Give Lil Ball Coach a Letter Grade...

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
C+

his play calling was on par with how plays were called during regular season. I did like that we added in some option runs.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
C+ but Will made two terrible throwing decisions that cost a full letter grade.

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
Mason should have been oc, he could have made adjustments. Head coach should have known that

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
At the half (mid term) he had an F. Now the last drive mixing in the run I must say moved him up to a D+ And Because im grading on a victory curve.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
C. I give a little of the first half to emotions but adjustments should have been made to their defensive scheme. Will didn't do him any favors.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
B-/C+

2 TOs made it worse than it was. The one in the end zone was especially bad, the other one looked like a 50/50 ball.

We moved the ball pretty well, and the 2nd half was much better than the 1st.

Oct 31, 2014
B-. Once he settled in, he called an OK game. I don't think Leach would have run the ball as much in the second half (but I also think running the ball was the right call).

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
B-. Once he settled in, he called an OK game. I don't think Leach would have run the ball as much in the second half (but I also think running the ball was the right call).
I feel like running the ball worked because the Illinois defense didn't really respect it, or expect it with 2 minutes left.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Spurrier gets a D at best.

Will played with a lot of nerves and made several bad decisions checking to the run against loaded boxes in the first half. His first INT was tipped at the line and therefore not his fault. The second was suspect at best (I could argue for egregious) but ultimately was no worse than a punt. He played better in the second half and the TD throw to tie the game was amazing, but even he said that Leach would’ve been disappointed with his performance.

That said, Spurrier Jr (is YOUNG Ball Coach acceptable?) did nothing to help him and made no adjustments as the game went on. Illinois played man coverage for the majority of the game and Leach & Rogers would’ve torched that (see LSU 2019). Spurrier is not OC material and I sincerely hope we don’t make him one.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
C for offense. Too predictable. Not aggressive enough and didn't mix in enough runs early.
However, I thought head coach calls we were more conservative than leach. We punted a lot and took points. I think that won the game honestly. Arnett bet on his defense and played conservative. I liked that. Rather than going for it on our own 35 or 40

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
C. Illinois had a good defense. But we didn’t adjust to what they were doing very well. Seems like we just ran our plays, but honestly that’s not too far off from what Leach did. I think you have to at least somewhat consider matchups.

We won the game and moved the ball a little, so not terrible. But any of us who actually watched knows the offense was not good in any way.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I put the offensive struggles on Will. You could see he was pretty emotional and he was trying too hard. When he started being more patient and we ran it more the offense started working. I say C+. That is a good defense

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Hard to say. He called a B game in regards to our offensive scheme. It’s hard to say how many plays Will called at the line though. I don’t know enough about Spurrier to judge. Does he have original ideas he would implement during an off season? We may never know, but I suspect Coach ZA does.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Overall: B
Defense: A-
Offense: C+
SP Teams: B+
QB: C

Not great but a win is a win. 9-4 baby, should have been 10-3. Parting shot: "Wait until next Year".

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login