Germantown HS job

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Can someone with knowledge explain to me how that isn’t a year-in-and-out playoff program? John Lewis, Harris, and Robinson all on the same team last year and they go 0’for in the district and I think did the same again.
Is it the new school issue? I coach against a fairly new school each year and they’re awful. No school pride. No community involvement. No admin that care. What’s the deal there? On the outside it looks like a school that should be a yearly title contender.

Jan 13, 2008
The culture is soft there. I’ve heard that from many people. Good school and facilities. Good administration and coaches.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
When the Memphis city schools merged with the Shelby county schools a few years ago, Germantown high school wound up in the Memphis/Shelby system and the city of Germantown started their own system. Most of the town high schoolers attend Houston high...a good school with a good sports programs.
So, thanks to a Memphis power play, Germantown high is circling downward and not on the way up.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure why they’re not better, but that district is murderers row. Madison Central, Starkville. Clinton, Oxford, Tupelo. Warren Central & South Panola were in it last year & NW Rankin used to be in it too.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Madison Central sucks up all the football attention in that area. MC is "all in" from the administration to the community to the parents. Similar situation between Brandon and NWR. NWR has never put the emphasis on football like Brandon. Flowood/Rez people are mostly transplants, while Brandon has a lot of second and third generation families from Brandon (and 1990s refugees from South Jackson). Similar situation between Madison and Gluckstadt.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Talent is limited compared to the other schools in their classification and district. Robinson was hurt this year. Harris is nothing special.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I’m gonna comment because it’s my turf. Horrendous

Coaching is pretty much the problem. Parent and community support is top notch but the coaching has been terrible and I mean terrible.
Anyone with a pulse is going to look like a genus.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
1. They haven’t had 6A elite coaching. Until this year, they had the same coach that stated with the school when it was a 4A school 11 years ago. He’s a great guy and was very likable but in over his head on 6A football.

2. That district is brutal. They went from the easiest district in 5A to the most difficult district in 6A. They almost beat Clinton this year and that would have probably changed their season. Madison central, Starkville, Oxford are all in that district.

3. If you live in Flora, you have to pass two Germantown schools to get to your middle and high school. Those lines were drawn funky for a reason.

4. There are some good athletes at Germantown that don’t waste their falls with football. Germantown is a playoff team in most other sports.

5. The community support is way better than most high schools, but it’s way behind madison central. That’s discouraging when you share a district and are neighbors with them.

Aug 3, 2019
Here in Texas, Aledo is a perennial power. They're also one of the wealthiest schools in the State. That said, they manage to get some Section 8 housing and trailer parks in order to get some athletes.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
66 is correct. Their longest serving coach was a wing t guy. That school should be running some variation of the spread.

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
Best thing that’s happened is Perry taking on the AD roll. He’s trying to get things right and he’s doing a good job at it. School has top tier talent but is missing a lot of the role fillers that your MCs and Clinton’s have. That will continue to improve as the district grows. The student section involvement has always been absolute crap but improved this year as it went on.

The Band is a fantastic show band but needs to improve the in game music. It kind of reminds me of the old movie Drumline. GHS band will hit them with Flight of the Bumblebee while MCs and even Tupelo’s Pep Band has the entire visitor side hyped up and drowning the home side out.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
So from what you and 66 said, it sounds like it’s one guy away from making it into something. A Sam Williams type. I worked under one of those a few years ago who has now turned a mediocre 6A program into a powerhouse in a couple of years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
On point 3, the Germantown schools you mention did not exist when the lines were drawn. They were all east of 55

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Madison Central sucks up all the football attention in that area. MC is "all in" from the administration to the community to the parents. Similar situation between Brandon and NWR. NWR has never put the emphasis on football like Brandon. Flowood/Rez people are mostly transplants, while Brandon has a lot of second and third generation families from Brandon (and 1990s refugees from South Jackson). Similar situation between Madison and Gluckstadt.
This had been changing, in regards to Brandon and NWR, but now Hartfield sucks up a lot of pretty good athletes that could be helping NWR. And Brandon is growing so fast, with people from all over. I've always thought it funny how people claim Brandon puts all this emphasis on football, but they've never won anything. Pearl is the only one that has been there.

With Sam Williams, that will probably change soon. I see Brandon eventually winning.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When the Memphis city schools merged with the Shelby county schools a few years ago, Germantown high school wound up in the Memphis/Shelby system and the city of Germantown started their own system. Most of the town high schoolers attend Houston high...a good school with a good sports programs.
So, thanks to a Memphis power play, Germantown high is circling downward and not on the way up.
Sports is probably the only thing suffering, though. Most towns with a city school seem to be OK. Pearl is like that, their school still seems to be very good, although sports has gone downhill from what it once was.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
It’s more structural at the district level than just what goes on at Germantown. Ten years ago Germantown High school didn’t exist. Now it’s a 6a school. It doesn’t seem to have the same structural support within the district. By that, I mean there a 5 school board members. Three of them live in the Madison Central district.

One member recently resigned and the board replaced the retired member with another Madison Central guy, who is very well qualified. But it keeps Madison Central at 3 of 5 reps.

The issue here is that MC parents and constituents would never ever tolerate mediocrity at MC for very long and parents wear board members out about performance - yet Shramek was a “company man - loyal long time employee” and was able to stay as long as he wanted despite every indication he was not going to move the athletic dept in a modern direction. (Same happens in academics too. MC can trot out 30 or more merit scholars and Germantown is lucky to have one or two a year. GHS academic performance is embarrassing compared to MC.)

Germantown parents need to become very active in redistricting for board members. School boards are required to redistrict every 10 years and I would assume the board is working behind closed doors to draw new lines right now. Germantown people need to make sure there is a majority district drawn so Germantown at least has some representation on the board.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
My biggest counter to that is that RHS has swung for the fences the last 3 hires, especially the last 2. They got the hottest name in hs in the metro and followed it up with a state title winning coach at different schools. Ridgeland wants to win.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
You’re right

My biggest counter to that is that RHS has swung for the fences the last 3 hires, especially the last 2. They got the hottest name in hs in the metro and followed it up with a state title winning coach at different schools. Ridgeland wants to win.

Ridgeland has had some good coaching hires. Why is that? How is Ridgeland able to do that but not Germantown? The reason is that somebody, someplace accepts mediocrity for Germantown. It’s not just the principal making that call - to keep the same guy for 11 years that had been a career assistant until a school opened up in his district. And, could’ve probably stayed forever had he not retired to Mhsaa. It’s higher up than that.

Does the district give the same salary budget to GHS? Does a group of folks not want another school in the district competing with MC in football? These are the sorts of things that may not even be intentional, but with 3 members of the board living in the MC district, it sure seems set up to benefit MC at a governance level.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login