fundraising...we suck

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
so bama more than tripled our fundraising and more than quadrupled the pay of their football coach and lost to us...boy it is going to suck to write those checks this off season.

also, Saban's salary equals over 50% of our fundraising from last year. damn. i realize we have revenues coming from ticket sales, merch, and such but damn that is a lot.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Unbelievable. There's no reason in the world our number shouldn't be at least half again that much, and doubling it shouldn't be out of the question. I think we'll see a substantial increase within a year or two.

davatron

May 28, 2007
Think of all the walk-on alumni (i.e. people that never attended UA, but are fans/supporters) that Bama has. Their fan base is very "united" and willing to give. Hiring a big-name coach helped their fundraising. Hell, we've all seen the video of that drunk lady kissing Saban on the check.

I tell you, if MSU hired Nick Saban, half of our fan base would scratch their head and say "Who is he?".

Also, it is no secret that having a strong tradition makes people more likely to donate or at least buy season tickets. Byrne has his work cut out for him.

TideJoe79

Jul 22, 2007
That's fundraising..... not revenue. The football program generates nearly $60M in revenue per year.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
if you would read my post again you would be enlightened to the fact that i said something in there about revenue. your and idiot.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________I think we'll see a substantial increase within a year or two._________________________________________________
You think we'll see substantial increase as far as catching up to the pack, or a substantial increase in the bottom line?

....it's not a loaded question. I'm just curious.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we'll be over $10,000,000 in fundraising revenues within 2 years. We'll still be 11th, but we'll be within shouting distance of a couple of other schools.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
I'm also not wondering if some of ours is because of coaching buyouts. Sometimes they count that stuff on these things.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. I think fundraising will be way up. Templeton didn't have a clue or give a **** about fundraising. Fundraising is about all Byrne's ever done.

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
1. Larry Templeton was/is the worst people person and fund raiser in the history of college athletics or educational university fundraising

2. Greg has a GREAT reputation as being an excellent fund raiser....

those two stats alone count for a 25% increase in itself...

the other 25% comes from all the "little people" LT didnt give a **** about asking for money from, nor caring for their existance....screw him, and im giving more to the Bulldog Club next year than I will to my wife's breast implant fund just in spite of that son of a *****....

D

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
I have always thought goal-driven fundraising is the way to go.

Lets say we want to get ribbon boards and the new jumbotron. And lets say it costs $5,000,000.

Send out mailers indicated that we want to have the money one year from now...post a to-date dollars given counter on the website...sell advertising for the counter, probe people on game weekends for it.

And check of the list.

I am goal oriented...I would rather see exactly what my spending is going to...but thats just me.

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
Today there was a Bulldog Club info packet (with a letter signed by Greg Byrne) waiting in my mailbox since I ordered Liberty Bowl tickets. Of course, I've already joined this year, and haven't received any sort of "Welcome to the Bulldog Club" type of thing yet, but at least they are getting the word out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree, salty. We should have at least 3 different fundraising campaigns every year. When I donated last week, I noted how pathetic it was that on the website, there is a field for you to enter which fund you want the contribution to go to. When I clicked the dropdown box, there was only one option, Bulldog Club.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
3 major athletic facilities in the last 3-4 years (Holliman Center, Palmeiro Center, and Academic Complex) and not one public effort to solicit contributions.

Just scrounge (sp?) up enough to get a building up and build it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login