expansion helps.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ah yes, because a 1 season sample size determines the true impacts. Give me a break.

Each expansion has added more parity to the SEC, has added more eyeballs nationally, and given us substantially more resources. And each expansion has launched us to more success as a program. The 1992 expansion brought Arkansas and divisions and it was going to be stacked against us. In reality, it gave us another essentially equal team to face, and gave us funding and the drive that got us to an SEC title game. With 2012, Texas 8&4 was going to be the death of us because "the sleeping giant" would be out from under the Longhorn shadow. Two years later we are #1 in the country and after a decade plus we are basically equals on the field.

Yeah, next season may suck as we recover from one of the worst decisions made since firing Alyn McKeen - but in the long term history shows expansion helps.
Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas A&M and Missouri are not Texas and Oklahoma. And going forward FSU and Clemson. Not to mention the number of G5 and FCS teams we play will decrease. There is a big difference in what is happening lately, and previous expansions.

Then add NIL and the portal, which destroys the way we have traditionally built our successful programs.

A bigger playoff is the only good thing to happen for us in a while. And that just gives HOPE for being included in something that matters, because our chance of actually winning a national championship are now lower than any time in history.

Reactions: AROB44

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Totally agree. As I stated before this is heading towards 2 conferences. Every school out there wants to be in the SEC or B10. We can't let the B10 have a 30 team superconference. We need all the top teams in our region. And FSU is one of those. In state rivalries are great television too. Look at how popular bama/aubie is. State/OM. Texas/A&M is gonna be huge. FSU and Clemson would add value for both parties
I don’t know what they’ll do, but to me, a 30-team conference seems impractical. I just don’t see the purpose unless we totally change the playoff.

There’s no real point in winning the conference anymore. It’s really just a collection of teams who agree to play each other. And honestly, if gives us more rivalries, I’m all for that.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This could be way off the mark here but my guess is the whole point of the superconferences is to demand more TV money due to having the most desirable teams and thereby via this huge TV contract pay the commissioner and his assistants etc more money. I don't like it myself but the SEC doesn't need to let the B10 outgrow them. Two things run this world and every single aspect of it. One of those two is green money. The other is pink. The only 2 colors that matter.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
This could be way off the mark here but my guess is the whole point of the superconferences is to demand more TV money due to having the most desirable teams and thereby via this huge TV contract pay the commissioner and his assistants etc more money. I don't like it myself but the SEC doesn't need to let the B10 outgrow them. Two things run this world and every single aspect of it. One of those two is green money. The other is pink. The only 2 colors that matter.
So what if they do “outgrow” the SEC? How does that affect Mississippi State fans?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

Clemson/FSU are so much better programs than Mizzou/Texas and Ark/SC. Enjoy getting picked 16th or 17th every year in an 18 team league.

Adding UNC/UVA would be a net positive for State.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They ACC days are numbered.
Only question is what’s the number. Its less than 10 years for sure. It may survive, but it’ll be an eastern version of the Mountain West. We’re headed for a Big 2 conferences, with Big 12 as the only 2nd tier conference.
SEC and Big 10 are headed towards co-dominance of college football. They’re pretty much there now with the latest additions. Top 13 in CFP rankings are 7 SEC, 5 Big 10 and FSU. That won’t change any time soon. These are the 2 super conferences. Theyll continue to form a loose alliance, similar to the way they do now with Big 12 & ACC. But over time those 2 influence will fade.

Reactions: GloryDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t think so. Their days as a tier 1 conference are numbered, but they’ll still be a formidable peer to the Big 12.

Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, NC State, Duke, Louisville, SMU are the core. You know you will lose 6 of Stanford, Cal, Miami, Virginia, VTech, North Carolina, Clemson and FSU. That’s 10 teams.

Teams they could add: UConn, West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF. They would all come. Eventually, ND is going to get desperate, and they will probably come, years from now, as their program continues its descent. We just want know until the SEC/B1G pillage is done.

After that, you’re looking at USF, Tulane type teams. They’ll survive. Maybe even Rice. Or Army/Navy. There are options.

That’s why I say the Big 12 needs to get Oregon State and Washington State. Prepare to lose a few to the ACC. Maybe even take SMU in a trade for WV, Cincy and UCF.
Right now, the Big 12 is a more attractive destination than the ACC and I don’t expect that to change for the life of the ACC GoR. I don’t think a single current Big 12 team would leave for the ACC, not a one.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right now, the Big 12 is a more attractive destination than the ACC and I don’t expect that to change for the life of the ACC GoR. I don’t think a single current Big 12 team would leave for the ACC, not a one.
Either the ACC will survive and be a peer of the Big 12, or the Big 12 will double in size by gobbling up those leftover teams.

I think it’s the former.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login