Fun weekend, improbable weekend, fantastic weekend, but it is just one weekend...

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
In the next week or so when the critical decisions are being made on the future our program the events of the last two years must be considered not just the last two days. Lest we forget, in the unmitigated disaster that was last season we took 2 of 3 on the road from the eventual national champions.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I think Lemon had one year left even before the LSU series. Now, if true, I hope Zach made him present a plan on how we're gonna get out of this mess regardless of whether we win out or not. Even if we make Hoover, we still have to win the SECT to get in the Dance.....and that's not very likely.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The team proved it had some fight, much to your chagrin.

The team hasn't quit. Lemonis will be back.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The non fanatical truth is we lost all of our talent after the championship. Every contributor went to the league and sadly the cupboards were bare. If he can hold onto the top contributors from this year, add a good freshman class and pick.up a few guys in the portal this team will be ready next year

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The non fanatical truth is we lost all of our talent after the championship. Every contributor went to the league and sadly the cupboards were bare. If he can hold onto the top contributors from this year, add a good freshman class and pick.up a few guys in the portal this team will be ready next year
Yep. And injuries. Without injuries the team last year would have been in a regional, much like the 2014 team when we lost Renfroe and Frazier and Graveman. Fortunately for the 2014 team, all the pitching stayed healthy. Imagine if we had lost Rubber Arm Mitchell, Holder and Lindgren?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nobody on this team is a holder or lindren. Mitchell wasn't that great when the hall changed. He got rocked his last year. The problem we have had last year and this year was a lack of talent at pitcher. Several recruiting misses and several under development players. There aren't a lot of pitchers that have shown solid progressive improvement we saw under previous pitching staffs prior to lemonis and Henderson. We also are terrible fielders and took most of the season to replace some awful guys on the field. Way too many errors for an sec ball club. One weekend doesn't change anything. We still got run rules Friday. LSUs bullpen had a monumental breakdown Sunday. Similar to ours against Tennessee. I was impressed we fought back but Lem almost screwed it up putting in hunt in the 9th in a tie ball game. The team era and fielding errors are the major problems. If Lem can somehow win the series against TAMU and somehow make about 3 games In tournament I would feel better about bring him back. Even in our worst years of injuries to pitchers in the past we have never been as bad as we are now getting run ruled and having an era of 10. We had guys coming in from left field that had more grit to pitch.

if Lem comes back, he will somehow have to figure out how to replace most of the entire pitching staff. Better learn to recruit the portal.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Ready for what? To shoot for .500 ball
in SEC play or make the SEC tourney?

Reactions: thekimmer

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I enjoyed the wins this weekend. But you're right - it's not unusual for this to happen. It was around this same weekend in May when a worse Missouri came to Starkville in 2021 and kicked our national championship winning ***.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Let's not forget Alabama whose coach was throwing games is ahead of us in conference play.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Two years in a row being last place or next to last in the conference is unacceptable at Mississippi state baseball. RPI being what it is. If the sec is tough well that the conference we play in and we shouldn't say well it's hard. Rpi shouldn't matter msu baseball should always be in the top quarter. Not Kentucky and auburn. Florida, Arkansas, vandy, LSU all near the top and we should be right there with them. Yes I know we just beat lsu but every club as a weekend where things don't go their way. Ask Arkansas and Tennessee about that last two tournaments. We experienced that in 16 against Arizona. 13 against ucla. We need to expect better. 8-19 in conference play is atrocious. We were 9-21 last year. So we have a chance to finish worse or even with last year two years in a row. Not great Bob

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Will you still feel this way when they lose this weekend and run-ruled a couple of times?

I'm not that easy, sorry.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I enjoyed the wins this weekend. But you're right - it's not unusual for this to happen. It was around this same weekend in May when a worse Missouri came to Starkville in 2021 and kicked our national championship winning ***.
That's right. I had forgotten about that debacle followed closely by getting run ruled out ot Hoover. But the rest as they say, was history.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Great weekend. But I think it tells us a lot more about LSU than it tells us about Mississippi State.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The team proved it had some fight, much to your chagrin.
Where has this fight been the last 2 seasons, seriously 2 games in 24 hrs vs 2 seasons? We are mid to dead last in most every fielding, batting, and pitching statistical category, and that's good enough for you to bring 'em all back, players and coaches because of 2 damn games?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody on this team is a holder or lindren. Mitchell wasn't that great when the hall changed. He got rocked his last year. The problem we have had last year and this year was a lack of talent at pitcher. Several recruiting misses and several under development players. There aren't a lot of pitchers that have shown solid progressive improvement we saw under previous pitching staffs prior to lemonis and Henderson. We also are terrible fielders and took most of the season to replace some awful guys on the field. Way too many errors for an sec ball club. One weekend doesn't change anything. We still got run rules Friday. LSUs bullpen had a monumental breakdown Sunday. Similar to ours against Tennessee. I was impressed we fought back but Lem almost screwed it up putting in hunt in the 9th in a tie ball game. The team era and fielding errors are the major problems. If Lem can somehow win the series against TAMU and somehow make about 3 games In tournament I would feel better about bring him back. Even in our worst years of injuries to pitchers in the past we have never been as bad as we are now getting run ruled and having an era of 10. We had guys coming in from left field that had more grit to pitch.

if Lem comes back, he will somehow have to figure out how to replace most of the entire pitching staff. Better learn to recruit the portal.
I was comparing last year. There was this guy named Landon Sims.....

And Simmons and Auger had started asserting themselves as our more reliable arms out of the pen. And damn we could use them right now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Where has this fight been the last 2 seasons, seriously 2 games in 24 hrs vs 2 seasons? We are mid to dead last in most every fielding, batting, and pitching statistical category, and that's good enough for you to bring 'em all back, players and coaches because of 2 damn games?
Well - the problem is talent. So let's identify the right thing.

I think this whole 'quit' thing is a little overrated, at least when it comes to our team vs. any other team. When teams are losing, of course attitudes aren't perfect. But this team has shown they have the ability to dig a little bit when pressed.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Omaha. Hoover is not a goal.
That’s laughable. Please tell me, specifically, how we are going to go from the worst SEC program the past two years to Omaha?

You paid by the school to push this?

Unless we bring in three (yes, three) SEC caliber starting pitchers(they don’t have to be awesome, just serviceable), a stud SS, and a stud 3B, we will be LUCKY to sniff Hoover. If we do all those things, going on the road for a super would be our best case scenario and something everyone would be happy with.

With the exception of Cade, all of our current starters should be in the pen and Hunt shouldn’t have had to throw a pitch this year. It’s hard to believe that guy was evaluated to be our Saturday starter, and just had his best outing of the year this past weekend. He lowered his ERA by nearly 1.50 to drop to a sterling 9.44 ERA on the year.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I was comparing last year. There was this guy named Landon Sims.....

And Simmons and Auger had started asserting themselves as our more reliable arms out of the pen. And damn we could use them right now.
We are not talking about a step or even 5 steps back. We are talking about a full scale drop into the abyss. Your hero Lemonis after the 2022 season said in the media that he agreed that what happened last year was unacceptable. From SI: "We've had injuries, we've had other stuff, but we should still play good enough to get in," Lemonis said. "I mean, I just have done a poor job of having these guys ready."

Then he promised us this was an anomaly that he would fix in short order. Again from SI": "We're building it back quick, I can tell you that. We'll build it back quick," Lemonis said.

Well this season has shown ZERO improvement and all I have heard from CCL is "I've got to figure it out", "It's on me to get us ready", and "I don't know." Winning two the next to last weekend of the season is great but far from demonstrating he has finally figured it out.

These are his words, not mine. I think we should hold him to them.

Reactions: drummerdawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That’s laughable. Please tell me, specifically, how we are going to go from the worst SEC program the past two years to Omaha?

You paid by the school to push this?

Unless we bring in three (yes, three) SEC caliber starting pitchers(they don’t have to be awesome, just serviceable), a stud SS, and a stud 3B, we will be LUCKY to sniff Hoover. If we do all those things, going on the road for a super would be our best case scenario and something everyone would be happy with.

With the exception of Cade, all of our current starters should be in the pen and Hunt shouldn’t have had to throw a pitch this year. It’s hard to believe that guy was evaluated to be our Saturday starter, and just had his best outing of the year this past weekend. He lowered his ERA by nearly 1.50 to drop to a sterling 9.44 ERA on the year.

Youll need to add 4-5 quality arms outside of what we have in the program right now.

Probably dont need a stud SS and 3b. But both would need to glove it, and one would need to be very good. Also would need to add a CF thats can produce similar to Clark and play a nice centerfield.

Add that to Smith, Hines, Jordan, Clark, Mershon, Highfill-- you have the makings of an upper tier SEC team

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Your hero Lemonis
Stop right there. This is where your opinion is rendered moot. I am on record saying I am not a fan of Lemonis, or his recruiting strategies.

I am just assessing this situation like an adult. We are not in a good position to make a new hire, and it's not a smart thing to do to fire a national championship baseball coach 2 years later. He's got some good young players in there, give him a third year to get it done. If not, fire him next year.

It's quite simple. Don't take your anger out on me.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Youll need to add 4-5 quality arms outside of what we have in the program right now.

Probably dont need a stud SS and 3b. But both would need to glove it, and one would need to be very good. Also would need to add a CF thats can produce similar to Clark and play a nice centerfield.

Add that to Smith, Hines, Jordan, Clark, Mershon, Highfill-- you have the makings of an upper tier SEC team
To be honest, I think we need to stop wondering about freshmen and portal guys to 'make' our season next year, unless we find a Skenes, which isn't likely.

I think it's much more likely that our season will come down to the guys already here, plus Hujsak, Chester, Davis and Holcombe, Ytnema. Maybe these G5 portal guys are kinda like JUCOs, where they need some acclimation? Unless they are MLB guys like Ledbetter and the guy from last year from Mercer, can't remember his name.

Nate Williams, Tapper, Siary, all newcomers. We have the pieces. And Simmons and Auger will be back.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
To be honest, I think we need to stop wondering about freshmen and portal guys to 'make' our season next year, unless we find a Skenes, which isn't likely.

I think it's much more likely that our season will come down to the guys already here, plus Hujsak, Chester, Davis and Holcombe, Ytnema. Maybe these G5 portal guys are kinda like JUCOs, where they need some acclimation? Unless they are MLB guys like Ledbetter and the guy from last year from Mercer, can't remember his name.

Nate Williams, Tapper, Siary, all newcomers. We have the pieces. And Simmons and Auger will be back.

It comes down to do you think these kids are good and just need development OR if you think there is a lack of talent.

I dont see the talent. And if you compare our newcomers and freshman to others around the league, they dont stack up numbers wise either. Outside of Jordan all of our other freshman seem like role players not impact guys (mershon is looking better).

Other teams are getting better portal guys and are getting quality freshman to campus. Unless we start doing the same we are in trouble, and this staff hasnt been able to do this to this point.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Stop right there. This is where your opinion is rendered moot. I am on record saying I am not a fan of Lemonis, or his recruiting strategies.

I am just assessing this situation like an adult. We are not in a good position to make a new hire, and it's not a smart thing to do to fire a national championship baseball coach 2 years later. He's got some good young players in there, give him a third year to get it done. If not, fire him next year.

It's quite simple. Don't take your anger out on me.
My opinion is rendered moot because I called Lemonis your hero? Sorry snowflake. I'll take that part back. Now my opinion is not moot! Wow I feel so much better. BTW I am not angry at anybody. I just see what I see. NC notwithstanding.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
My opinion is rendered moot because I called Lemonis your hero? Sorry snowflake. I'll take that part back. Now my opinion is not moot! Wow I feel so much better. BTW I am not angry at anybody. I just see what I see. NC notwithstanding.
No, it's because you're already resorting to name-calling and exaggerations to try and discredit the messenger.

You and I agree on most things, so it's surprising that you went that route. You did it the other day too, saying "everything I post is dumb" or something like that.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Like was said last year, he has to add some new talent. Obviously he did not get it done last year in the off-season. If this time had 2 more good starting pitchers and improved fielding a little they could compete and possibly get back where they are suppose to be. Pitching is the biggest problem in my opinion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login