Fuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddggggggggggeeee RE: Saban

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Apropos of Saban...

[FONT="]Amazingly, Nick Saban has never lost a non-conference road game in his 15 years at Alabama. If Bama wins at Texas this season, he will move to an INCREDIBLE 3-0!— Tony Gerdeman (@TonyGerdeman) August 23, 2022 [/FONT]

Feb 23, 2008
I can't imagine why the guys working out there and winning games would want a

piece of the pie. Can't blame the kids for wanting to be paid when their coach's salary is front page news. Well that is until Georgia or Ohio State trumps it. Alabama created the monster in January of 2007 and 15 years later, they're still out here setting the tone. People don't realize just how much of a game changer that contract was for it's time. Obviously it was worth it in the end but it's all kinda hilarious seeing that Saban tries to pride himself on being old school and doesn't think money and NIL are good for college football. Well, right up until he uses it as a recruiting tool when talking about what Bryce Young makes. He's on the Bear plan. No way he lives a life after football.

Last edited:

fang

Nov 29, 2010
Remember who the first ‘million dollar man’ was for a HC?

https://vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1982/02/01/jackie-hits-the-jackpot

Last edited:

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
When I think of GOAT level players, they are always incredible to watch. I find it strange that the GOAT college football coach has such a boring team year in and year out. It’s also weird that GOAT players typically will raise the bar for everyone else and improve the game over time (Tiger for example), yet Saban has just about destroyed college football structurally with his pay, likely causing a lot of NIL to happen. He has also reduced non-Bama fan interest in the sport because Bama is almost always an auto loss on the schedule and they are an auto bid for the playoffs.

There is no way I look back in 20 years and talk about how awesome it was to watch the greatest college football coach of all time win games.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Serious questions (maybe some of you out there can provide answers): why in the 17 would a 70-year old man continue to work a "real" job? Doesn't every man want to retire and take it easy?

It's two things at this point...he's still an insanely driven person and ego. He's one of those that I think just has to be doing something. He can't just go to Waffle House in his khaki shorts, black knee high socks, and sandals like the rest of the old codgers. Plus, he has an ego the size of Bryant Denny and always wants one more championship. Just one more to cement himself as the greatest coach of all time.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The Ninja got paid too

Byrne also received an extension and raise on Tuesday. Byrne's updated deal runs through June 2029 and pays him an average of $1.7 million per year.

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
It's all he knows. It is literally his life and he would be 'lost' without the process and routine he has become accustomed to over the decades...

Serious questions (maybe some of you out there can provide answers): why in the 17 would a 70-year old man continue to work a "real" job? Doesn't every man want to retire and take it easy?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Some don't, a lot more than you think.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's all he knows. It is literally his life and he would be 'lost' without the process and routine he has become accustomed to over the decades...

Saban is one of the incredibly rare people in athletics that probably likes the competition less than the training. Most people love the games but don't want the grind. For Saban, the games are just validation of his process.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
It's two things at this point...he's still an insanely driven person and ego. He's one of those that I think just has to be doing something. He can't just go to Waffle House in his khaki shorts, black knee high socks, and sandals like the rest of the old codgers. Plus, he has an ego the size of Bryant Denny and always wants one more championship. Just one more to cement himself as the greatest coach of all time.

The thing that makes him so good is also the thing that won't let him stop.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Valid points all.

Will Saban work until he drops dead? I just don't understand that sort of mindset. But that's just me and my opinion. Clearly, Saban thinks differently than me.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why should he? Dude has it on autopilot at this point.

He's reached that point like you would eventually in NCAA Football video game dynasties - you just steamroll everyone into the championship game every year. Top recruiting class without even trying. You get job offers from 10-win teams. They want to extend your contract to 10 years after every season.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing 2 losses last year to former assistant coaches, the mystique is gone. He just does not want to believe it yet. The advantages he has enjoyed to build his brand/legacy are much less.

Part of my enjoyment is watching him lose more games as his career wanes. Poetic justice.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The mystique is gone? He won the SEC championship and played for the natty in a rebuilding year. That was probably his worst team since 2010 and he still played for the natty. If they don’t win it all this year, I will be surprised.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login