George Washington University’s new nickname is…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Revolutionaries.

I like it. In the DC sports team nickname changes:

Revolutionaries >>>> Commanders

That said, the Bullets to Wizards change was probably better than both.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So was their original nickname offensive to the .05% ??
Some people certainly think it was offensive.

I just thought it was a bit odd & quaint.

And now the Ole Miss folks are thinking: Why didn’t we try the Revolutionary route instead of the Black Bear Landsharks. **

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
That said, the Bullets to Wizards change was probably better than both.
Have you ever seen crime statistics for Washington D.C? I think Bullets was appropriate.

I have always been curious why some teams that move chose to make a name change and some chose not to.

The Lakers came from Minnesota, the Land of 10,000 Lakes, to sunny and dry LA..

The Jazz moved from New Orleans to lily white Utah.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Have you ever seen crime statistics for Washington D.C? I think Bullets was appropriate.

I have always been curious why some teams that move chose to make a name change and some chose not to.

The Lakers came from Minnesota, the Land of 10,000 Lakes, to sunny and dry LA..

The Jazz moved from New Orleans to lily white Utah.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Their nickname used to be Colonials.

I always thought it was odd.
angus colonel GIF

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
A school named after a slave owner changing nick name because it was offensive. Makes sense.****

MSUSaint15

Oct 18, 2020
I figured they would go with "Generals," like the "George Washington Generals."

The Colonials remind me of like the Penn Quakers.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Every empire had colonies. The Mongol, Roman, Persian, Greek, Chinese, Indian, Egyptian etc. etc. etc. Empires are lauded for their longevities, their technologies, and their cultural footprint. Are the British, French, Dutch, basically European Empires worse and hated more simply because they were the most recent?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This thread has it all- claims of wokeism, posts of whataboutism, justification, faux-outrage, ambivalence, and more.
...and no, I am not criticizing anyone- my post should clearly show I just recapped the thread and thats all.

As for GW, I never thought twice about their name up to now. If it was offensive or outdated, OK cool then change it. The new name is looooong- will they just call themselves 'Revs'?
I cant see an arena chanting 'Lets go Revolutionaries!' in unison. 'Lets go Revs!' is much easier.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This one I don't get. We were Colonials before the Revolution. Dang near everywhere was a colony at one time or another.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Every empire had colonies. The Mongol, Roman, Persian, Greek, Chinese, Indian, Egyptian etc. etc. etc. Empires are lauded for their longevities, their technologies, and their cultural footprint. Are the British, French, Dutch, basically European Empires worse and hated more simply because they were the most recent?
Yes and because they're regarded as white. So many on the left don't care about the other stuff because they don't live in those countries and they've embraced the "white people are the worst" attitudes. Many are also ignorant of the rest of the world. Of course we do have our own history of slavery, segregation and white supremacy. It also doesn't help that some conservatives and Republicans fight to keep Confederate names around instead of letting that stuff go (Why was that flag on the MS state flag for so long? That was just dumb.). Also, maybe quit worshipping the good ole days. They weren't that good unless you have a poor memory. Anyway, the white tribe in America is divided and rich white progressives, people who influence media and cultural, political and social institutions, don't like prolish white people. Look at the dumb Jan 6, stormers now sitting in prison after taking all those selfies and for believing they were the true patriots protecting the integrity of our democracy. I mean, a pillow salesman thinks that way and who knows more about our electoral system than a successful, totally emotionally stable pillow salesman? Those are nice pillows, though. Revolutionairies isn't so bad. A reminder of how the country was established.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Before Yorktown, were we all not Colonials? I guess after 7-4-1776 many did not consider themselves Colonials any longer.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yes and because they're regarded as white. So many on the left don't care about the other stuff because they don't live in those countries and they've embraced the "white people are the worst" attitudes. Many are also ignorant of the rest of the world. Of course we do have our own history of slavery, segregation and white supremacy. It also doesn't help that some conservatives and Republicans fight to keep Confederate names around instead of letting that stuff go (Why was that flag on the MS state flag for so long? That was just dumb.). Also, maybe quit worshipping the good ole days. They weren't that good unless you have a poor memory. Anyway, the white tribe in America is divided and rich white progressives, people who influence media and cultural, political and social institutions, don't like prolish white people. Look at the dumb Jan 6, stormers now sitting in prison after taking all those selfies and for believing they were the true patriots protecting the integrity of our democracy. I mean, a pillow salesman thinks that way and who knows more about our electoral system than a successful, totally emotionally stable pillow salesman? Those are nice pillows, though. Revolutionairies isn't so bad. A reminder of how the country was established.
Excuse Me What GIF
the sandlot wtf GIF

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
How many black colonials were there? Most were slaves. GW is only 47% white. It's about 21% black. It's also 63% female and women today are much more progressive than men. Thus, the admin is responding to students and alumni with the name change and those who don't like it can just point out some legit hypocrisy on social media, but can't prevent these name changes from happening. I supposed we should be happy they didn't change the name to George Washington Carver University. This is a university and not Bud Light. Universities answer to a different demographic.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Before Yorktown, were we all not Colonials? I guess after 7-4-1776 many did not consider themselves Colonials any longer.
Well... technically... no, we were not all Colonials. There are a bunch of people now scattered between Oklahoma, Philadelphia, Parts of the Southwest, and Alaska that weren't. Then you have a bunch of people that I guess were technically Colonials because they were brought to live and work in the colonies... but like... not because they wanted to be.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
GW has a $2.5 billion tax free endowment. State is about $700 million. GW has some NIL funds available if it cared about that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login