General marketing, helmet, uniforms, and Indicia thoughts (LONG and opinionated)

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I've been ruminating and digesting the multiple comments and feedback that everyone has given, which I fully respect for reasons I will expand upon later.

First, I want to give a quick H/T ("hat tip") to @Clark Griswold.sixpack: Your artwork is solid, crisp quality and I applaud your efforts and genuinely appreciate the passion behind the quality of your work - both creative and technical sides of what you are doing. Thank you for giving SPS members something to be energized about and create generally positive reactions. Keep up the great work!

To steal from a few of may fave sports journalists, here are a few "notes, quotes, and an opinion or two..."

Having orchestrated, created, and rolled out visual identity standards programs in the private sector, I can speak with some degree of experience on what works, why it works, and perhaps most importantly, how visual identity standards are created and evolve over time. The logos, taglines, colors, fonts, and other related components (which I refer to collectively as "Indicia") are outward manifestations of the essence of an organization (business, institution, etc.). The Indicia are extensions of how the organization wishes to convey its image and visual identity standards are created to administer how the general public will view the organization. There is a great book by Clive Chajet titled "Image by Design" that discusses the business strategy in all of this. (Chajet's clients included Coca-Cola, Xerox, Chrysler and American Express amongst others of name-brand repute)

One thing that is true when embarking on selected logos, colors, and other things is that it will spark reactions -- some positive, some negative -- and some unanticipated. One of my former colleagues remarked to on one such project: "I wish we had asked our employees about working more overtime and on holidays" rather than ask their opinions on one set of logos we created prior to roll out. The arguments were deeply passionate -- from the manufacturing floors to the executive board room. I will personally admit it is hard to not be immune to emotional reactions because by its nature thats what Indicia are designed to do.

The most important factor to remember is "change for the sake of change" is not enough reason. Typically, there is an underlying strategy -- the reason why - a visual change is warranted. In one of our cases it wasn't about what looked "nice" or "cool" or what people thought it should be, but moreso that our products were easily distinguished from our competitors by distributors and harder to counterfeit by overseas infringers. In the end, it was about increasing sales and profit margin, and having a consistent look amongst our dozens of business units.

Whatever MSU does in branding, it should "begin with the end in mind." (apologies to Stephen Covey). It starts at the C-suite and works its way down the "business units" of the university. I'm unclear as to what MSU's vision is -- as I am not inside any of the rooms with those people making those decisions. However, as an alumnus, I ceratinly have an opinion and a voice which I can contribute (or not contribute) and MSU can choose to acknowledge my opinions (or not acknowledge my opinions)

Now some opinions:

1. I know that MSU has visual identity standards that were enhanced / created in the '00s along with new logos, fonts, etc. Personally, I've never been a big fan of some of them, as they seemed more like a "work for hire" by someone who didn't get to understand the culture that is Mississippi State University and more specifically the athletics components. The modernized bulldog image doesn't do anything for me personally (neither did the "walking bulldog," either).

2. I believe the "We Ring True" indicia was smart and smartly marketed. So was "This is Our STATE." Both of those campagins has what I term "stickiness" -- that is to say, they are/were memorable.

3. Personally, I am a fan of consistency. I am impressed by organizations and programs that have managed to stay true to a look (and even massage it from time to time) and it still looks as consistent and fresh as when it first came out. I can just about guarantee you that whoever was behind those efforts were seasoned professionals.

4. As much I love the color maroon and have worn it damned proudly for over 3 decades, it is a hard color to work with on many levels: its not a "staple color" (e.g. black, white, gray, navy blue, etc.) and a real pain to get consistent in fabrics (I have two adidas shirts with the M-Club logo that I purchased from the M-Club that aren't maroon -- sorry to report they are crimson). Worse, it's not an "attention grabbing color" like gold, cardinal red, or orange.

Lastly, I'll leave you with a fun article that I read over 20 years ago that was from my marketing days in the private sector on Clemson's creation of their tiger paw. I recommend you read it and consider my comments and opinions above as you do.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading -- you certainly didn't have to. And if you didn't you can still: Color me "Maroon and White" forever

Stay healthy, my Bulldog friends

John Antonio dreamed up the Tiger Paw logo for Clemson athletics nearly 50 years ago​

"A phantom tiger, in a way, is more threatening than the real tiger. I'm more afraid of tigers I can't see than the ones I can," Antonio says, recalling his sales pitch on a student radio program. "The paw reminds that the tigers are around, and that should strike fear. And it wasn't cartoonish."

Link: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...eamed-up-logo-nearly-50-years-ago/2546904002/

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
So, what I got from that is our logo should be a dog turd because everyone knows you’d rather step on a dog than step in a pile of dog ****!
dog walk GIF by lilcozynostril

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Sativa has a more calming effect than Indica. However, the Sativa/Indica blends give you the best of both worlds.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Sativa has a more calming effect than Indica. However, the Sativa/Indica blends give you the best of both worlds.
Only reason I clicked was because I thought he was going to address this topic.

Also, I'm an old fart and not much interested in looking at seeing a dog lick a pile of crap.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to summarize pretty much what I've been thinking through the whole logo bitchfest. I'd add "Mississippi State" is clunky as hell to deal with and Miss (dot) State sure ain't it and agree maroon is not only a hard color to get right but "dull" as well (why our "stripe outs" don't work very well). All in all I thought they did a pretty good job with the full banner and tie back to the MState but certainly understand there are many that don't agree. Either way, we are stuck with dull maroon and clunky Mississippi State University but still damn proud of both (except last night)

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Wrong. The blends cause way more anxiety and accomplish neither well. Indica has always, and will always be the best.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I've been ruminating and digesting the multiple comments and feedback that everyone has given, which I fully respect for reasons I will expand upon later.

First, I want to give a quick H/T ("hat tip") to @Clark Griswold.sixpack: Your artwork is solid, crisp quality and I applaud your efforts and genuinely appreciate the passion behind the quality of your work - both creative and technical sides of what you are doing. Thank you for giving SPS members something to be energized about and create generally positive reactions. Keep up the great work!

To steal from a few of may fave sports journalists, here are a few "notes, quotes, and an opinion or two..."

Having orchestrated, created, and rolled out visual identity standards programs in the private sector, I can speak with some degree of experience on what works, why it works, and perhaps most importantly, how visual identity standards are created and evolve over time. The logos, taglines, colors, fonts, and other related components (which I refer to collectively as "Indicia") are outward manifestations of the essence of an organization (business, institution, etc.). The Indicia are extensions of how the organization wishes to convey its image and visual identity standards are created to administer how the general public will view the organization. There is a great book by Clive Chajet titled "Image by Design" that discusses the business strategy in all of this. (Chajet's clients included Coca-Cola, Xerox, Chrysler and American Express amongst others of name-brand repute)

One thing that is true when embarking on selected logos, colors, and other things is that it will spark reactions -- some positive, some negative -- and some unanticipated. One of my former colleagues remarked to on one such project: "I wish we had asked our employees about working more overtime and on holidays" rather than ask their opinions on one set of logos we created prior to roll out. The arguments were deeply passionate -- from the manufacturing floors to the executive board room. I will personally admit it is hard to not be immune to emotional reactions because by its nature thats what Indicia are designed to do.

The most important factor to remember is "change for the sake of change" is not enough reason. Typically, there is an underlying strategy -- the reason why - a visual change is warranted. In one of our cases it wasn't about what looked "nice" or "cool" or what people thought it should be, but moreso that our products were easily distinguished from our competitors by distributors and harder to counterfeit by overseas infringers. In the end, it was about increasing sales and profit margin, and having a consistent look amongst our dozens of business units.

Whatever MSU does in branding, it should "begin with the end in mind." (apologies to Stephen Covey). It starts at the C-suite and works its way down the "business units" of the university. I'm unclear as to what MSU's vision is -- as I am not inside any of the rooms with those people making those decisions. However, as an alumnus, I ceratinly have an opinion and a voice which I can contribute (or not contribute) and MSU can choose to acknowledge my opinions (or not acknowledge my opinions)

Now some opinions:

1. I know that MSU has visual identity standards that were enhanced / created in the '00s along with new logos, fonts, etc. Personally, I've never been a big fan of some of them, as they seemed more like a "work for hire" by someone who didn't get to understand the culture that is Mississippi State University and more specifically the athletics components. The modernized bulldog image doesn't do anything for me personally (neither did the "walking bulldog," either).

2. I believe the "We Ring True" indicia was smart and smartly marketed. So was "This is Our STATE." Both of those campagins has what I term "stickiness" -- that is to say, they are/were memorable.

3. Personally, I am a fan of consistency. I am impressed by organizations and programs that have managed to stay true to a look (and even massage it from time to time) and it still looks as consistent and fresh as when it first came out. I can just about guarantee you that whoever was behind those efforts were seasoned professionals.

4. As much I love the color maroon and have worn it damned proudly for over 3 decades, it is a hard color to work with on many levels: its not a "staple color" (e.g. black, white, gray, navy blue, etc.) and a real pain to get consistent in fabrics (I have two adidas shirts with the M-Club logo that I purchased from the M-Club that aren't maroon -- sorry to report they are crimson). Worse, it's not an "attention grabbing color" like gold, cardinal red, or orange.

Lastly, I'll leave you with a fun article that I read over 20 years ago that was from my marketing days in the private sector on Clemson's creation of their tiger paw. I recommend you read it and consider my comments and opinions above as you do.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading -- you certainly didn't have to. And if you didn't you can still: Color me "Maroon and White" forever

Stay healthy, my Bulldog friends

John Antonio dreamed up the Tiger Paw logo for Clemson athletics nearly 50 years ago​

"A phantom tiger, in a way, is more threatening than the real tiger. I'm more afraid of tigers I can't see than the ones I can," Antonio says, recalling his sales pitch on a student radio program. "The paw reminds that the tigers are around, and that should strike fear. And it wasn't cartoonish."

Link: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...eamed-up-logo-nearly-50-years-ago/2546904002/
Burger Chef was better

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to summarize pretty much what I've been thinking through the whole logo bitchfest. I'd add "Mississippi State" is clunky as hell to deal with and Miss (dot) State sure ain't it and agree maroon is not only a hard color to get right but "dull" as well (why our "stripe outs" don't work very well). All in all I thought they did a pretty good job with the full banner and tie back to the MState but certainly understand there are many that don't agree. Either way, we are stuck with dull maroon and clunky Mississippi State University but still damn proud of both (except last night)
Appreaciate your kind words. At the end of the day, these types campaigns are typcailly fall in the "easier said than done" actegory. Another thing to remember about our board is that it s only a small percentage of the audience (assuming that the MSU leadership is broadly targeting multiple demographics)

I will be the first to admit that I don't like certain elements I've seen, but I could fall into the minority. And I readily admit that I may not be the demographic that our campaigns target. However, if I actually AM in the target audeince, then MSU has deeper, fundamental problems.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login