Gannett is apparently struggling.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'd be interested in a study on the decline of local newspapers. I mean they got terrible under Gannett, but they were subject to buyout by Gannett for a financial reason in the first place. I know I stopped subscribing when the Clarion Ledger could not get a simple Sunday delivery correct back in 2002ish. I never got my paper, nor a bill, but months later I got a collections notice from a collections company. I mean if I'm gonna default on something it's gonna be an overfinanced F250, not a newspaper!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Does sixpackspeak.com still have a higher web rating than the Clarion-Ledger site?

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
When my dad died last September, I held my nose and placed an obituary in the Clarion-Ledger, simply because he was of a generation that would appreciate that. It was not a crazy obit, four or five paragraphs hitting the important bases. It cost almost $600. Then, I went to grab a few print copies and I think I found them at the fourth gas station I tried, and it cost me $10 to buy four WEEKDAY newspapers.

Tell me you don't want to be in the newspaper business without telling me you don't want to be in the newspaper business, and I present every single decision Gannett has made in the past 20 years. If the Clarion-Ledger exists in any form five years from now I'll be shocked.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I loved me some Clarion Ledger 40+ years ago but I wouldn't demean a fish by wrapping it in one of those pieces of crap today. Back in the 70's and 80's that was a really solid statewide paper with great sports and outdoors coverage. Right now you can get online access for 6 months for $1, ONE WHOLE DOLLAR and that is overpaying...........

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
Years ago - as in probably the early 2000s - I worked out at the same gym as one of the semi-higher ups of the C-L. I asked him one day if they were worried about the rise of the internet and what it would do to traditional papers. He admitted that they were, and said that everybody was obviously going to have to wait and see how it all shook out. He said the only thing they (traditional papers) felt like they had going for them was "nobody else is going to pay somebody to go cover a Jackson or Brandon or Madison city council meeting."

I'm just old enough to where I can remember when the C-L was actually decent, and how much fun it was to read the sports section and sales circulars on Sundays.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login