FSU leaving the ACC ?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
YARN | On whom's authority? | The Office (2005) - S03E07 Branch Closing |  Video gifs by quotes | 8458d8c6 | 紗

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was about to post that it would have been cool if FSU, Miami and Clemson had taken a leadership role, and maybe worked with Notre Dame, and decided to make the ACC better and help it survive for all of them, long-term. Because they all, even ND, are on shaky ground. And....the B1G stayed out of it and been happy with the 18 they have. Would have been better to have a Big 4, even if the top 2 are ahead, rather than 3. I mean the big reason FSU wants out is because the B1G is flirting with them.

But then I remembered how stupid it is that Cal and Stanford are now in the ACC. SMU for that matter. So damn dumb. They should act like adults, B1G take Cal/Stanford, ACC swap SMU for West Virginia, and move on. ACC could be a solid 16 team conference just like the Big 12, if FSU/Clemson/ND committed to it. Go out and get your own TV rights, and you also have an easier path to winning.

Big 12 is probably regretting taking UCF and Cincinnati too. Be better if they had Washington State and Oregon State. Just better 'state' brands.

Reactions: LIdawg1157

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was about to post that it would have been cool if FSU and Clemson had taken a leadership role, and maybe worked with Notre Dame, and decided to make the ACC better and help it survive for all of them, long-term. Because they all, even ND, are on shaky ground. And....the B1G stayed out of it and been happy with the 18 they have. Would have been better to have a Big 4, even if the top 2 are ahead, rather than 3.

But then I remembered how stupid it is that Cal and Stanford are now in the ACC. SMU for that matter. So damn dumb. They should act like adults, B1G take Cal/Stanford, ACC swap SMU for West Virginia, and move on. ACC could be a solid 16 team conference just like the Big 12, if FSU/Clemson/ND committed to it.

Big 12 is probably regretting taking UCF and Cincinnati too. Be better if they had Washington State and Oregon State. Just better 'state' brands.
FSU, UNC, NCSU, UVA and Notre Dame (and maybe Clemson) are too big for the other ACC schools. They will all leave when they can afford to. Hopefully, the remaining ACC schools can work with the Big 12 to swap the western ACC schools to the Big 12 and the eastern Big 12 schools to the ACC. Two conferences working together is probably a pipe dream though.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
FSU, UNC, NCSU, UVA and Notre Dame (and maybe Clemson) are too big for the other ACC schools. They will all leave when they can afford to. Hopefully, the remaining ACC schools can work with the Big 12 to swap the western ACC schools to the Big 12 and the eastern Big 12 schools to the ACC. Two conferences working together is probably a pipe dream though.
Yeah I know the reality. This is probably more of an old man yells at cloud, me bltching about what could be most ideal. Doesn't matter anyway, because the current SEC is certainly not ideal, too big, with too many powerful teams. Too much competition in other words.

But back to my idealism - you just listed 6 schools, out of a (about to be) 18-team conference. A third. First, are there enough seats at the table in the other conferences? Second, couldn't those 6 schools band together and throw some weight? Third, it just makes better geographic sense.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is probably more of an old man yells at cloud, me bltching about what could be most ideal.
I don't disagree with you. I'm still pi$$ed about the ACC killing the Big East, as well as every significant conference realignment since then. It is kind of ironic that the conference that set all of this realignment in motion is going through a long, agonizing death by realignment.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I was about to post that it would have been cool if FSU, Miami and Clemson had taken a leadership role, and maybe worked with Notre Dame, and decided to make the ACC better and help it survive for all of them, long-term. Because they all, even ND, are on shaky ground. And....the B1G stayed out of it and been happy with the 18 they have. Would have been better to have a Big 4, even if the top 2 are ahead, rather than 3. I mean the big reason FSU wants out is because the B1G is flirting with them.

But then I remembered how stupid it is that Cal and Stanford are now in the ACC. SMU for that matter. So damn dumb. They should act like adults, B1G take Cal/Stanford, ACC swap SMU for West Virginia, and move on. ACC could be a solid 16 team conference just like the Big 12, if FSU/Clemson/ND committed to it. Go out and get your own TV rights, and you also have an easier path to winning.

As long as Notre Dame has NBC they are NOT on shaky ground.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
As long as Notre Dame has NBC they are NOT on shaky ground.
"As long". Well no shlt.

But smart people look 10-20 years into the future, when making big decisions. ND's football influence is shrinking every year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not as long as they have NBC it isn't. Notre Dame still has more sidewalk alumni than any school in the country, and it's not close.
Your thought process is too rigid. Once you get a thought in your head, like most boomers, you simply cannot change or understand any other viewpoint.

They aren't good, and don't really have a positive outlook, football wise. It's not a desirable location, they can't get the best players due to academics, and they haven't been seriously a contender since Holtz left. You have a 25-year window maximum to maintain your blue blood status, and they lost theirs a long time ago. That wears on you over time. Even when they made the national title game in 2012 and the playoff in 2020 or whenever that was, it was easy to see they were a pretender propped up by an easy schedule and ND nostalgia.

So yeah, they're still a name, for now. But that name is weakening every year that they don't put a serious contender out there.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"As long". Well no shlt.

But smart people look 10-20 years into the future, when making big decisions. ND's football influence is shrinking every year.
As much as I would love that to be true, they just signed a new NBC deal in November that will give them $50 Million per year through 2029. This is on top of the $17 Million they're already getting from the ACC.

They're still getting a seat at the CFP table and will until at least 2031. Their CFP payout will be $12 Million per year with the possibility of another $6 Million if it gets into the field of 12. So, they have a real possibility of getting an $85 Million annual payout.

They're not going anywhere any time soon. But, let's say we get to 2031 and power in the NCAA has completely consolidated into the SEC and Big Ten while the ACC is near collapse. Let's go even further and say that the CFP has decided that Notre Dame shouldn't get preferential treatment as an independent. If that is what happens, then Notre Dame's absolute worst case scenario is that the SEC and Big Ten get in a bidding war to get ND on board as a full time member.

If it comes down to it and there's not enough pie to go around, the Big Ten and SEC will absolutely step over the corpses of Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State and any other ACC school to get Notre Dame on board as a full time member.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If it comes down to it and there's not enough pie to go around, the Big Ten and SEC will absolutely step over the corpses of Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, North Carolina, North Carolina State and any other ACC school to get Notre Dame on board as a full time member.
If it comes to that, I just hope those are the only corpses. But I suspect they won't be.

Reactions: Dawgg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
As much as I would love that to be true, they just signed a new NBC deal in November that will give them $50 Million per year through 2029. This is on top of the $17 Million they're already getting from the ACC.

They're still getting a seat at the CFP table and will until at least 2031. Their CFP payout will be $12 Million per year with the possibility of another $6 Million if it gets into the field of 12. So, they have a real possibility of getting an $85 Million annual payout.

They're not going anywhere any time soon. But, let's say we get to 2031 and power in the NCAA has completely consolidated into the SEC and Big Ten while the ACC is near collapse. Let's go even further and say that the CFP has decided that Notre Dame shouldn't get preferential treatment as an independent. If that is what happens, then Notre Dame's absolute worst case scenario is that the SEC and Big Ten get in a bidding war to get ND on board as a full time member.

Spot on. The goat again is shown his view is typi wrong

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Your thought process is too rigid. Once you get a thought in your head, like most boomers, you simply cannot change or understand any other viewpoint.

They aren't good, and don't really have a positive outlook, football wise. It's not a desirable location, they can't get the best players due to academics, and they haven't been seriously a contender since Holtz left. You have a 25-year window maximum to maintain your blue blood status, and they lost theirs a long time ago. That wears on you over time. Even when they made the national title game in 2012 and the playoff in 2020 or whenever that was, it was easy to see they were a pretender propped up by an easy schedule and ND nostalgia.

So yeah, they're still a name, for now. But that name is weakening every year that they don't put a serious contender out there.
The Catholic Church says hello.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Where I live there are a lot people who did not attend Alabama, Ole Miss, and MSU that regularly go to games at those places. The only other place I know of like that here are the few guys I know, none of whom are boomers, that go to a Notre Dame game or two every year. It's like that all over the country. Their fan base is still MASSIVE.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
University of Central Florida
-or-
Oregon State/Washington State

Seems like an easy pick to me as the Big12.
- UCF gives them eyeballs in a large population state, the university has a huge enrollment, and money has been thrown at athletics over the last decade.
- Oregon State gives them eyeballs in a relatively small state, in a region that is being pillaged by other conferences because schools out there struggle for relevancy, and they arent dominant in any sport that matters.
- Washington State gives them the most remote large university in the country that nobody else wanted.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Is there something new that has happened or are you just stirring the pot?
Just an awful lot of articles stating that they are definitely leaving from legit sports guys. Speculation about a couple other teams. The major broadcasters will help them make the move any way they can. It's obvious they wanna be paying for the rights to two conferences instead of 4 or 5. So they need to manipulate all the best (most profitable) viewerships where it will be most beneficial for them

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
I don't disagree with you. I'm still pi$$ed about the ACC killing the Big East, as well as every significant conference realignment since then. It is kind of ironic that the conference that set all of this realignment in motion is going through a long, agonizing death by realignment.
The Big East seems to have come full circle as a basketball only power conference. And it seems to be alive and well.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Big East seems to have come full circle as a basketball only power conference. And it seems to be alive and well.
Yeah, their revenue distribution is $3.7 million per school. They’re doing great compared to the days they were a legitimate Power 6 conference. **

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Yeah, their revenue distribution is $3.7 million per school. They’re doing great compared to the days they were a legitimate Power 6 conference. **
It’s a great basketball league regardless of the revenue distribution.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login