Garrett has committed to LSU....

G

Goat Holder

It's official. On scout now. Hope Tyler Russell is good. 17 this damn Croom Coast Offense. How the 17 do you lose a guy like that in your back yard???</p>

G

Goat Holder

It's official. On scout now. Hope Tyler Russell is good. 17 this damn Croom Coast Offense. How the 17 do you lose a guy like that in your back yard???</p>

G

Goat Holder

G

Goat Holder

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Crooms's ability to lose "legacies", or whatever Garrett was, is legendary.

G

Goat Holder

My guess is we won't even sign a QB this year. Croom has completely SCREWED up a year when there are THREE big time QBs in this state.

G

Goat Holder

just didn't want to post it because my source is known to be full of ****. Not anymore I guess......

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Meanwhile MSU has one bowl appearance over that same period of time. I love State but this choice would have been easy, and it has nothing to do with our coach (in my case). I'd take LSU right now easily over MSU. You have a chance at a SEC title, a National title, and they have nothing behind Perrilloux.

Note: I'm not saying it had nothing to do with Croom or his offense in Garrett's case.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
recruits dont look at that do they? Losing this kid is beyond pathetic.Yeah Downtown Dawg, lets keep this conservative, craptastic offense so we wont ever get a player in here. When we cant get kids like this, its just f'ing ridiculous

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Who needs more QB's, anyway?? After all, we got us a guy already on campus who went 6-22 in practice. 6-22.

*blam*

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
Going to LSU means he'll probably redshirt his first year, sit on the bench his Fr. and Soph. seasons, play sparingly in his Jr. year, become the full time starter his Sr. year, and get drafted in the first round. Going to State means he'll redshirt his Fr. year, only to have it burned in week 5 after Carroll and Relf suffer injuries, then lose confidence after putting up poor numbers, then get thrust into the starter's role his Soph. season when Carroll and Relf transfer and/or blow out their knees, only to put up crappy numbers and be replaced by the next "real deal" freshman, then quit football altogether and become assistant manager at a trucking company in Tupelo.

Good move for him, but I sure wish Croom would have pulled this one out.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
start crucifying "Diddy" for "letting" the boy choose anywhere other than Diddy's alma mater. How DARE he?

Has a touch of the Archie/Peyton feel, don't it?

Is there a little brother we can look forward to?

Eureka Dog

Feb 25, 2008
quite favorably by most LSU fans I am around. In fact, most of them kinda want RP to "disappear" so the other kid can start playing now. They're tired of RP's antics and fear that he could end up fouling up next season.

In short, they want an RP with his head screwed on straight. Otherwise, they want the kid out of Texas to be on the field.

G

Goat Holder

Just sayin'. This effer CANNOT recruit skill players. His offense must be amended or we will suck forever.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
LSU's propensity to win 10 games/year and the occasional national championship. In fact, I'll wager that if we were coming off of say 2-3 consecutive 8 win seasons, instead of one, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

However, there's no excuse from Croom on this one. How do you lose a kid whose dad is the president of the county alumni association? Absolutely no freaking excuse. Pitiful job, Croom, absolutely pitiful. You do what you have to do to get this kid. If you can't get a blue chip kid who grew up in your backyard loving your team and coming to your games, you're never going to get any bluechips. Dammit.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Peyton never committed to Ole Miss and then proceeded to talk **** about recruiting other players to Oxford only to back out nearly immediately and go to a rival SEC school.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
we "appear" to be on the upswing. Crooms has been the national media darling by winning 8 games this season. He has shown, according to most of you here, that he has turned the corner and bright skies are ahead for MSU football. What better time for Garrett to come in and be the QB? To lead the team he has grown up loving?</p>

I understand the glamour of LSU and even posted that I thought he would be drawn to it, but there is no doubt our offense had alot to do with it. Its not the only thing, but it was a part</p>

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
that is on LSU's Scout site.

It's not (yet) on Genespage, though. I find that very amusing.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
No kidding. This guy is a junior....JUNIOR....in high school still. Yet, there are numerous threads about what he will do 11 months from now. It is ridiculous.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You can go to MSU and go to bowl games but LSU is contending for the title every year now. If LSU offered me I would probably take it too.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
hate to question people but while Chris was raised an MSU fan you have to wonder how much of a fan he was on his own. No die hard MSU fan would go play at LSU/Bama/OM...maybe Texas, FSU, TN, etc. but not at one of those 3.

Second being an MSU fan would know what Croom means by committment and he made a major mistake in comitting early. He can jaw all he wants about being surprised at the big-time offers, but committing early should mean you don't care who else offers, you've made your choice. For example, last year C. Mitchell held out b/c he wanted that LSU offer that never came.

On the MSU side you've got to wonder if the staff did something to displease Chris and worry Chris or if this was simply Chris getting caught up in the national championship glam. Heck, LSU even has another top flight QB committed.

My biggest problem is that most MSU fans admit that it's hard to recruit against the big boys and now we just need to land some in-state big players and try and turn the tide. Then a supposed fan of our school has a chance to be that player and he crosses over - same thing with Richard Dickson a few years back.

If you can't get the kids that were brought up State fans to want to play at MSU then it's going to be hard to ever gain ground on the LSU's of the area. And this after an 8 win year.

So Chris will get hammered and somewhat rightfully so for puling the rug out after all his previous comments (lesson learned I hope) and the coaching staff will get ripped by those wondering if anythign they did had anything to do with the situation.

We may never know the answer but this is a HUGE loss for MSU and a quick punch to our recruiting momentum. Wasn't sure of our chances with Bumphis before, and this probably doesn't help.

Time to try to recover and put the full court press on Tyler and Clayton and then hope that time proves that we ended up with the better player somehow.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
LSU just won a national title
LSU recently produced the no. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft at QB
LSU's facilities dwarf MSU's
MSU's coach told Garrett and Garrett's dad that he would be the only QB we offered.
MSU promptly turned around and offered Tyler Russell.
We still don't know what our offense can do with the appropriate QB, but the results so far have not been pretty

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
..Losing yet another blue chip prospect on the offensive side of the ball (and one that is sure to be the most highly publicized in this state), or what the MSU-alum father had to say:

"He's been praying about it for weeks, and he thinks this is what's best for his future and career," his father, David Garrett told me this morning. "It's tough for him, because he's been a Mississippi State fan his entire life. He loves Coach Croom and the staff, but just feels LSU is what's best for his future and chance to play in the NFL."

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
I believe. He might be a good one. Also, Miles will probably continue to recruit another qb and maybe that will change his mind like it did with Robert Lane.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

dawgball

Aug 29, 2006
Personally, I don't think we'll ever be able to sign an elite QB that will take our program beyond the mediocre level (and that's generous), if we couldn't get this one. Seriously, how many QBs of Garret's caliber have been born and raised Dawgs? Further, assuming arguendo that there's been a few, how many of their families were as supportive and actively involved in MSU athletics as Garret's? We're not talking about any passive or fair weather fans here. For Christ's sake, his dad is the local chairman of an organization that's purpose is to facilitate success in MSU athletics.

dawgball

Aug 29, 2006
No die hard MSU fan would go play at LSU/Bama/OM...
Agreed, but I wonder if one can truly become a die hard State fan without having attended.

same thing with Richard Dickson a few years back.
I don't think they're exactly the same. Dickson is from LSU country, which is quite different than growing up in Tupelo. And did he ever commit to us? It's my understanding that our staff didn't recruit Dickson that hard for some unknown reason.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
....and a ****** job of recruiting done by our coaches on this one.

Assume Texas Tech and Mississippi State win the same number of games/year, have the same quality of facilities, and have the same amount of fan support and exposure opportunities. If you are on offensive player living equidistant from the two, and you have no ties either way, then yes, you would choose TT based on the ability to play in an exciting offense. If you are a defensive player, you would choose Mississippi State, because we traditionally are better defensively.

Now assume Texas Tech wins on average 3 less games/year than State, and only goes to half as many bowls as State. They still have an exciting offense, but they are not near as successful overall. No player in their right mind would choose TT over State, regardless of the opportunity to sling it. Players want to win and go to bowl games.

My point, which I fully expect to go right over your head: State could be running whatever offense you want them to run, but if they are not nearly as successful as the program down the road that offers, it doesn't mean **** to MOST players. And the Spread offense does not equal overall success. See Memphis. Hell, see Texas Tech. I am sure that over the course of Mike Leach's tenure there have been plenty of offensive players that grew up close to Lubbock that went to Texas when offered.

However, don't mistake what I'm saying. ****** job of recruiting by the MSU coaching staff. Terrible job. If you can't get Garrett, what great player can you get?

patdog

May 28, 2007
And in reply to Coach 34, I don't think it's so much the offense we run as it is the inept coaches we have running it.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
just using it as an example of a blue-chipper with MSU ties that went elsewhere.

As far as his dad's quote...NFL people find you if you're good. They don't care as much as some folks think about where you play, etc. It might play a small role but there are plenty of NFL QB's that are from non Top 15 programs

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
with a mobile option style QB, because isn't that what's readily available in Mississippi?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login