Give this to the Basketball team about our free throws

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Athleticism is great. Exciting to watch etc etc

But if you're a BASKETBALL PLAYER you should first and foremost be able to put the BALL in the BASKET.

It should be a pride thing.

Work on it until you are good at it.

Right now it's pathetic, and they should have enough pride to fix it.

Ridiculous...

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
At this point I think the whole team has the yips, because I don't believe that an entire team of D-1 basketball players are actually this bad at shooting FTs. But I'm not sure how they can get past it...someone needs to teach them to not think about it so much and loosen up, like Rube Baker in Major League 2.

Reactions: AFDawg

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
not one player at an acceptable free throw shooting average of 75%. NOT A SINGLE PLAYER.

View attachment 296565
I played basketball in high school and shot a team high 95% from the line. It’s all about coaching and practice. I wanted to be the best, so I practiced in my free time constantly. I went on to coach a little and had my guys practicing more free throws than most teams and we shot better. It’s so dang easy it’s borderline negligence on this coaching staff and most others. It’s not surprising we can’t shoot from the field if we can’t shoot a FREE throw.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
That’s an amazing stat…….. there are 8 teams worse than MSU? An absolutely breathtaking number.

what conference are they in? Do they make teams in that conference turn around and lob the ball over their heads in free throw situations?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That’s an amazing stat…….. there are 8 teams worse than MSU? An absolutely breathtaking number.

what conference are they in? Do they make teams in that conference turn around and lob the ball over their heads in free throw situations?
one is actually Minnesota who we beat early in the season

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The stats haven’t updated since Jan. 10, so after our performance last night we may actually be even closer to rock bottom.

Reactions: onewoof

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Correct. We might be the absolute worst in the country

There are some truly shhh hitt tahhh basketball teams shooting free throws better, to much better, than the formerly (never to be again this season) Top 20 Mississippi State Bulldogs.

It's an embarrassment.

Practice nothing else until you can do it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We're #343, we're #343! Hang a banner from the ceiling of the tunnel that they can see when they run onto the court

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
What’s surprising to me is that the announcers mentioned several times that Jans told them that we practice FT’s “all he time” and shoot them well in practice. It’s just not transferring to the games.

is it nerves, confidence,…?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What’s surprising to me is that the announcers mentioned several times that Jans told them that we practice FT’s “all he time” and shoot them well in practice. It’s just not transferring to the games.

is it nerves, confidence,…?
You have to practice it in pressure competitive situations in practice. Like it is in a game. When you're tired and you go from running to standing and everyone watching you.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's hard to be a tic tok influencer, look-at-me celebrator, hold-that-pose warrior, while shooting free throws. Maybe we should encourage our social media people to create some gangster tik tok videos that make successful free throw shooting appear to be the in thing.
No lie. Let's go wild when any free throw is made and share it across Twitter like it's better than a dunk or 3

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I know we were 342 before Georgia. Given our 7 of 22 shooting in the game last night I'm expecting us to move further down. I don't think I've ever seen a team that will likely end up missing the big dance strictly off free throw shooting but that will likely be us this year. Last night we lost by 8 and were outscored by 18 off the free throw line. We shot 31% and GA shot 81%,

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
At this point I think the whole team has the yips, because I don't believe that an entire team of D-1 basketball players are actually this bad at shooting FTs. But I'm not sure how they can get past it...someone needs to teach them to not think about it so much and loosen up, like Rube Baker in Major League 2.
I think it goes deeper than that. I think at this point when you combine free throws, and lay-up misses, then combine them with our terrible perimeter shooting, it comes down to the simple fact that they have no confidence in themselves. I don't know what it's going to take to fix this, and I'm not sure you can. It will take the proverbial flip of the switch for the entire team to catch fire. Otherwise we're going to struggle the rest of the season.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I know we were 342 before Georgia. Given our 7 of 22 shooting in the game last night I'm expecting us to move further down. I don't think I've ever seen a team that will likely end up missing the big dance strictly off free throw shooting but that will likely be us this year. Last night we lost by 8 and were outscored by 18 off the free throw line. We shot 31% and GA shot 81%,
We are 349 now out of 352 teams. Less than 60% from the line as a team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login