Georgia drops $80M on new football practice facility

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The more things change, the more things stay the same. Is this 2006 all over again, with gold-plating of facilities?

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
This isn't a new arms race. This has been going on forever. The teams with more money have always been ahead of teams that do not have as much money when it comes to facilities

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This isn't a new arms race. This has been going on forever. The teams with more money have always been ahead of teams that do not have as much money when it comes to facilities

True, Georgia spent $90M in 2017 upgrading the stadium and practice facility.

We get to sit back and watch Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Texas A&M all compete for the natty - because there's no way in hell anyone else wins with lesser talent.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
So let me ask an honest question because I don't know. What does this new practice facility do that a player can't do in ours? Does it really increase the level of training their players can do or is it just a shiny new carrot they can wave in front of high school kids' faces saying come here and enjoy that fresh paint smell while we run the hell out of you?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
So let me ask an honest question because I don't know. What does this new practice facility do that a player can't do in ours? Does it really increase the level of training their players can do or is it just a shiny new carrot they can wave in front of high school kids' faces saying come here and enjoy that fresh paint smell while we run the hell out of you?
It's the latter. But NIL replaces facilities at this point in college football. You obviously can't have **** for facilities but NIL is now the #1 thing.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
It’s the shiny bling factor. Like the Mercedes, gold chains and Hellcats these dumb kids think is so important that mean exactly nothing and won’t be with you once you get out in the real world.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's the latter. But NIL replaces facilities at this point in college football. You obviously can't have **** for facilities but NIL is now the #1 thing.

NIL is money in player's pockets so yes its number 1 but the luxury practice facility and player development/training/diet/health stuff is part of the sell. Recruits and families have to believe they are going to the upper echelon college program with a proven advantage of making it to the NFL. That's what Saban has sold and delivered for years, now Bama is just one of several doing the same thing.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Its a much nicer backdrop for their Instagram and Tik Tok. Which means way more than you think, and definitely way more than it should.

But yes, NIL still trumps all. But its all proportional. A school that can build an $80 million practice facility is going to have no problem putting $10-$15 million into a single recruiting class.

Last edited:

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Wit the building cost increase with all the supply chain worker shortages I think they actually spent 40% less than that 3 yeast ago***

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
True, Georgia spent $90M in 2017 upgrading the stadium and practice facility.

We get to sit back and watch Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Texas A&M all compete for the natty - because there's no way in hell anyone else wins with lesser talent.

And how is that different from the past?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
for those keeping count, that is $12M more than we spent on the new Dude

Better than any NFL training facility, better than Alabama... welcome to the new arms race. Gotta pay to play and pay to win.

https://news.yahoo.com/university-georgia-spent-80-million-154658995.html

Add to this $112.5M 10 year contract for Kirby.

Easy there Tonto. Jerrah put in a 12,000 seat covered stadium and 16 story Omni with a rooftop pool at his practice facility.

View attachment 24774

But, yes, UGA has lost their marbles after finally winning one. Word is the Aggies are putting a Buc-ee's in their $125 million practice facility upgrade in honor of their crootin natty this year.*

View attachment 24775

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
For $25 a month you too can sponsor a poor college athlete and another $25 a month will build them a play pretty.

Operators are standing by, call now!

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Cowboys take the practice facility crown in August when it opens. $1.5 billion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login