Garrett is WAY overrated ....

RidgeReb2

Mar 3, 2008
I'm a Rebel fan and don't have a dog in this fight either way, so no one say anything about me changing my opinion based on the kid's decision.

But I saw Garrett play several times and he is WAY, WAY overrated- Blake Barnes was much more impressive in high school and he didn't even play a down for Georgia. Garrett is quite possibly the least mobile QB I've seen at any level- he moves like he's walking in molasses. And his accuracy was very average in the games I watched.</p>

He will never play a down for LSU- book it.</p>

G

Goat Holder

but I chalked it up to Ole Miss fans that wanted to rain on our parade. I hope it's true. I have also heard that Tyler Russell was the best of the bunch. Who really knows.

Doesn't look like Croom or Nutt is recruiting Moore. I hope we get on the ball. I'm worried we've pissed the other 2 off because we went all out after Garrett first and foremost.

RidgeReb2

Mar 3, 2008
that he didn't even look like a particularly good high school QB in that game. I wasn't trying to flame- I was giving my honest opinion. Bumphis threw the only decent deep ball of that game on an end-around. The other 3 times I saw Garrett play were nothing to write home about either.

Garrett has gotten all this attention because he looked like an NFL QB when he was still in junior high school. So that gets the hype machine going, and Swindoll fanned the flames because he thought he would go to state. All you have to do is look at his stats from the last 2 years- very mediocre in spite of having a very good WR to throw to in Bumphis.

RidgeReb2

Mar 3, 2008
from his sophomore year: 90-180 1, 400 yards, 8 int's, 9 TD's.
His junior year wasn't much different if I recall. All you had to do was see how the Tupelo coach used him - time and again he'd prefer to run the ball and when they did throw it was usually a safe, quick throw that didn't give the defense time to exploit Garrett's lack of mobility. If you are as immobile as Garrett, you'd better have great accuracy, and he doesn't as evidenced by his 50% completion rate.

G

Goat Holder

Moore's stats dwarf Garrett's. But I think Garrett performed well at the camps, and what you said about his size, thus the attention.

Oct 14, 2007
Facts as they relate to the favored son QB don't fly well here. He's probably decent, but certainly not as good as the hype. You hit the nail on the head with his mobility. Another thing I noticed when I saw him play was an inability to feel the pass rush or have that "clock in his head" to know when he needs to get rid of the ball. He took way too many sacks when I saw him play. And you're also correct about the way they passed - short, quick routes to keep him upright.

futaba.79

Jun 4, 2007
who was QBing for Tupelo when they played Starkville the last two years. It was a big immobile white kid with a cannon. He made some really good throws, threw some deep balls right on the money. I guess I need to wonder who was calling the plays as well.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Well, after our recent experiences with highly rated QBs, I don't put much stock in anyone's evaluation or ranking of QBs anymore. I think QB is probably the toughest position to evaluate even for pro teams trying to evaluate college QBs, much less college teams trying to evaluate HS QBs. So I typically take the wait and see approach with QB signees. That's also why it pays to be able to sign about 2 QBs that you at least feel have a shot to be quality college QBs. You have to be prepared for the fact that you'll sign more busts at QB than most other positions.

Garrett appears to have the tools to potentially be successful at the D-1 level, but it's anyone's guess as to whether he'll be an Eli or a Blake Barnes. If you miss on Garrett but sign Russell and Moore, then I'd still be happy if I was an MSU fan knowing you'd signed 2 QBs with D-1 potential.

We signed Nathan Stanley and Chris Wilkes last year. Neither were overly big time prospects, but both appear to have the size, arm strength, etc. to potentially be D-1 quality. And I hope we find 2 QBs this year with D-1 potential to sign, because we need as many as we can find to hopefully get one quality QB out of the bunch. That's all you can really ask. That's also why schools like UGA and Florida often sign 2 or 3 blue chip QBs per class. Even they don't know what will happen with those guys.

G

Goat Holder

Honestly, if we can't get Garrett to Starkville, then why the hell would we think we could get anybody else worth a ****? And you don't have to worry about Ole Miss, they don't want to play QB for Nutt either.

uhhct1

Feb 24, 2008
Being from Meridian and knowing the Russell's really well, I know Tyler is high on state and wants to go here, but his dad keeps up with recruiting and he knows how alot of our fanbase is fellating Garrett right now, and let me tell you pops is not 100% cool with that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login